What’s up with SketchUp Make?

It’s an interesting idea but i doubt very many people would donate. Except for open source non-profit projects I would probably myself think of this is spammy and annoying, especially if it automatically showed up and tried to guilt trip you.

5 Likes

Wow very catty !

Don’t blame the tools!

It’s not a ‘guilt trip’. Once a month you’re get a reminder that you’re part of something larger. You either donate or you don’t donate. There’s nothing “spammy” about it.

Haha! Yeah I should have said “Who know how long they will keep offering a non-expiring license?” …

I too spent about three hours playing with it and looking at what it would take to create a furniture model. Right off the bat, I couldn’t find a way to edit and save a style or create and save a template (though you can save a blank .skp file that you can open each time).I too loaded a fairly complex model and SketchUp Free worked well as a viewer.

Were there were performance problems, and I don’t think SketchUp will ever be able to overcome them, is when you needed some dialog boxes to change or view things. For example, when I wanted to look at the materials available it took a full minute (no exaggeration) for the dialog box to appear and populate. Granted, I have DSL, but a large population of the country does too. That was true of any of the dialog boxes when opened the first time. I will never work in an environment this slow.

The whole menu and toolbar interface is compact - but too compact. If you are not a keyboard user it takes much too much time to get to the tools.

I couldn’t find a Bezier curve tool. I know that is an extension. But it was written by the SketchUp team. Why didn’t they include it in the core code? 3D printing, which they did provide for, is useless if you can’t create a useful model, and without some Bezier capability, you can’t do that. Same is true without a basic Intersect Faces tool.

After three hours I gave up and decided SketchUp Free is not a useable 3D model creation tool. It is a good viewer and some people may find that to be enough.

There is a long list of problems in SketchUp Pro that has never been addressed by Trimble. Problems that will limit the number of professionals who take SketchUp seriously. It would be nice to see them fix those problems before setting off to create a whole new tool.

Here is an example. The pictures (models) below were created with exactly the same code with one exception. In the first image, the Pro Intersect tool was used in Ruby code to create the stiles, rails, and panels without scaling the individual components up before using the Intersect method. In the second image, the component to be intersected were scaled up a factor of 10. In the first image faces are missing (the dark areas) and the intersect was incomplete in some cases. This is an age-old problem with SketchUp, but in the age of 64-bit processors should never be an issue.

If only we could get some attention on problems like this SketchUp would be a world class tool.

Joe…

7 Likes

Dave, could you point us to these surveys? If you are correct I suspect the survey was poorly done. I believe all Make users have realized for some time that one day they would have to pay for the product. No company continues to make money giving away its product. Just like one day, SketchUp Free will be SketchUp Pay.

Being a Pro user this is not my problem for some time. But I would gladly pay as high as $250 for Make if it’s a desktop product.

Joe…

I think there is plenty of feedback in this thread. There seems to be a lack of listening by both the SketchUp evangelists and SketchUp team. Who in this thread is on the SketchUp team and is charged with compiling this feedback and communicating it to the SketchUp team? People are angry because Trimble doesn’t listen to its user base in these forums. That is what I see.

Joe…

1 Like

Actually, Wikipedia is a very good example. It doesn’t beg on a per use basis, which would be annoying, but rather on an annual basis. I donate a few hundred every year.

I can see users donating annually, especially if you kept an annual log of their use.

I also like medeek’s proposal, though I doubt this is the right forum to incubate it. A serious proposal might better be developed by a team outside of the Trimble forums with people dedicated to reaching a large portion of the SketchUp users. With enough users signed up, we might be able to get Trimble’s attention.

Joe…

2 Likes

Yes. A very good example of an open non-profit project. I think people would view it differently if a business was begging for donations.

2 Likes

That’s a fair point but I think the ‘pay-what-you-can’ model is starting to catch on more and more places and isn’t restricted to only non-profits

1 Like

Begging your pardon:
Donation and PWYC are a completely legitimate models for financing an operation and generating revenue. This will all give way to micro-payments/smart contracts, which are even better, and will be here before you know it.

3 Likes

Annual goal basis is also a really good idea.
The splash screen could show a donate-o-meter and a Donate button.
Wow, maybe we should be working for Trimble.

1 Like

So, I went online with the intent to spend another few hours with SketchUp Free (I spent about three hours yesterday). After three minutes I gave up. Here’s why.

This is the kind of thing that can happen with cloud-based applications, and much of it is out of the control of Trimble. But none-the-less it reflects on SketchUp because the user doesn’t care who’s at fault. They just don’t want their time wasted.

I opened SketchUp Free again about 10 minutes later and all was resolved. I haven’t decided if I want to waste any more time, but I probably will. I want to see if there is a serious use of this tool other than grade school education. So I’ll probably plug away.

Joe…

5 Likes

I think its a mistake to assume all your users will have fast or reliable or continuous internet access. I often use sketchup in remote locations to quickly solve geometry calculations in construction. This is just one example of how users would be inconvenienced by this development path and will probably seek a competitors product.

3 Likes

Fair enough. But SU is something that I use intermittently, once every few months and then fairly intensively for a week or two to explore options on some piece of wood work I am designing, or for extending the models of my house and buildings. The desktop version at about 2012 or earlier was adequate for my needs but I have upgraded as far as 2016 - but then stopped because of Open GL issues with 2017.

The web version looks promising, but for the present I won’t be using it. A fair bit to do with internet connection speed and reliability, but much to do with the short-comings of the Beta version compared to the desktop version. Seem to have lost: the text tool; the ability to hide the rest of the model when editting; control over face and edge views; and simple add-ons like bezier tools - ie many things which I use.

But hopefully the web version will improve by getting all the facility of the desktop version, and my internet connection will also improve. That would be great as the web version does work on Linux, something which has been a major hole in SU’s armory for many years.

1 Like

Why Trimble cannot come up with a moderately priced desktop version is beyond me. I could see paying a couple of hundred bucks for an updated Sketchup Make which I use primarily for designing built in cabinetry for our home. But $695? Ludicrous. Trimble needs a new VP of Marketing.

2 Likes

To chime in on the discussion about a web-based-pro version several post above - I personally wouldn’t be happy if the PRO version went web-based as well. Why?

• I don’t like the idea of opening/editing/saving a 50Mb model online. Compared to the PCIe ssd’s I use for storage - performance will always be worse I imagine.
  • Quite some time I’m on a wireless connection or over at clients. Having to ask them their security settings for their internet connection just to be able to show them a design in SketchUp would be terrible.
  • The same even more when meeting new clients.
  • What if there’s no wifi available? Use tethering? In more remote parts of the country that connection is already bad for viewing websites.
  • Some clients wont like the idea their design / information is in the cloud (on the hard disk of firm X).
  • I use many plugins - quite a few with (crappy) code of my own. Would a web based version allow that?
  • just like many others, I want to decide what version / update I’m using. Would be a nightmare if an update to a web based version would brake something just before a deadline/presentation.

I’m curious what benefits it would have for the users if Pro went web-based.

4 Likes

Nothing has been said by anyone from Trimble about a web-based pro version.

True, no official word. But several people have speculated here about this possible future based on the amount of effort Trimble has invested in a product with no explicit revenue stream (SketchUp Free).

3 Likes

Well, Jbacus seems to suggest they are open to it. In post 28, he states ‘3d cad systems … will likely be the last class of tools to completely convert to the web… But tools like OnShape provide a pretty compelling argument that attitudes are changing. The balance is tipping toward the web’

It was this remark that triggered my concerns.

2 Likes