When to draw foil or water/damp resistant pvc - in SU or LO

Hi, what are the pro architects doing when they have to draw a foil for inside a building, f.e. between OSB and Dry-board or Foil between Concrete and Isolation, e.t.c.? To draw a foil in SU with a thickness of 0,2 mm is a little cumbersome.
For now I do it in LO, but some times when I have to move things around, then it kicks in the butt.

Any suggestion and steps to look at or to avoid?

You should get Nick Sonder’s book.

He’d create a separate detail model showing the construction of the wall including the foil and other parts. That would save having to show it in the larger model. That detail would likely be the same or very similar for more than one building but the same detail model could be used repeatedly in different LO files.

In short, nothing. Thin membranes inside structures are usually not modelled. DaveR has it right: a membrane is shown in detail drawings and wall type legends.
It is the same in other applications, too. In Revit, for instance, it is not possible to model layers thinner than about 2 mm so membrane layers get the thickness 0.

Thank you. I understand, Just draw a separated detail in a different skp file and Import that in LO.
I did do this in a few drawings, and has for now 40+ detail drawings ( some as a collection of scene’s with different layers on or off ), but none really reusable, so I thought there could me a more ‘better’ way. Then I did try it directly in LO over the SU model. Way to much work. So hence my question. I will look at his youtube videos and search for the book. And go back to the method you describe.

Any other tips?

Thank you.

You too Annssi thank you

Well…i think the others have covered how it is typically handled.

On a recent project of mine the client wanted to show the order of construction steps as they occur via scenes in SU.
IE:
Footing…8” CMU w/Bond beams…spray on vapor barrier…rigid insulation…4” CMU veneer…etc. & so on.

It was a fairly large but rectangular building…and I simply offset the faces of the 8” CMU .0625” & copied them to their own group to represent the exterior spray on vapor barrier.

This worked in my case (no Z fighting) due to static camera position for the sequence of scenes to show the assembly process.

Anyhow…hope that is easily understood and it helps some.

Charlie

Great tip. creating a kind of exploded view. Isn’t there a plugin for this?

In my case it was more of a slideshow…simply turning “on” layers with each scene in succession. (Ea. Scene was named similarly to the layer it revealed)
Re: “Exploded view” Plug in
Not sure about that…there may be one for just exploded view…I think Animator beta has some functionality in that regard.

Charlie

I agree with @DaveR on this too. I would tend to show this on a detail which I can then reference in Layout.

On the rare occasion when I choose to show something like a building wrap, I might divide the face and apply a different texture, as shown in the attached example.

Mike

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.