What do you use for rendering?

I speculate that someone updated the server’s PHP engine without adequate testing of their site’s code. The warnings I see are about deprecated function options and incorrect parameter types passed to functions. Do you know a way to contact them to point out the issue?

1 Like

I’ll see if I can figure out who and how to contact them,

I just tried Brighter 3D with SU 2018. It maxed out my i7 8700K processor and crashes SU at some point in its run. The model was four components, two walls, a floor and a cube.
EDIT:
I figured out the cause of the crash was in one of the plugins I had loaded.

Their website seems to be somewhat in a mess. This link worked 5 minutes ago.

I have been using Maxwell for the last 4-5 years now.

It looks different than it did earlier. I sent them an e-mail to let them know but haven’t had a response from them.

It is working now for me, too.

wow.
I really dont understand how to get results like…
this is the best ive gotten and its light years away from that!

Ill look into that ty!

I use Twilight Render Pro. I like how it’s easy to use and the fact that it can load external proxy models.

2 Likes

Many of the renderers can produce similar results but the difference is often in one’s proficiency using it.
Modeling is one thing, rendering is another. To produce a good render there have to be decent textures applied to the model and then there has to be a fair bit of photographic knowledge, in placing the camera and how to apply convincing ( dramatic or natural) lighting. Most rendering software can’t do this automatically.

Indigo.

Powerful, fast, easy enough to configure, has many features (flythrough anims, network rendering, gpu or cpu modes, etc), not too expensive.

Alternatively I use Lumion which comes with a good animated library of people, plants, animals, etc, and an excellent environment system, but it’s pricey.

2 Likes

Great point. Good renderings are one part software and the other part good eye for: design, composition, lighting, materials, context and entourage. No ‘easy button’ for those!

Very valid point, I cant seem to find tutorials that really show how to utilize and apply the different functions…

I dont mind a steeper learning curve if its more capable, I just cant seem to find the right tutorials.

How did you add trees etc is that in the actual model mustve taken forever to render…
I’m doing this all wrong! :roll_eyes:

I think the most important thing with using Sketchup is being able to navigate around the model easily, so you can’t add too many detailed trees etc… You need to add the detailed stuff close to the camera and the less detailed stuff further away. In my image some of the trees are just face me .png components and the background is just a .hdr image. Then as the modelling get closer to the camera I’ll add more detailed models, which can be external proxies if things start running slow. Try adding transparency and reflections to the windows and a background image in your model.

Here is an super quick example of how to get high quality trees, etc without overloading your model or talking hours and hours to render. Trick is to combine a few different processes together to maximize efficiency and quality.
Trees: Laubwerk
Shrubs: Custom proxies from various sources.
Background: Dome light with HDRI
Render engine: VRAY interactive.

2 Likes

I’m in the process of trying Indigo now @AK_SAM , and so far, really impressed. It can actually use my GPU too and it flies!

Mike

1 Like

I use the same process as Eric with laubwerk and vray, does not impact the model as all the geom and mats are pulled in at render time.
Laubwerk plant kits aren’t cheap but look great.

5 Likes

Using proxies and external landscape details such as laubwerk is almost a must in order to produce a great quality photorealistic render like the ones above, but the great thing about sketchup is it does allow you to export a simpler 2D image as well if you use your own landscape models, which some clients prefer over a very realistic render. It all depends I suppose on what satisfies the clients requirements the best. For example here is the native Sketchup model version of my previously posted rendered model.

5 Likes

Absolutely, I use the SketchFX plugin with faceme components to do very quick NPR renders before photoreals to convey a general feel or materials demonstration for the client.! Layering up face me components can look great

7 Likes