What’s up with SketchUp Make?

I’m interested in what Trimble has to say regarding Ruby extensions? To pretend extensions aren’t a significant part of the product is foolish, and something which, if not addressed, will doom the cloud version fast, if not already.

I’ve been a Pro user since it was first offered by Google, and a paid user of the product before then. Still, I believe the loss of Make is a marketing blunder akin to the “New Coke.” Sure, you CAN use browser apps, but to severely cripple them the way Trimble is doing turns the free version into nothing more than a one-trick toy.

The reason I like Make is so that I can convince other users to use SU. The larger the overall userbase, the better the chance I can find others to help on projects-- not to mention the huge threat of a product like SketchUp collapsing under market pressures.

My prediction is unless Trimble changes their mind, SU will see a strong migration off of SU by both Make and Pro users alike. It’s more than clear, other than 64-bit compatibility, Trimble has done very little to keep SU current technology-wise: no native UVmapping, no navtive VR/AR export, poor materials, no native realistic rendering, no native animation. These are all things provided by 3rd party extensions, which of course are no longer available in the Free version.

If Trimble doesn’t rethink this…and fast… I, too, fear the product is doomed. I’m right now looking at other products.

3 Likes