What’s up with SketchUp Make?

Ah yes thanks for reminding me. I forgot Google sold Sketchup a few years ago…but I think u still got the message despite picking on me instead of trying to be helpful…And yes, i love u too.

Sumsum is the same

The SpaceNavigator cannot be used with the web-software, but it can with the Pro or Make versions.

Funny thing is I tried to download Make yesterday from the website but they refer to the webversion instead.

They do not even mention you can still download the software via the web version…deeply hidden in the basement behind a door with the text “warning for tigers”

Anyway, as I now have the make installation case is closed for now.

1 Like

oddly enough…the link to to make version you desire is on the preferences tab in the free version you don’t want.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Sketchup (both free and pro, depending on work or home) for about 10 years. This change to just online is, in my opinion, a disaster. To save, I have to have an account. Something I avoid as often as possible. To work on anything, I need internet access. This means I can only use sketchup at home. All the work I do is on Sketchup’s servers. It’s not immediately clear who has access to this, what is secure, and what levels of privacy exist.

You’ve taken one of the best programs available and turned it into an opportunity to track and monitor my usage. Why not just let people decide which one they want to use?

5 Likes

So I started using the free web Sketchup. I like the idea of having a cloud home for my files. The problem I’m having is that it’s so slow it’s almost unusable. It takes so long for it to respond to even an Orbit move. I’m using a small model right now and it’s very frustrating. The desktop version is so much faster and more stable. Also, it’s pretty buggy and not ready to be a replacement for the desktop version. I’m a software developer so I know that bugs get worked out but right now, I feel like I no longer have tool I an use. I still have the desktop version on my desktop but I bought a tablet I can use for Sketchup in my shop. It’s just not working out. I also use sketchup on my laptop but I don’t always have internet access so a web based app is not right for me.

I use Sketchup for woodworking and 3D printing. I might have to look for another drawing tool. $700 is way out of my price range for a tool that I use for hobbies that don’t make me money.

3 Likes

SketchUp Free, once you’ve opened it in your browser uses your computer and your modeling is all done locally. If you are seeing any slowness in response, that’s not due to your internet connection or Trimble’s servers. Instead of OpenGL which Pro and Make use for rendering, it uses WebGL but again, that’s all done on your computer and it doesn’t rely on the web. Make sure your Internet browser is up to date and that it properly supports WebGL.

This was done entirely in Sketchup Free with no problems at all.

I didn’t experience any slowness or bugs while doing it.

Mine works fine even with crappy intel HD graphics, I use make but have started doing a few things on Free and I send both to my tablet at my shop. I also connect my zenpad to my phone hotspot and listen to my internet radio as well. I don’t do a lot of rendering but I do a little materials application. in a perfect world I could get Pro separately from Layout at maybe half price? Thinking out loud. I suppose if I got ambitious I could use layout and sell services or items on a web based business.

I think layout should actually be paired with the free version of the software. It seems perfect for wood-workers and smaller scale projects. Very few professionals would ever use it to produce a set of working drawings.

You’re very predictable. The pros on here that use it must be so embarrassed.

3 Likes

You seem to be such an expert on this topic. You should probably get in touch with professionals like Nick Sonder, Steve Oles, Dan Tyree, Peter Wells, and many others to let them know.

3 Likes

SketchUp is great for some uses, and really inefficient for others. If people are out there doing architectural construction sets in SketchUp - good for them. But there’s no need to pretend SketchUp is a perfect program.

I’m not pretending it is. No one is forcing you to use it. You’re such an expert I don’t know why you are bothering to hang around here. Maybe just as a troll.

2 Likes

I’m a professional giving my input that I think would genuinely make the program better. I signed up only because I was caught off guard by the release of SketchUp Free and genuinely concerned about the future of the program. I’m sorry if I’m not the standard SketchUp Evangelist.

2 Likes

The release of Sketchup Free is a detriment to the program which no professional would use anyway?

And of course SketchUp Free is not licensed for commercial use.

Why do you think SketchUp is spending time and resources on the Free version for the first time in history - just for fun?

1 Like

Why don’t you ask them. You’re on the Sketchup forum. I’m sure one of the team would tell you. They seem rather willing to share that reasoning.

I’ve seen the responses. But hey, call me a skeptic that SketchUp is developing an entirely new app with huge resources to support that new app - with absolutely no intention of eventually moving the professional users who actually pay for everything onto it.

Again, …, SketchUp Free is not an entirely new app. It has the same core as the SketchUp desktop version. The little html GUI around is rather little effort in comparison of the work and technology that has been invested into the core for probably over 15 years.

You asked why does SketchUp do this? They did probably only not publish “SketchUp Free” to annoy you, but also because they had the technology already available (remember “my.sketchup”, then “SketchUp for Schools” on Chromebooks?) in order to stay relevant for young generations who grow up in a multi-platform world.

If you knew something about opensource and agile software development, you would have heard that there are ways to release products (fixed release or rolling release) and that they significantly impact success of projects, the speed of development and quality. Some of the world’s best software is developed as rolling release (with fixed long-term support releases, google it). Rolling releases are brought earlier to users and better tested. Fixed release schedules however are prone to delays and are tested only very late, which results in too long feedback cycles to the developers.

My speculation is that the SketchUp core is now developed completely independently from Pro features (likely separate teams), and continuously released in the browser for testing and tuning performance. Pro feature development can be more focused. The biggest benefit is for paying customers, even two-fold, a well-tested engine and finally more features that get ready before a yearly release.

Users who prefer the free version pay by opting to test-drive the core and new UI experiments (google A-B testing).

6 Likes

Staying relevant to youth seems like a pretty far fetched excuse for making a neutered buggy version of software that lives inside a web browser. In my youth I was playing around with a full fledged version of 3D Studio Max - no crippled software was required.

1 Like

Oh Give it a rest.
All you’re here to do is complain.
All your posts are negative and add nothing to the forum.
Your list of feature requests simply show that you haven’t learnt how to use the software.
You obviously have some other preferred software, go back to it and stop blathering on.
Thankfully there is an Ignore option so I won’t be needing to see any more of your posts.

5 Likes