Zooming in Layout

The tool options for zooming in Layout have an obvious exception: zooming to window.

Sure, you can zoom in and out in the usual way but doing that repeatedly can be a bore. Being able to engage a tool and then draw a window size allows you to zoom to the extent required much faster. When you have a lot of snap points close together, you have to able to do something like this because there is no way to select particular types of snap points or temporarily turning unwanted types off.

Most software that allows zooming seems to have this as an option. Can we have it in LO too?

Hey Simon,

I think this is a pretty neat idea. Do other applications enable this mode through a key modifier, or is it a separate zoom tool entirely? How would you expect to see it implemented inside of LO?

Thanks,
Adam

Adam, the ones I have seen have a dedicated tool and icon. So I guess that, alongside Zoom Extents, Zoom to Page, etc, you’d have a menu item called something like Zoom to View plus an appropriate icon. Then you might also be able to set a shortcut of your own making to speed up selection.

I will rack my brain to try to remember where else I have used such a tool and put a link here if I find it.

Got it!

I use eDrawings as an AC clone and that has a Zoom to Area tool that does exactly what I describe. It even zooms in on the fly, rather than just jumping straight to the selected area, which is unnecessary but cool!

I expect this used to happen in other such 2D software such as ACLT and the Dassault version, which I no longer use.

A lot of zoom-wheel-spinning could be avoided with a dedicated move command in LO.

Imagine this scenario:
you want to move a small object from one side of the page to the other side, far way from the original position.
Currently the 4-way arrow cursor of the move tool appears when hovering over the selected object, but it shows up only when zoomed in to a certain magnification level. Then half way through the moving process you have to zoom out again to reach the final destination. That’s convoluted.

Dear LO developer team: Enable the use of the Connexion Space Mouse, please.

1 Like

With AHK (Windows only) I have some shortcuts enabled that zooms right in and zooms in and out in discrete amounts. And of course there’s zoom to page or zoom extents.

Of course, the SM is designed for moving about in 3D space not a 2D environment like LO. However, if you could so map it that sideways movements panned and forwards/backwards zoomed in/out, it could be very useful.

Can your self-made shortcuts zoom in/out at the cursor location, effectively achieving planning?
Or do they work from the center of the page, just like ctrl+plus and ctrl+minus (same controls as Adobe. I also use Ctrl+0 for zoom to page often in LO by the way).

I think Trimble and 3DConnexion would have to get together to add support for Layout. There are already some 2D apps that have SM hooks, such as Safari, Photoshop, MS Office, and others. For example, spin right and left zoom in and out on Safari.

I can zoom in and out wherever the cursor is.

The AHK script uses the wheelup and wheeldown function

Sure, that makes sense. I guess a lot of professional users of SU would have a SM just because it makes navigation so much easier and nicer, plus it releases the standard mouse for other tasks. So there is logic to extending its use to LO in my view. If it’s a relatively small tweak that Trimble could make, it might qualify as developer’s low hanging fruit.

Ohhhh, nice! Would you mind sharing the AHK code with us?
It would make LO life easier, for sure!
Cheers!

;Zoom In
~q::
if (!A_CaretX)
send {WheelUp 20}
return

This works for me.

q is my shortcut key.

The (!A_CaretX) prevents the code from running if a text bar is blinking (I’ve run into some issues with some attempted scripts because there are occasions when the measurement box is active but there is not a blinking text bar).

You can change the WheelUp/WheelDown value to suit your zooming requirements.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge here, Paul! Appreciated.

Unfortunately, nobody but the SketchUp and 3dConnexion developers can know whether this is a simple thing or a major effort. Considering the struggles 3DC goes through getting their drivers right, especially on Mac, I suspect it is the latter.