WishList for next 3D Boot/Basecamp

With our presentation it was a disaster. The projector didn’t liked my macbook pro retina. First the projector didn’t show anything (black screen) after trying every resolution and adapter (HDMI / DVI / VGA) we suddenly had a screen. I don’t think it was even VGA resolution and the screen was distorted. The AV company wasn’t around that time.

I’m not sure the developer side of these things, but it was actually usable without connection to the internet. Hence, the schedule of the event, venue map, some information of other attendees were saved on your phone. And the ease of uploading pictures…

I agree with @DaveR. I was able to see everything and read clearly.

Perhaps you were connected to VGA?
Unfortunate that you didn’t have any AV guys at that time.

I agree with @eneroth3 and @Guy

Those with a device capable of running the app all seemed to enjoy it.
I think those without a device capable of running the app all felt more than a little left out. I know I did.

Relying solely on a mobile app fails to recognize not all attendees have such a device.
And that those who do might be very concerned about large data roaming fees when far from home.

A few large format event schedules placed here and there would certainly help folks. But paper?
If we’re going back to analog, may as well make it editable and revert to chalkboards.

Hats off to all the Sheraton’s staff! They outdid themselves throughout the event.
But in terms of venue, I think the Sheraton’s infrastructure is more than a bit behind the times.
Typically, venues have permanently installed information display monitors throughout the landscape.

I couldn’t help but notice concern over electrical power along the vendors’ corridor.
As too few outlets along the corridor gave birth to a tangle of long extension cords and power strips, I saw Sheraton’s professional maintenance staff meticulously inventory individual device loads.
Hats off twice to them for keeping everything running safe and smooth!

1 Like

@Geo, they could write on a big piece of paper, too. =) And a giant piece of paper doesn’t fail as often as technology, and doesn’t need to be plugged in.

Realistically, though, an app seems economical and practical. If someone still doesn’t have a mobile device next time, perhaps they can partner up with someone who does, or use someone’s spare device for the event.

The A/V guys were awesome.

It might be cool to have a whole hour set aside for vendor demonstrations. Maybe reduce the keynote to only an hour and a half to fit it in, and have the vendors set up in conference rooms, but with open doors. Half of the awesomeness of SketchUp is the extensions, so it would be cool to dedicate more time to them. I bet that’s where people were during the 4-5 “ask for help” hour anyway. So maybe SketchUp could just have a help booth all the time for people who have questions, but next to the extension booths, and 4:15-5:30 could officially be extension presentation time in the rooms.

It would also be cool if each booth had a carnie showman to chatter up and capture the attention of passersby. And if he/she wore a fun hat and jacket :tophat:. I think I just really like carnivals…:circus_tent:

Bathrooms without a 1,5 cm gap around the cubicle doors would be nice too. I prefer privacy when I’m in the bathroom.

My wishlist for the next Basecamp is a la carte day purchases. This year I’d like to attend the two day boot camp and day Thursday’s presentation. It would be nice to be able to add on a day for a fee or choose your days for a fee.

In 2018, they had different looking

• badges:
    employees: dessert night colored, all the rest: dessert morning colors
  • and t-shirts:
    employees: flamingo-rose (two actually transformed into flamingos), rest: turquoise like that cocktail
  • and pin-back buttons for more fine-granular differentiation.
    Unfortunately anyone could grab any button so you could not be sure someone really is a developer or a sage or just an owl-lover.

As I understand you, you would like non-employees who have a special role to be somewhat visually promoted?