Which one? And Why?

I’m trying to ascertain whether it is worth it to go to PRO from the FREE 2017 version of SU. If I pay the $299 version, will I be able to use it without an online connection? Does it run faster than the $119 version…what’s the operational advantage. What if I don’t renew it at the end of the contract…everything go up in smoke?

I know this has probably been discussed on this forum before but I couldn’t find anything that matched my criteria. But if you want to point me to it I don’t need an original answer. Thanks, all.

You can use SketchUp Pro without an internet connection. You’ll need to connect once every 28 days to ping the license server but in between it doesn’t need the internet except for access to things like the Warehouses and Geo-location service.

Typically the desktop client version will save more quickly than the web versions because the saving is done to your internal drive instead of out to the cloud.

With SketchUp Pro you also get LayOut, SketchUp Go (the online version), and a bunch of other stuff. Those things are all advantages if you need them.

As far as the subscription goes, it’s like any other subscription. If you stop paying for your electricity they turn it off.

How are you using SketchUp? What are you modeling? Since you’ve been using SketchUp 2017 Make I’m presuming you are using it as a hobbyist.

I’m for sure a hobbyist. But I’ve done pretty good with 2017 and have used it on and off for a couple of years. I’m 77 so I get some intellectual stimulation by playing it as a ‘game’ with real results. I’ve come to the woodworking party late have have added a few features to our 110 year old Craftsman home.

Thanks for the tips and will save my nickles and dimes and see if I can swing the $299 version.

3 Likes

You will surely get extra adrenaline for free when you cannot run SketchUp because there is a problem with logging into the license servers.

As for the question of OP. I believe that for you as a hobbyist the Make version is sufficient, especially that now subscribers often have problems launching the program. Layout is also not free from disadvantages, e.g. it is not possible to dimension arcs and circles. You also don’t need SketchUp Go as a hobbyist, and if you ever need to show your design to someone else in a different state, you can use SketchUp Free. Anyway, the Make version has been advertised for years as the best and cheapest solution for non-commercial use.

Add multiple images

I’m coming to that conclusion. $50 is way out of my budget. $119 a year I maybe could manage but to what advantage. Thanks for your insight on this. I guess I’ll just put up with 2017.

Can you elaborate on this please?

Misinformation.

1 Like

This forum is like any other part of the internet, people have their own opinions and agendas. You need to filter out some of the comments and learn to be selective in what you believe. Nobody is always right all the time, but some can be regularly negative.
Keep in mind that famous Abe Lincoln quote chiselled in stone on his memorial, not everything you read on the internet is correct.

3 Likes

A picture is worth a thousand words

Can you elaborate on this please?

Nobody is always right all the time, but some can be regularly positive.

This is a linear dimension and its “creative” use, because need click two times. R and Ø dimension need always only one click on element - as in SU workspace. Dimension the arc by placing the dimension line outside. Dimension the arc or circle from SU CORRECTLY as your method “a little” is failing.

Why the same circle dimensioned by your method shows two different values of “radius” and “diameter” Because it is a linear dimension and it does not read these values from the model and replacing arcs with segments by SU causes such errors! Where are the symbols R and Ø? Of course, you can write that you need to be more precise, but in the case of large drawings with multi-segment arcs it is tedious and does not guarantee that the dimension is correct.
Unfortunately, exaggerated positivism :wink:

P.S.
And while in your case, the lack of knowledge about technical drawing can be regarded as a symptom of technical dilettance, which you admit in your profile, I am surprised by Anssi, from whose posts it can be concluded that he is an architect and used many CAD systems but believes that the statement " LayOut does not dimension arcs and circles" is “missinformation”

Ok, let me ask you simply: does LauOut have dimensioning of arcs and circles?

Try to use your method to dimension an arc whose center is far beyond the drawing area!

I know, add dimension “by hand” as Label.
Yes,it is a another dilettante method which may cause documentation errors.

As far as dimensioning circles is concerned, selecting the intersection point between 2 facets (rather than any point along a facet) and the opposite intersection point will give you the exact diameter. The same applies for dimensioning a radius.

I have never had to dimension an arc.