What's the material

I have a shelf that looks like it’s plywood put Entity Info shows it as the default material, this is the shelf,
shelf.skp (62.7 KB)

Since you applied the material to the faces in the model (and both front and back) you need to select at least one face in the Component for Entity Info. The component itself only has the default material applied to it as it should have so when you have the component selected, it should show you that the default material is applied to it.

Screenshot - 10_10_2020 , 3_50_49 PM

That happens because I appled the material before I made it a component?

Yes. It would happen if you applied the material to the face after creating the component. The material should be applied to the faces, not the component, anyway.

The reason this has come up is I’m trying to produce a cut list, it appears that if the components don’t have a material assigned CutList 4 doesn’t know what it is, I have a project with about 30 different components, some of them being sheet goods some lumber, if the component isn’t assigned ‘plywood’ it ends up in the lumber section.

The component you uploaded shows in the Sheet Materials section just fine. There must be something else wrong with the way you are handling it.

It doesn’t actually have to have a material applied to it at all if you use a word in the component definition that you’ve included in the Sheet Materials section.

Here I made a copy of your component, made it unique and applied the default material to it. I added the word 'ply" to the component definition which is also included in my Sheet Materials list for the extension and you can see that component also appears in the Sheet Good section.

This is the cut list where that component is used.
cut list.pdf (195.0 KB)

That says there’s no material assigned to the bottom so of course it’ll show in the lumber section. Upload the skp file so we can see what you’ve got there.

Here it is
4 foot section.skp (176.4 KB)

You applied that plywood material to the 4’ section component not to the shelf component or the faces inside it so it’s no surprise that the bottom component ends up in the lumber section.

As I’ve already written several times, you should be applying the materials to the faces inside the components, not to the components and certainly not to parent components when you have nesting.

Here I’ve repaired your model so the Plywood material is applied to the faces inside the component not to the parent component…

And when Cutlist is run, the components show up in the Sheet Good section as desired.

1 Like

WOW! I know ‘Material’ is one of my weakest skills. How do I fix it?

Got it, easy-peasy once you do the right thing - thanks for your help.

Good enough.

You should work on materials and being consistent in the way you apply them. Here’s an example. You’ve applied the pine material to the selected component here:

But you applied the material to the faces in the component at the back. Notice the default material is applied to the component.

And because the texture is applied to the faces in that component, you can correct the grain direction so it reflects the way the piece would really be made.

You might want to work at higher precision when you are modeling too so that you can catch issues like this one that shows up in the cutlist with ‘face frame rail#3’. That approximate 1/64 in. might not be a problem in your model but then again, that sort of thing could create problems for you down the road. If you leave Precision to 1/16 in. you can miss those sorts of errors.

Thanks Dave, I’ll look at this in the morning.