What’s up with SketchUp Make?

sketchupmake

Again, …, SketchUp Free is not an entirely new app. It has the same core as the SketchUp desktop version. The little html GUI around is rather little effort in comparison of the work and technology that has been invested into the core for probably over 15 years.

You asked why does SketchUp do this? They did probably only not publish “SketchUp Free” to annoy you, but also because they had the technology already available (remember “my.sketchup”, then “SketchUp for Schools” on Chromebooks?) in order to stay relevant for young generations who grow up in a multi-platform world.

If you knew something about opensource and agile software development, you would have heard that there are ways to release products (fixed release or rolling release) and that they significantly impact success of projects, the speed of development and quality. Some of the world’s best software is developed as rolling release (with fixed long-term support releases, google it). Rolling releases are brought earlier to users and better tested. Fixed release schedules however are prone to delays and are tested only very late, which results in too long feedback cycles to the developers.

My speculation is that the SketchUp core is now developed completely independently from Pro features (likely separate teams), and continuously released in the browser for testing and tuning performance. Pro feature development can be more focused. The biggest benefit is for paying customers, even two-fold, a well-tested engine and finally more features that get ready before a yearly release.

Users who prefer the free version pay by opting to test-drive the core and new UI experiments (google A-B testing).

Staying relevant to youth seems like a pretty far fetched excuse for making a neutered buggy version of software that lives inside a web browser. In my youth I was playing around with a full fledged version of 3D Studio Max - no crippled software was required.

Oh Give it a rest.
All you’re here to do is complain.
All your posts are negative and add nothing to the forum.
Your list of feature requests simply show that you haven’t learnt how to use the software.
You obviously have some other preferred software, go back to it and stop blathering on.
Thankfully there is an Ignore option so I won’t be needing to see any more of your posts.

Depends on what you mean by it. Making something look and feel like a smartphone toy app is in my view not a good way to reach out to kids (in a way it’s almost condescending). Making it run on the machines that apparently are very common among schoolkids, that makes sense! If the poor kids don’t have access to proper computers, just web clients, I think it’s great to make SketchUp available to those too.

My feature requests were all pretty rational. And my posts aren’t ‘negative’ - they are meant to help direct software that my firm personally invests around 30k worth of licenses into.

Here’s my situation and why SketchUp Free won’t work for me. I work in the “big city” where I have access to internet. HOWEVER, I live in the beautiful country where internet is not accessible, therefore, I rely on SketchUp Make for my DIY type projects. So PLEASE continue to improve the Make version. Im sure there are many thousands like me who rely on the Make version.

That’s why it’s still available for the foreseeable future (make).

I have a machine still running 8 Pro, 17 should run fine for a while while they iron out free.

I must be missing something… It seems to me that one of the most factors here would be the ability to continue to work with my current designs (make in Make) in the current and supported version of SketchUp (Free). Can I do this?

Go figure, give’m a free lunch for a while, then listen to the grumbling when they are asked to pay the food bill.

Yes generally you can, unless your workflow includes the use of any SketchUp extensions/plugins. At this time SketchUp Free does not support any extensions. SketchUp Free also lacks a few intrinsic features of SketchUp Make (such as either text labels or dimensions - I cannot recall which is missing from Free and which is present).

• Download : SketchUp Make 2017 (still)

Yes, you can do this. Models saved from SketchUp Make (latest version) are transparently cross-compatible with models saved in SketchUp Free.

While SketchUp Free is based on the SketchUp 2018 codebase (meaning models are natively saved in 2018 format), choosing “Download” from the file menu will automatically generate a SketchUp 2017 that you can open without any fuss in the latest version of SketchUp Make.

If you are using an older version of SketchUp Make, you should consider updating to the latest version. If there is a technical issue that keeps you in an older version, you can use 3D Warehouse to save down to older versions of SketchUp Make.

My take on this is that Trimble might just be a little bit early to the game, when they’re taking a C++ based desktop application and webifying it through cross-compilation to JavaScript or WebAssembly (I assume that’s what they’re doing).

I’m actually quite impressed by how well it works.

But I’ve also noticed a couple of smaller “glitches” as I’ve been playing around with it. For instance, I’ve come across some random reloads while modelling. Nothing of the actual model was lost, but the GUI was reloaded, sort of, and I had to start the modelling operation over again. It happened several times in a row.

I’ve also seen some instances where the point selection mechanism does not work as precisely as it does in the desktop version. The desktop version I find 100% dependable, and I know exactly which point, intersection point, edge point or face point I’m going to get when I move my mouse pointer to a particular point on my screen. In the web version this is less dependable, it seems, especially when it comes to selection of intersection points.

For me, one of the main qualities of SketchUp has always been it’s level of exactness, precision and reliability.

It’s so much better to work with something that’s 100% precise each time, than with something that glitches 2 out of 100 times. I won’t say that it ruins the whole experience, but I’ll say that it’s much worse than the numbers themselves seem to indicate, from a usability perspective.

I like SketchUp Free, but I liked SketchUp Make better, for it’s glitch free and almost pixel perfect user experience.

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for giving SketchUp Free a try. We do share a common codebase between the two environments, which means that all core features are much more similar than they are different. There are some differences in the way mouse position is interpreted by the browser and passed through to that core code. Perhaps that accounts for the differences you’re seeing?

Regardless, you’re welcome to continue using the desktop Make client as long as you like. For our part, we’re making and launching improvements all the time- stay tuned for future developments that may change your mind.

Thanks for replying.

My point selection problem was from the scene in the above picture.

I start drawing a line from the top of the intersection line at the left hand side of the picture. I get a red cross-icon, correctly, to tell me that I’ve placed my line start at the intersection point between the two faces.

I then move downwards, towards the end of the same intersection line. I then get a round icon, and a tool tip saying “From Point” (even though it’s an endpoint). It might be that the point itself is correct in this case, I do not know. But I’d want the visual feedback to be correct too, understandably, so I can know that I’m placing my end point at the correct position, before I hit the left mouse button to fulfill the creation of the line.

I guess I should post this in some kind of “bug reporting” system, but I’ll write it here anyway, since I already brought it up.

I think the black symbol is an inference from a point not located at that point…probably the one located where the red x symbol is.

This image indicated the inference was of a point and it changes if I move the cursor slightly on the adjacent surfaces or edge.
Blues image doesn’t show enough of the image to see the inferred point.

I think this is a pretty good interpretation. These sorts of detailed inference interactions are so highly situational and context-dependent that it is really tough to know for sure if it is the platform (browser or desktop) that is causing the confusion.

Yes, you (both) are probably right.

However, I do think that there’s something not quite right in the way that the web version handles these things.

In the desktop version, it seems to give you the tooltip “Intersection” if you move in from the intersection side of the “snapped” corner point. And it gives you “On Edge” if you move in along the existing edge on the left hand side in my picture.

In the web version it will always give you “On Edge” (and occasionally “On Face”), but never “Intersection”.

These tiny cues are important when you’re modelling. You want to be sure that the point is exactly where you want it to be before you end the operation. I think it’s worth spending time getting these tiny things right, even if they seem small in and of themselves.

Edit: I tried recreating the situation from my first post too, but I could not do it, so I think mics_54’s interpreation was right. Probably the tooltip refered to another point, outside the view. Maybe it also was dependent upon the exact rotation of the scene while I was doing the operation.

the intersection “red x” is indicating a point you created with a line or guide on the edge. Had you not created that line or guide the red x would not be there rather there would be a symbol and notation of on edge just like the bottom one.
BTW this is a good study and serving to familiarize the symbols and inferences.

Well, maybe it does not show properly in the picture, but I’m creating the line as the picture is being taken. The point at the x symbol is the starting point of the line that I was in the process of drawing. There was no point or guide there before I started drawing the line.

It looked like this:

(I feel that I’m posting too many pictures here, of the same thing, but it helps to illustrate things.)