Why does Installer want to shut down Sandboxie?

Went to install SketchUp on my main machine (I have it on a win 10 laptop), and it tells me it has to shut down Sandboxie Control to finish the install. Why? The only reasons I can think of raise HUGE privacy issues.

Sandboxie does Nothing to SketchUp on installation or even running unless I tell it to. Which I haven’t. So the only reason to even notice its on my machine is to try to get around it.

Unless I hear something to convince me otherwise, SketchUp will never be installed on my main computer, and I’m seriously considering removing it from my laptop as well.

Can you reveal who tells it (source of message), and what it tells (message content)?
Best by a screenshot!

Windows 10 is not yet approved as a SketchUp compatible operating system.

See:

It’s not uncommon for installers to say something like: “disable your antivirus software”. It isn’t saying to leave it disabled, just while you are installing the application.

That aside, you might want to get the Windows 10 compatible Sandboxie, maybe that one won’t trigger the message from the SketchUp installer:

http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=21354

Because SketchUp Terms of Service and the Software Requirements (quoted below,) makes clear that running SketchUp under virtual environments is restricted and not supported.

Virtualized Environments
At this time, SketchUp doesn’t support operation in a virtualized environments such as VMWare or Citrix.
Per the SketchUp Pro Terms of Service: You may not use or host the Software in a virtual server environment.

(Ie, it is not designed to run that way. It saves settings to the user hive of the Windows Registry, registers it’s filetypes in the Registry, needs to write a license information file to it’s %ProgramData% path, and needs access to the machine’s NIC adapter to complete license setup.)

Dan, I think these are two different things. I have SketchUp Make 2015 running in Windows 10, under Parallels on my Mac. That’s what is unsupported, but it does happen to work well.

Chris is using a Windows environment controlling thingy (I think thingy is the right technical term). The idea would be that you could run any application in a way that prevents the application from getting access to any other application’s data. Presumably all the other Windows 10 applications are coping with that control, is there a good reason why SketchUp would be any different?

Perhaps I speak “Windowian” and you speak “Macish” ? (ie, “thingy”)

Regardless I stand by what I said.

Wikipedia: Sandbox(computer_security)

In the sense of providing a highly controlled environment, sandboxes may be seen as a specific example of virtualization.

Yes, you’re a windowy kinda guy. I don’t dispute that strict sandboxes are a form of virtual environments, but it seems reasonable that if all other Windows apps can cope with that kind of security, SketchUp should too.

Still curious if turning of Sandboxie just during the SketchUp installation solves the problem.

Does anyone believe SketchUp has hard-coded “if sandboxie then refuse installation”?

Unless we get details about the exact error that prevented installation (it could be a side-effect, not the pure fact of using sandboxie), we can put it aside and don’t really need to come to a conclusion whether it’s controlled or virtualized.

If Sandboxie is not official part of the operating system, and affects execution of applications, it’s likely not tested or supported by SketchUp QA.

I do not. I suspect it is spit out by the Microsoft Installer, when the SketchUp msi wants to write to the Registry, and cannot.

But then it is Windows 10, and we’ve seen all sorts of weirdness with people trying to install it or run it.

It is not. It is a 3rd-party crippleware product.