When Will Twilight Render Be Properly Signed and Support High DPI Screens?

Ive recently purchased the HP Spectre X360 with 15" touch Screen and upgraded to Sketchup Pro 2017
which has been frustrating as I was under the impression that Sketchup Pro 2017 had added a lot more support for plugins and extensions on machines with High DPI screens like the one used by the Spectre X360.
My bugbear is all the extension and tool windows other than those included in the program by default show up really tiny and unusable. I wouldnt be so miffed if this was free but when one is paying hundreds of pounds for both Sketchup 2017 and extensions like Twilight Render V2 you want them to work and you want them to be supported otherwise its just a complete waste of my time energy and money. I am using Sketchup for my business and yes although I am self taught and learning while I work this is exactly why I need the software to work??? otherwise Sketchup should include its own inbuilt renderer free of charge that works properly and has a full sized viewing window within the workspace,especially when some users such as myself are poor sighted anyway,its even harder to see the tools now than ever before. will there be an update or is this another classic case of we wipe our hands clean because we are not the developers of 3rd party plugins and extensions.Just doesnt make any sense why the devs dont include their own render as part of the software when its not exactly cheap!!! very disappointed :frowning: I will probably uninstall and try and get a refund and then moveover to some other software that includes its own renderer as this sketchup is just becoming too convoluted with too many devs on board! a case of too many cooks spoil the broth! Id expect this sort of thing to happen with opensource not commercial software!!! google seems to be going the way of microsoft and releasing versions of their software that in truth arent actually ready for the public yet they still put them to market and sell them as stable and supported? why would they do this?? just pisses off their customers who cant use the software to its full potential. I dont know maybe I am talking out of turn here? just extremely upset at the minute as my expectations were very high for the new version of Sketchup and it has been the biggest let down yet this year! May even give software the boot altogether and go back to hand drawing! while it may only be 2D at least I know that my hand can do it and I’m not going to get some spasm in my wrist telling me I cant do it that way because bla bla bla. very very disappointed …

You should contact the author of Twilight Render. They should be able to help you.

Thanks DaveR I hope you are right I really do? thanks for super quick response anyway ;_)

Well, it’s unlikely anyone else can answer your question unless they are involved in the Twilight Render project.

basically i just want a renderer for exactly the same reason most users
want a renderer.
make presentations look thousands of times better for the client viewing.
so which one is best for landscape design? happen to know or anyone that
does? would appreciate a nudge in the right direction as the forum is vast
and not always easy to navigate for a noob.I am disappointed with twilight
as it works wonderfully on my old machine!

FYI,… First of all, the first post. It near to impossible to follow this post as it’s a huge run on paragraph. (People will keep losing their place whilst trying to read it. In the future please separate the thoughts and points into their own paragraphs. It also makes it easier for people to respond.)

Then the second post,… it is not easy to read text without the sentences being capitalized.

I think most of what was said in the opening post was mostly a frustration rant, so I’ll only speak to a few points.

[quote=“michaellowe, post:1, topic:41319”]
Google seems to be going the way of microsoft and releasing versions of their software that in truth arent actually ready for the public yet they still put them to market and sell them as stable and supported? why would they do this?? just pisses off their customers who cant use the software to its full potential. I dont know maybe I am talking out of turn here?[/quote]

Google has nothing to do with SketchUp anymore. Google sold SketchUp and it’s family of products and services, to Trimble Navigation, Ltd., in 2012.

Of course it is. Trimble cannot legally force another company to support all particular or any specific SketchUp versions, nor particular hardware products or configurations. (Everyone is responsible for their own “stuff.”)

Most here will advise you to try before you buy. I think most renderers will have a trial edition, that you can take for a spin and see how it works and feels.

This has been said many times, and refuted many times over. There are other threads were this can be re-argued if you like,… but that debate belongs in the Feature Requests category.

You should most definately read the discussion thread started by Tommy from the SketchUp team, with regard to the company philosophy around what SketchUp is and what features it will have:

[quote=“michaellowe, post:5, topic:41319”]
i just want a renderer … so which one is best for landscape design?
happen to know or anyone that does?[/quote]

This has been asked too many times (in this forum) for me to remember. There are many threads on this, and all answers are subjective, but still many experienced opinions are helpful to new renderers.

At the top right, on the forum header bar, are 3 icons.

Magnifying Glass = Quick Search
Hamburger = Forum Jump menu

Use the search by clicking :mag: and type “best renderer”.

If that is not enough, try other combinations of keywords or use the advanced search page by clicking the “options” link at the top right of the quick search menu. (It will bring forward any search terms currently inside the search box.)

To keep your search terms, right-click a result “hit” and choose “open in new tab.”

Thanks Dan

Once again my apologies for the rant. Yes I have only myself to blame in
the end as it is me who has poor time management, hence the frustration and
at the point of tearing my hair out with the lack of support for this
particular dilemma. thank you for your patience and i will do my utmost not
to rant again. I’m just far too impatient for results. and a little
confession i didnt actually purchase twilight (not that naive) i was
actually taking the hobbyist version for a spin. Anyway if its any
consolation I seem to have struck it lucky with the 3rd render ive tried
and guess what its completely free! it is much slower than twilight but
heck if its free and seems so far to do the job I aint complaining. I
discovered ironically “opensource” KirkyThea standalone and its not bad. A
little more complex to use but I am sure there will be a thread/s on it
somewhere in Sketchucation or indeed they have a great user guide in pdf to
get started,so no more rants …for now. only kidding. Thank you for your
kind words sir,much appreciated.

Ps when I say lack of support i was not referring to you and the guys in
the forum. i just meant the actual render software or indeed HP and
Microsoft or even all three not pulling their fingers out on this one. lets
hope they start working together more cohesively and iron out the kinks in
this DPI malarchy soon?!!! Not very professional selling high end laptops
that are not configured properly, it would be like me presenting an
incomplete render or design proposal to my clients, which is not the way i
do business!

Thanks again for all your help,

Best Wishes

I can only support: This type of issue needs to be forwarded to the Twilight developers.

The thing is: HiDPI issues can not be solved through configuration by HP. It is something that the full stack and software ecosystem has not been taking seriously as long as there existed only one display resolution. If you want something with the full stack and single GUI toolkit from one hand, buy Apple. Otherwise you have to trade in upsides and downsides…

Every legacy application that uses an old GUI toolkit version or something homegrown needs to be updated, and not all applications are developed actively. When you buy such a device, you need to be aware and trade in the benefits against the amount of legacy applications that you use.

Twilight does not solely use GUI provided by SketchUp (toolbars, Webdialogs), so it did not benefit by improvements from Trimble SketchUp.

@Aerilius Thanks for the reply. Yes that is pretty much the very very hard decision I had to make because I have varied interests both professionally and personally. For myself I wanted something that was both portable for professional reasons so as to use for presentations to prospective clients and that had a generous sized digitized touchscreen. The Pro surface and surface books just too small for my meaty sausage fingers and as far as I was concerned very highly overpriced and then you still have to buy the keyboard cover if you go for the surface pro as not included in the price!
Of course Ive always absolutely loved the idea of owning an apple product but again the price and lacking in touchscreen unless you get the huge Ipad 12 Pro. I tried it out and didnt like the drag on the screen. Guess they were trying to emulate that Wacom textured resistance? So yes a very very hard decision and of all the multitude of choices it took me all of 3 months and borrowing a friend’s which account ID to narrow down the sheer volume of choice out there but of course nothing is mentioned in the reviews and not even in the tech spec about DPI I was clueless about it until I bought the machine, sods law! well you truelly cannot have your cake and eat it!
I managed to actually use Twilight today despite the difficulties in resizing the tool windows being albeit hugely annoying! I also found another renderer which seems to be on the right track in terms of supporting DPI I think? well at any great length all the icons and tools are the normal sort of size one would expect and not teeny tiny like the Twilight plugin in Sketchup.
Its a Render Program called KirkyThea which you are probably already aware of. So I am going to see about going down this route and see how KirkyThea performs? would you happen to know of any good threads here on Sketchup forum? I have already very briefly started to look at KT’s own starter guide but its a pdf and probably fairly limited in the amount of information it provides and we all know information is key to success when it comes to anything software or IT based. So I’d like to get my grubby paws on as much information as I can to help me not be too bothersome to the mods and other members. thanks again for quick response much appreciated.

At the top right, on the forum header bar, are 3 icons.

Magnifying Glass = Quick Search
Hamburger = Forum Jump menu

Use the search by clicking :mag: and type “KerkyThea”.

If that is not enough, try other combinations of keywords or use the advanced search page by clicking the “options” link at the top right of the quick search menu. (It will bring forward any search terms currently inside the search box.)

To keep your search terms, right-click a result “hit” and choose “open in new tab.”

It is not “quite polite” to ask others to do your forum searches for you.

BTW, KerkyThea (not KirkyThea) has it’s own website and forum there:

Thanks Dan, as always extremely helpful if not poignant.
your comments have been noted and I will try not to step out of line.
happy sketching :grinning:

Hello

I have SketchUP 2017 Pro and Twilight Render Pro V2 which work quite fine together and IMHO Twilight Render is quite a very good rendering plugin to SketchUP for “Architects in a hurry” - but that does not mean it is only a preliminary draft renderer. It is a full fledged program which is quite deep - if you watched all the video tutorials and also read all the pdf tutorials in their web site. Look at the gallery section of their forum.

You say it is not “signed”. Well, it is certainly signed in my case. Why don’t you post this query in Twilight Render forum ?

And let me say that I do not have a 4 K monitor. It is only a 23 inch Full HD display. But that has nothing to do with Twilight Render “signing”. And let me reassure you that Twilight Render is a professional grade render - again IMHO.

Hope my 2 cents of info helps !

Best regards
PRSS

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.