What’s up with SketchUp Make?

I have like four. Lol…:joy:
But I should probably put a couple on a flash drive just to be safe.

I’m just hoping when SketchUp Pro 2019 comes out it doesn’t bump SketchUp Make 2017 off the list…

It’s not a problem to make the list one line longer.

3 Likes

I would like to throw my hat in to the ring regarding the Online only version of Sketchup. The points raised by Mike.b resonates quite well with me and I would hope from Trimble as well. I’m just not quite clear on whether the folks at Trimble look at this community post. Similar to video game forums, I would hope that they would be looking at what the user base is saying and work hard to provide what the people actually want.

• I have tried, and also really dislike the new online only version of Sketchup. As pointed out by others, when I got about 2-3 hours in to a design of a new table, the lag became intolerable.

• I particularly like using the shortcut keys to switch between items like rectangle vs hand vs orbit, etc and this stops working due to the lag. I too am on a fast 5G network at my home that I use for gaming so it isn’t my network that has the issue.

• Some have pointed out that a reasonable price point of $100-200 for an offline version would likely be accepted by the hobby community. I agree with that but only if it is a one time fee for the download. I see that there is a new name out there now called Sketchup Shop. I thought that might be something I would entertain but: a) it is still Online only, b) it doesn’t offer me anything useful for the price point that I have to have and c) it is a yearly fee. Yearly fees smack too much of a Microsoft type business model and again doesn’t give me additional benefit for hobby applications.

• It was interesting to read about the management at Trimble finally realizing the issue of online only once they were trying to work on the plane. It is exactly this kind of thing - working on a plane, sitting out on the back deck sipping a cold one of one’s choice designing the next project for the spouse, etc that makes the offline version so valuable and necessary.

• Fortunately, I still have Sketchup Make 2017 which I am going to revert to. I just need figure out now how to get all of the work I did this weekend on the online version exported to Make 2017 so I can speed up the design process.

Sincerely,
Tim Stauffer

1 Like

I will add one positive for the online version which I am sure was one of the reasons the developers were likely thinking of online only. With an online application, as long as any computer you visit or use has the supported web browser, you can access your model anywhere, anytime. So, if I travel to visit my parents for example and don’t take my computer, I can log in to my dad’s computer and show him the project I am working on. We are both woodworkers and we like to trade ideas and information quite often. I at least wanted to point out one positive that I see for online applications. Having said that, I’m still going back to Make 2017:grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks for evaluating this so closely, I thi nk both of your comments are great ones. I can understand why you might not have read the entirety of this thread so far (yay! 900th post!), but if you did you would see me making both of these points before.

But for completeness, I do think SketchUp for Web makes it easier and more convenient to access your models from multiple computers, and for raw performance (for now, anyway) you’re going to be happier with SketchUp running natively on your desktop computer. That’s why we kept SketchUp Make 2017 available to you. No need to worry about accessing the installer - we have a link to download it again right inside SketchUp Free.

To make it easy to sync all your cloud-saved models to your local computer, you might want to give Trimble Connect Sync a try.

john

5 Likes

It could have been flagged as you’ve doubled posted, and thus spammed the forum. Might even be automatic, I don’t know.

I agree that the rendering information is a valuable one and shouldn’t be flagged…

But double posting is still against the forum rules.

1 Like

Didn’t double post. I felt having a free alternative for rendering and realtime animation is valuable. Perhaps the manager who pulled my post likes paid alternatives better?

I suspect this will be suppressed as well. They suppressed my last complaint as well calling out their censoring ways.

You posted the exact same thing in the SketchUp Pro Future thread, too. That’s double posting.

Or you can be paranoid.

2 Likes

YES, after this one was censored.

Maybe the comment was flagged because it was off topic to the discussion of what’s up with SketchUp Make, I don’t know. I didn’t flag it. Anyhow, denying double posting isn’t helping. This is double posting.

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/sketchup-pro-future/82761/126?u=eneroth3

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/what-s-up-with-sketchup-make/55219/974?u=eneroth3

1 Like

I didn’t have anything to do with flagging it either so I don’t know why. I saw that you’d made the identical post twice and that’s it.

Yep. I posted it a second time after I was notified this one was removed.

Whatever. I didn’t have anything to do with the removal of your post but it’s starting to sound like you’re blaming me. I’m out.

I did not know you could still see my post on your web page. I believed it was removed and only I could see it. That is why I didn’t think I double posted, b/c the original post I believed was deleted from universal view. I have been corrected and so I apologize for any inconvenience a double post may had cost anyone harm.

I know now that even if a first post is removed, it is still subject to viewing. Thank you for clarifying that.

1 Like

As of this morning, the post can still be viewed.

Untitled

Sketchup Free 2019 is NOTHING BETTER than the previous. still suck. if only you guys can monetize with different ways. maybe like youtube and facebook.

we get commercial every now and then. or a real vendor gives free 3d object of the real object. and there are Buy Button beside the 3d object to buy them as real object.

but all the important feature in sketchup make still there.

You have the right to your opinion.
Please make it coherent.

2 Likes

There is no free version of SketchUp 2019.

2 Likes