What will I gain by upgrading to the latest version (standalone)

I’m currently using the standalone version 15.3.331. It does what I need, but there are a lot of things that I’d like to see improved, and for all I know, they have been. I don’t use it enough to justify paying for the pro version, and I absolutely do NOT want to use the browser version. Too many browser based apps I’ve used have stopped working after a browser upgrade. So I’m only interested in the standalone version.

I’m having trouble finding anything along the lines of release notes. Do they exist anywhere? Maybe I should just stay with what I’ve got, but I’d love to know what’s changed.

Whether you need to pay for Pro is not about how much you use SketchUp but what you use it for. If it is for work, you must pay.

The latest free desktop version is version 2017 Make. It can be downloaded from the SketchUp website. Note that if your Windows 7 system is 32-bit it won’t run on it as it requires a 64-bit operatig system. Versions 2015 and 2016 had separate installers for 32-bit systems.

I use it a couple times a year to design furniture for my own house.

Those things you mentioned would gain me nothing.

Some things that I’d love to see is an easy way to get dimensions from a simple object (H/W/L). I also use the Cut List addon which is a little temperamental and I wouldn’t mind something like that being more robust.

1 Like

That was intentional. My question wasn’t to ask about specific features. I wanted a pointer to the release notes so I could do the research myself. And thank you for the pointer to that.

Yeah, I’m familiar with that and use it from time to time, but it’s not really what I’m looking for.

Let’s say, for example, that I’ve generated a cut list from a project I’m building. One of the pieces is a 3/4" board measuring 8-3/8" x 23-1/2". I’m wondering where that piece goes, because I don’t recognize it. I’d like to quickly go through the pieces in my project and get quick dimensions to see where it is. Using the dimension tool (unless it’s been upgraded radically since my version), I have to click on one point, click on another point and drag. Then do the same thing for the other dimension. Then I’ve got to undo what I’ve put there. It’s a lot of clicks. In my perfect world, this information would exist in the Entity info.

Opencutlist can do that, I believe:

Thanks, Mike. I’ll take a look at that.

Try using the Tape Measure tool instead of the Dimension tool. With Tape Measure active (press T in the default key bindings), you can click/release on a point of interest, move to another point of interest, and read the distance from the VCB (little box usually in the lower-right corner) in the user interface. Then I would press ESCape to halt the active measurement operation (leaving the Tape Measure tool active to take another measurement), or press Space (default key bindings) to halt the active measurement operation and activate the Select tool (which I usually leave as my “default mode” while modeling).

If the first click with the Tape Measure tool is at a common corner between two edges, then you can quickly determine the dimensions of the two adjacent edges by moving the pointer to the far end of one edge, read the distance from the VCB, then move the pointer to the far end of the other edge and read that distance from the VCB.

There are a lot of Ruby API changes. Most extensions developed today don’t seem to support SU2015. Personally I never support anything before 2017 on purpose, as 2017 changed how dialogs worked.