What’s up with SketchUp Make?

sketchupmake

This appears to be a bug. The context menu entry exists, but does nothing.

Also the sliders are wrongly placed in the UI. They are located in Display, which otherwise is for model wide display settings, while this is a property of the selected entities. If it’s not a separate panel it should be in Entity Info.

Applause! I’ve been dabbling with a small cottage model myself for a couple of days. It’s very instructive (and humbling!) to see how a professional woodworker structures en entire model for a contemporary house like this!

I’ve purchased Shop but at the moment, no idea what that really gets me over Free. I thought it might be more inline with Make, but it appears it’s exception ally cut down from make and doesn’t share many of the same controls. So any tutorials I find typically use Make, and are pretty much useless for Shop.

Particularly annoyed at how the mouse / touchpad functions in Shop compared to Make.

I answered your other post, and included this link:

https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup-web/whats-included-sketchup-shop

I would think it fairly certain you would see some sort of Plugin Option before the depreciation of Make

Make has already been deprecated. SU says they have no plans on any further updates. When it quits working, for whatever reason, it will not be updated. So, if Windows or Mac creates an update to their OS which ‘breaks’ Make, then you’re out of luck with zero fallback. Kinda like a high wire act with no net. If you’re not comfortable continuing to spend your valuable time learning and working with a product (Make) that could literally disappear tomorrow, then check out Blender. It’s free and Open Source and will always be so. They have the largest user group of any 3D program and tons of online support. Just google SketchUp to Blender.

Yes I use Blender a lot already, your videos are great I have sent them to a few colleagues who want to get into Poly modeling.

But my point was that you can still use it, even with an OS update you could run it back in a virtual machine or on another partition.

Thanks for the kind words.

Your point is valid. One could create a virtual machine, with an old copy of Windows, and run Make from now until whenever.

I am told the same can be done with a TRS-80 emulator and VisiCalc. Nobody gets left behind. :slight_smile:

I installed SketchUp 7 two weeks ago on my windows machine, just for fun, and was able to work with…
No net needed…
I’ll bet Make 2017 will still be around in 9 or 10 more years, which gives me plenty of time to ‘invest’ in other software😃

Yeah, open source can be abandoned, to…

?

Hi Mike, I suspect if you’re on Windows, you’re pretty safe. There are strong rumors from Bloomberg and others Apple is looking to once again change processors for the Mac (https://www.macworld.com/article/3267989/macs/apple-custom-chip-macs.html) and if they do, all software will probably have to be recompiled (just like when they did the PowerPC jump and then later the Intel one). I heard a rumor of 2020, but who really knows.

I remember the turmoil of both those transitions.

You can run old OS/applications on old hardware as long as the hardware doesn’t die on you. So far, my Prismo, '06 Aluminum PowerBook (last, best machine to run MacOS9), and even Late’08 MacBook Pro have all died of power controller problems. My Titanium PowerBook still works (knocking on wood), but who knows.

Emulation/virtualization would be helpful, but that’s much more limited for MacOS. I’ve only researched a little.

Yup…I have an old Powerbook 170 which I successfully powered up over a year ago, then put it back in it’s case. I used to love Apple, then Steve left.

I think it’s awesome that everyone is switching to a web based app. But there are issues with it, of which I’m sure you’re aware of. I enjoy using SketchUp for fun, sometimes at work for ideas, sometimes when I’m out enjoying the day, and most times in an area where the internet connectivity is terrible. I appreciated the downloadable version best, and without the refresh issues web based apps bring.

On another note, any way that SketchUp could go to a subscription based plan as well? Handing over $600 in one shot can often be difficult for people like me, but making the subscription equal to a one year purchase at $50 a month is more reasonable, or offering a discount for full commitment to one year and a higher month to month discount. You’re time and consideration is appreciated.

Even though you can’t pay by instalments direct from the SketchUp website, you could check whether your local official SketchUp reseller does offer payment plans. The one I use in the UK does offer instalment plans.
https://www.sketchup.com/buy/resellers-commercial

You’ll presumably be using your credit card when purchasing online, then rather pay the funds back into your credit card in installments. $695 isn’t nothing but it isn’t prohibitively expensive either.

Not necessarily, Credit Cards are not as common in the UK as they are elsewhere in the world such as the US.

I barely knew anybody who had one (in my generation) in the UK, now that I am in Sweden, I don’t know of anybody really. My bank did not even advertise one.

Most retailers (in the UK) offer payment plans via the store, I have used a few in the past for expensive items (PC, TV etc) but just with my normal debit card/current account. They will usually do a quick credit check then you are good to go.

Just going to say that “going to web” == “death to software” - there are enough samples out there…

Mmm, I find the release notes of the web based version more ‘vividly and lively’ updated then the Pro version, so ‘going to the web==goodby desktop software’ ?

I have been using SketchUp a few times per year, for many years. Today, when I went online and tried to download the most recent SketchUp Make so that I could try to experiment with the MSPhysics Sketchup extension (so that I could try to physically model the wirework in an animated “puppet hand” model for an elaborate Halloween costume) I discovered that the SketchUp Make product had been retired and that SketchUp Free, which does not support Ruby scripting, now the only version available to me other than the Pro version.

I am not happy. I understand that Trimble wants (needs) to make money, but I really feel that they are hurting both themselves and their customer community with this marketing approach.

There are some users whose needs are simple enough that they could get by with the limited feature set of the SketchUp Free web-based product. Some other users use SketchUp heavily or professionally, and can therefore justify its very high cost. However, there are also a large(!) body of hobbyists and occasional users in the “middle ground” between these two groups. These “middle ground” people were in many ways the people whose goodwill, evangelism, and considerable efforts (e.g. extension writing and sharing, model development and sharing) on behalf of the product caused SketchUp to become popular in the first place.

Trimble has now left many of these people without any option to use the software. (SketchUp Make 2017 is a delaying action, not a path forward.)

As an occasional user of SketchUp, it had value to me. Not as much value as it might have had to a professional user, but value nonetheless. And I would have been willing to pay Trimble some money to keep access to Sketchup and the tools that I used. It was great that Sketchup Make was free, but I would have used it even if it weren’t… as long as the price was somewhat comparable to the amount of value I was getting from it.

SketchUp was certainly worth $100 to me every year or so. I pay prices like that for, for instance, the software that I use to design printed circuit boards, or for a new copy of Photoshop Elements every couple of years, or for the software I use to create HDR images or panoramas. Lots of consumer software has prices in that range.

However, $700 is just absolutely out of the question. That’s my ENTIRE discretionary software budget for multiple years. For one product that I won’t use all that often and for which I will never use the majority of advanced features that I would be paying for. That’s a LOT of money for a hobby project, even for one that might someday become a moneymaking proposition.

Trimble may think that if it removes access to the Make version that I will be forced to upgrade to Pro, but the reality is that I simply can’t do that. For that kind of money, I will be forced to look at other cheaper alternatives (or write my own program to do what I need). And Trimble loses out on the money I would have willingly spent.

The web-based “free” version simply won’t do what I need it to do. Being able to use Ruby scripting to perform exact automated layout or to manipulate models or do simple physics simulations (as I described above) is not a “nice to have” feature for me: it is essential. These scriptability features, and the ecosystem of users surrounding them, are why I chose this program to learn in the first place: Without them, I might as well use another product. (And if I do, I will certainly stop recommending SketchUp to others in the Maker community as I did in the past.)

What is missing from Trimble’s current plan is a way for me to actually pay a price for the software that is somewhat proportional to the amount of value I get from it. As the comments in this thread indicate, there are lots of people who would be willing to pay for software which is equivalent in features to the Make product, but for whom $700 is out of the question.

There are many way to do this:

• A lower-end product like SketchUp Make, but with a cost more in the range that a hobbyist or occasional user could afford.
  • A single “core” product with various add-on features or plugins which could be individually purchased if needed.
  • A product whose advanced features are only enabled during those months in which a monthly fee is paid.
  • Some combination of these.
  • etc.

What is certain at the moment is that Trimble is not getting any money from me, now or in the future, unless it provides me a way to pay a price for the software that at least somewhat corresponds to the value I get from it. That will not happen with the current product plan.

Please provide a lower (but not necessarily zero) cost version of Sketchup, which non-professionals can use, which still supports extensions and the SketchUp ecosystem.

SketchUp Make is still available for hobbyist use. Here.

You are driving a car that won’t be build in the future anymore. Are you stop driving it therefore? Maybe if you have to switch your car, there will be a better option at that time!?