What’s up with SketchUp Make?

Right, since 2012 already.

2 Likes

This is totally stupid, I had one licence of pro and thre sketcup make working together. Web isn’t an option, when you live in area with poor internet connection. So good by Trimble, you lost one renewal of Pro licence

1 Like

It would be vague if licensing was the topic…this is about Make. I would suggest not standing by your assumptions.

@jbacus Hi there. I am a Sketchup Pro user from waaaaay back. I had a pro license about 10 years ago. After about a five-year gap of not using Sketchup, I tried to log back in with my old license. After they located it, I was told I needed to buy a new one. That was several years ago. Last week I started using the Free web version, and I am completely in the weeds.

Every time I try to use the help forums, commenters reference things that either don’t exist in the version I’m using or I’m simply too daft to find. For instance, there is no Sketchup toolbar. The only toolbar in my model is the Safari web browser toolbar. There are menus on the left and right respectively, but these are only for the basic set of tools. When searching for components in the 3D warehouse, I get ten results, but there is no option to go to subsequent search pages–2, 3, 4 . . . etc. So I’m limited to ten results I can download directly into my own model. I can search 3D warehouse in a separate window and download components (something I don’t really want to do) but even then I can’t figure out how to bring them into the model I’m working on.

So far, I’ve also been unable to figure out how to use grouping, turn items into components, etc. I’m expecting to become more familiar with the online version the more I use it, but perhaps you could lay out some of the broad strokes that allow this online version to function in a robust fashion.

Thanks in advance,

Todd

Dekstop Make is still available, you don’t need to use the online version while they are still working on it.

1 Like

Can’t help you directly with SU Free - I’ve very limited experience with it - but if your use is non-commercial you can still download SU Make 2017 or if your graphics card won’t run that, 2016.

See Download All | SketchUp.

Either will install as a 30 day trial of SU Pro, but will revert to Make (without either of the companion programs Layout or Style Builder) at the end of the trial period.

Is that the issue–they’re still working on the online version? I completely skipped the Desktop Make years as I went from Pro ten years ago to “online” a week ago. Didn’t realize I could download a robust, free, Desktop version currently. If anybody’s got a quick link to the desktop version, feel free to post it. If not, I’ll search it out when I’ve got some time.

Thanks much,

TJ

Our posts crossed, I think. Go to the folder I posted above

They seem to be adding things as they go, it’s probably an ongoing process. Here are the links: Download All | SketchUp

Thanks for giving SketchUp Free a close look. Remember you can download and install the latest version of SketchUp Make at any time if you’re having trouble adjusting to the UI changes that we’ve made to get up and running in your web browser.

For a quick intro to the UI of SketchUp Free, you may want to re-run the Welcome Tour.

It is still feature-incomplete. But you CAN make groups or (better) components.

@john_mcclenahan Awesome. Thanks John. Yeah, my use is non commercial, now. Just toying around with some 3D models for a house we’re building on a severely sloped lot. I can only think spatially, so 2D plans are pretty useless to my limited imagination.

Todd

You can also find download links in the “App Downloads” screen in the left sidebar. Click on the “Hamburger” menu at the top of the screen to open this view up.

49 PM

1 Like

@ToddJ, fyi, you old license only applied to the SU version you used that license with. If you really wanted to use that license, did you search your computer for the matching SU installer.exe? But odds are you would be happier with SU 17 Make.

You might well be, but ONLY IF your Mac has a good enough graphics card. Otherwise, you might need to use SU 2016, where you can choose (in Sketchup/Preferences/OpenGL, by unticking Use hardware acceleration) not to use the GPU. This isn’t an option in .SU 2017.

Go to your Apple menu, top left, and click ‘About this Mac’, and post a screenshot of what it shows.

(Use Shift+Option+Command+4 to get a window to select round the dialog - that will copy it to the clipboard when you let go of the mouse after dragging round the dialogue). Then start a new post on the forum, and use Comman+V to paste it into the text window here.

1 Like

I’ve heard that SketchUp Free does not allow export as Collada (.dae) format. Are there any plans to change that?

You can upload your model to the Warehouse and then download the Collada file from there.

2 Likes

Like others, I’ve used Sketchup since the Google days; for woodworking, remodeling and other personal projects, but never in a professional capacity. I’ve read through this very long thread (ok, I probably skipped over a few) and there are many valid points made on both sides of the fence.

I’m squarely in the “please keep Make alive” camp. Many of the arguments made here ultimately revolve around professional needs and personal preferences (many of which I share). I’ve attempted to put those aside and find a few “truths” that I think most will accept, and base my ultimate opinion on those:

• The current state of Sketchup Free is vastly inferior to Sketchup Make

• Any cloud-based application is limited by its dependence on both a fast, reliable, high-bandwidth internet connection and the operational stability offered by the service provider.

• The availability of a free version of Sketchup, along with a freely-available programming API for developing add-on functionality, has been integral in expanding awareness of Sketchup in the professional community and cultivating a large user base, many of whom go on to use the Pro version as one of their business tools.

• Make 2017, although still available for use, if not supported by Trimble will eventually succumb to technology creep and cease to be a viable application.

• There is support among many in the “non-professional” Sketchup community for paying a reasonable price for Sketchup Make (think Photoshop Elements).

• For a software company to release a product in a new but functionally inferior platform while simultaneously ending support for the previous platform with no guarantee that the new platform will reach equivalent functionality before the old platform becomes unusable, is at best callous and at worst unethical.

Personally, my plan is to use 2016 or 2017 for as long as it continues to work. If it becomes unusable, I’ll have to look at alternatives. I suspect someone will come along and take advantage of the void by offering a lower-cost alternative to Sketchup Make. It’s already happening to Adobe – Serif has released Affinity Designer: a high-quality, low-cost hybrid of Photoshop and Illustrator.

4 Likes

Friends at Tremble: I think this is a mistake. Yes - there are folks who will remain on a free version for ever - but those folks aren’t your target audience anywhere.

I want you to know I started as a free version user 3 years ago. Within 1 year I decided to purchase Pro and have renewed my license since then. I am sure you are looking at your conversion rate so perhaps it is lower than you expect to make this decision. I can tell you I would never use a web based version - it is no substitute to a native app.

You could go to a rental model like Adobe is doing with its creative suite to attract more users who can’t afford a large single payment. The Sketchup free makes no sense to me as a future growth platform.

2 Likes

I would just add some other element to re-think about closing SketchUup Make down, as I really think this could be an end of an amazing software.

There are so many new software coming out and one of them will take SketchUpspace if hobbyists will not be suppertod by a usable dekstop version of SketchUp Pro. Lets face it, it is a big market out there for people who can become professional by self-education (unfortunatley you can`t have a student linces for that)…At the moment - it think - the majority of these people use SketchUp!

Just a few software that I would like to try out:

• Google Blocks (free)
  • Rhino
  • ArchiCAD 21 (I am solid ArchiCAD 18 user)
  • Blender (free )
  • Rhino

I would welcome some comment on alternatives. Thanks,