Zoom speed in layout

I agree we NEED an improved zoom speed for Scroll Wheel, but, until that happens I concur with Sim’s reply above… Set shortcut keys for Zoom-in and Zoom-out. The commands I use more than any other are Zooming in/out and with such a dis-functional scroll wheel speed I decided to try shortcuts about a week ago and lucked out THIS time. :slight_smile:

It works so well I’m thinking I might incorporate it into my Sketchup settings.

Here’s what I did for shortcuts…

I looked for simple single key shortcuts (no cntrl+ etc since i’ll be using this constantly) that would be relatively close to each other on the keyboard and be somewhat intuitive. The clear choice for me was F (forward) and B (backward). With those shortcut keys re-assigned to the zoom-in and zoom-out all you need to do is pan once to put your target area centered on screen and bang away on the F key for a zoom speed that’s fast as you want. It really does work very well. I find it works so well I rarely use the B to zoom-out. Instead, I use the Zoom-to-page icon in my toolbar then Pan and …bang away on the F key!

I did need to assign a new shortcut for Style … i chose S.

And the shortcuts do not support zooming while in the middle of another command, so, we do still NEED an improved scroll wheel zoom speed!

I hope some find this as helpful as I have.
Cheers

2 Likes

Hi BobH-

Thanks for sharing your workaround. This issue is definitely on our radar. As usual I’m not allowed to promise any particular release date for a fix, but I can say that we’re fully aware of how much dissatisfaction there is with the current zoom speed.

Thanks,
Marc

Ian, thanks for nod on this. I’ve have finally found the time to download and give it a try. And I have to say it works really well. It makes the manoeuvring around LayOut process much more palatable (before Trimble give us the control over this we need).

Looking into the complexity of the X-Mouse software I wondered if it would be possible to reverse the middle mouse button click functionality to pan, instead of orbit, (and also Ctrl+Middle Button to orbit)?? I’ve given it a go but can’t get it to work. Do you have any idea whether this is possible?

Marc, thanks for acknowledging the issue which many of us are experiencing and that it’s on your radar. I’d like to add a few words into your final sentence to add some additional clarity if I could…“but I can say that we’re fully aware of how much dissatisfaction there is with the current lack of customisability and control over zoom speed”

Brilliant! that’s just saved me loads of time and frustration.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.