Why can’t I push/pull a circle from a plane to create a solid cylinder? It is hollow and red

This must be a simple newbie qu but don’t see any answers with mr google

Share the SketchUp file with us so we can see what you are working with. I expect it’ll be a simple enough fix. Maybe you made the thing a group or component and locked it. Just a W. A. Guess though.

Tks Dave - sorry haven’t read the getting started (sure there must be one!) How do I share a SketchUp file?

Drag the.skp file into your reply.

Aha
Velox Pants latest.skp (620.3 KB)
That was easy. I’m trying to pull the circles up to make a boss then push the central circle down (and thru) to make a hole

To help achieve your goals, some time spent at the SketchUp Campus and at the SketchUp - YouTube channel will be very worthwhile. Both sites are from the SketchUp team. On the YouTube channel, pay attention to the Square One Series. It covers the basics for each tool.

1 Like

The face is red because that is the backface colour of the template you have chosen.
The cylinder is hollow because that is the way it works.
If you pushpull a single face it will naturally form a 3d shape, including the first face.
But when you push or pull on a face that is part of another face the original face technically moves with the tool. This is what you would expect if you wanted to make depressions. It would be very annoying to always get faces that needed to be removed.
To keep the original face you can tap ctrl, this gives you the tiny+ on the cursor, and it will leave the original face behind.

4 Likes

Thanks Box - was tearing my hair out! Great explanation & vid !!

Thanks for the pointers - I hate coming in and skipping to “help me” but was I’m in a real hurry. I need to spend some quality learning time. Great forum.