Why cant I open multiple Sketchup models on a PC, But I can on a Mac?

I nearly always have a few files open at once but still don’t see any reason for a tabbed interface. I want to be able to switch to any open models at once directly on the taskbar. I want to work on one file while another instance is saving or freezing for other reasons. I want to continue having all other files open and keep my work if one instance crashes. Sure, you can have separate processes under the hood for each file and yet a separate process handling the tab interface like modern browsers, but I still don’t see why. In my experience SketchUp’s non-tabbed interface is much better than LayOut’s tabbed interface.

I will have multiple models open at any one time as separate instances, usually a master model and SU files referencing the master model. It has never occured to me to have them all open in one instance of SU. That would be super annoying for me. But, sure, why not allow multiple files open in one instance if it’s possible…

What I do find super annoying (but I live with it) is not being able to have multiple instances of Layout open at the same time.

1 Like

Did you read my reply and look at the gif. Do you get a similar result in your right click context menu?
If no then there is an issue with how Windows Explorer is working with Sketchup.
If you are unable to right click and choose a version then there is a problem.
But you didn’t bother to respond to that.

The part you did mention is most likely the problem.
Find the installation file for Sketchup, right click on it and select Run as Administrator and when given the option choose Repair.

This!

Why can’t I have LayOut 2020 and 2019 at the same time to compare changes and track down when a bug was introduced? Why can’t I have it open in two languages side by side to see what translation it uses of certain phrases? Why can’t I have multiple projects in separate instances and work on one while one is rendering?

Sure, the first use case is maybe for quite extreme power users and SU’s QA team and developers, but the second case includes trainers and other people, and the third would benefit basically every user. The LayOut multi document interface in my view solves a problem that didn’t exist and instead introduces so many new ones.

I did. And I do see the correct options. but not all options. Looks like I have 2018, 2019, and 2020 installed on my PC. But for some reason, only 2018 and 2019 show up as options. I have to go to “choose another app” which still doesn’t show 2020 as an option so then I have to click the down arrow to show “more apps” which STILL doesnt show 2020 as an option so then I have to use “choose another app on this PC” which then opens a explorer window which I have to then browse to the 2020 app and then I can open it.

I agree. Separate open files is way better than tabbed. I just don’t like that I cant open a new file and have the one I’m working on close. If opening multiple files in sketchup is pretty common for peoples work flows, seems like there would be a more streamlined way to do it.
Again. normally this isn’t really that big of an issues. It’s only on my mind now becuase I’m having to deal with using multiple files on different version of Sketchup and the “fun” and messiness that comes along with it.

I wouldn’t even call it an issue. The only annoyance I can glean from this is that you see multiple icons in the taskbar.

I can’t see how the two are related. Using multiple versions of sketchup would always result in separate apps being open. And I still can’t figure out why you feel the need to have an old version of sketchup running along side the current one in the first place.

Why don’t you just uninstall the old version or stop using it completely? It serves no real purpose and seems to be frustrating you.

@monospaced I think you missed the point that he needs the earlier version as it runs extensions that aren’t currently working in 2020.
For example opening things in 2018 because you want to use MSPhysics.

@davidhard have you tried the Repair option I suggested.

1 Like