When I insert the 3D model into the project, it slows down the project a lot

I have a problem navigating through the Sketch Up project when I upload a 3Dmodel from 3D Warehouse model, it slows down the project a lot.
I have a computer with:

• AMD FX ™ - 8300 Eight Core Processor 3.30GHz
  • 12GB RAM memory
  • Graphic Card AMD Radeon 7700

I need an advice on what to do?

Download that 3Dwarehouse model to an empty file and look at model info statistics. It is likely that the model contains an excessive number of edges and faces or very large textures that are overwhelming your computer. There are, unfortunately, a lot of models in the 3Dwarehouse that are over detailed for general use.

1 Like

You can also see some model statistics directly in 3D Warehouse. I avoid using any component larger than 1MB, or with more than a thousand faces or so.

1 Like

Like @slbaumgartner says, open the problem model as its own file and purge, cleanup, and or re-build it as necessary to get it down in size. Look for vegetation in particular that can be crippling for most SU users. Also check for hidden geometry. My recommendation is to use Thom Thom’s CleanUp extension: Extension | SketchUp Extension Warehouse - Be sure to install the support library extension needed for his scripts.

In addition, the new Material Resizer extension will take care of overly detailed textures:

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/material-resizer

2 Likes

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.