Windows 10 cant reinstall sketchup make as there is already a version on this computer ( but i cant find it)

installation

downloaded sketchupmake in windows 7 professional. but decided to upgrade to windows 10. after i did some programs wouldn’t work so i went back to windows 7, which couldn’t download anything and kept telling me dnsapi.dll was missing from my computer. So i went back to windows 10 (re-upgraded if you will). though i couldn’t find sketchup so i decided to uninstall and reinstall. however every time i try to reinstall puter tells me there is already a version installed and to use add/remove programs to uninstall it. though when i try to the computer cant find it, I have tried cleaners and virus hunters to find all remaining files and got rid of them but still computer insists there is a version already installed…please someone help me with this? cant afford to get a new computer…HELP!!!

What’s the timeline on all of this?.. I’m reading that you’ve installed an OS four times and it sounds as if that ‘might’ have happened in a relatively short period of time. If I were to do all this I’d be working on it for a good 3 or 4 days.

I’m not sure how long it took you, but if you pushed an expedited approach, then perhaps thats the source of the problem.

Also, Can we take this all at face value?. . . Was the move into Windows 10 from Win7 truly an upgrade installation… and NOT a fresh and full install of Win 10?

And then when you went back into Win 7, How exactly did that happen?.. Was it by way of a recovery disc, a download, a disc partition?.. And more importantly do you know what build version that was. . . and then when you were all done with the install—did you then install any of the necessary Service Packs, and numerous updates that were probably also available.

If your source code for Windows 7 was from an early build, then the process of updating everything into the full maturity of that OS would take much longer to perform than simply installing the OS files from wherever you got them from (and in whatever build version they were).

This is why I’m asking about the timeline. I’m curious as to what version you landed on when rolling back into the Win 7 OS.

Searches for the dnsapi.dll file results in a update (KB2509553) where Microsoft released a new version of that particular file. Whether or not you had that is uncertain. but an outdated version of it might have triggered that message you received.

I’m not a big fan of the OS upgrade approach. I much prefer a full and fresh install between major OS releases, but then of course that comes with a lot of extra work in terms of having to reinstall everything. So I certainly understand the desire to avoid all of that. And in all fairness the upgrade method has been getting better, so perhaps I’m still holding on to the past experiences where it often was a guaranteed approach to screw up your system.

In general, Programs that hook closely into the hardware (and its drivers) tend to not fair too well via the upgrade approach, and it’s usually best to install those following a full OS install. But of course that’s just my opinion.

Installed programs which don’t show up in the add/remove programs list could be absent due to how the list is filtered. Did you try to adjust any of the ways in which you can view this list?

If so, and if they still weren’t there, then there is probably some entry for them within the registry. But I couldn’t tell you were that would be, and you probably shouldn’t go looking from them if you’re not already familiar with doing so, as you could end up with problems worse than what you already have, and the solution for that would require an OS install to sort out the mess.

Yet ironically, I feel as if you need a full install of your OS anyhow. But asking you to actually do this is a bit more than I’m prepared to do given the time that’s involved. So I’d first recommend that you wait to hear from one of the SketchUp folks. If not in this forum – then by way of contacting technical support.

And of course if you can clarify a little more about how your OS install process went, given the questions that I asked… Maybe something else will come up first.

What I’ve said so far isn’t necessarily good news… So, if you want to hear a little bit of that then I’ll say this… I certainly don’t think that you’re going to need to buy a new computer. Not because of the problems which you’ve mentioned. So I wouldn’t worry about that at all.

Hope this all helps out a little bit, and I’m looking forward to any answers that you might have to my questions.

Take Care,

Jim

it was over a few weeks. I went back to windows 7 professional as that is the OS i had. I used the system that was supplied with my windows 10 upgrade to reverse the process. I hate typing so unless you have a real solution i really dont feel to go into an indepth timeline of what i did. I followed the instructions given to me, thats is all you need to know unless your a technician with a solution. all actions on my part regarding the upgrade were given by microsoft. I change nothing as that is not my job to fiddle with things designed by others. Given the number of programs i have, there was no way i would do a full and fresh install and this wasnt the option i was given.

That answers my main question. I wasn’t really looking for a detailed list to fill out the full timeline. But I can see why you might think so.

The main thing I was worried about was that in rolling back to Win 7 you might be having to reinstall from an old set of discs that didn’t include the service pack updates, or any the other recent updates which Microsoft releases on a nearly monthly basis.

Going with the defaults is fine so long as you can get away with it. The upgrade approach is there for convenience mainly, But that’s not to be mistaken as the best option to take just because its what was listed as recommended. Sometimes you have to go with the full install because that’s the only way to can get out from under the residue left behind of an older OS.

This isn’t merely my opinion, it’s more of me regurgitating rather standard advice as to the best approach to take if you’re looking to get the best install out of a new OS. One that doesn’t have any issue with the problem of previous versions. . . And of course it’s a big hassle, and time consuming, and as I hope you recall something that I said I wouldn’t ask of you since it is so time consuming. You should certainly get a 2nd opinion as to the necessity of having to do so.

You might consider contacting SketchUp Tech Support, and see what they have to say about SketchUp being installed even though you can’t verify it within the add/remove program list.

I mentioned one option above where the listed results might be filtered in such as was as to not show up, or possibly it’s being obscured within the list—in the event that the list is being sorted by something other than the program name.

No I’m not a technician, and I never said I was. But I am inquisitive, and I don’t mean for that to come off in a interrogating way. . . I was just trying to get at what the full nature of the upgrade, and subsequent rollback processes was that you took.

That’s not all that common, and doing so twice is even less so. That’s why I used the tone of trying to nail down exactly what happened. But it’s not meant as a personal attack. Just trying to attack the problem, yes,… but not you directly, which I hope you understand.