Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Why wont my 3D warehouse work?

• Who are you?
    My name is Elizabeth M.
  • What is your industry and profession?
    I am a singer and an artist.
  • **`Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Personally.
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
    -I like to get all my drawings on paper in a scaled drawing.
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
    I am a Beginner.
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3D Basecamp?
    no
  • What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.]
1 Like

Hello! ¡Hola!

My name is Stephanie I’m a Mexican architect and interior designer based in Nantes,France! I been using Sketchup for 7 years now,I am at an advanced level but theres always something new to earn, I’m using Sketchup + vray 5 and working on Mac.

Favorite emoji::avocado::see_no_evil:

2 Likes
  • Who are you? Marmo Pedro

• What is your industry and profession? Design 3D

• Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I have been working with SketchUp for a short time, I use it for 3D architectural projections and I use it as time passes sometimes.

• Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I use SketchUp because it is incredible and at the same time simple to use, it gives me fantastic working time. The park I like the most about SketchUp is being able to imagine things at will in it.

• How proficient are you in SketchUp? I’ve been using SketchUp for 14 years now, I’m an advanced user.

• Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? I haven’t had that opportunity yet.

• What is your current set up? My computer is currently a wonderful Samsung notebook with low configuration, only 4GB of RAM and a 2.4Ghz i3 processor. My current SketchUp is 2021.

• Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
    Warehouse / https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/by/marmopedro
    Behance / Behance

• Anything else you would like to tell us? I already modeled a former president of Brazil who called him a vampire from hell.

• What is your favorite Emoji? :new_moon_with_face:

• Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? I prefer to walk between my room and the kitchen to eat.

1 Like

Who are you? Chris Dunn, Columbia, Missouri. (It’s a very nice place to live)

What is your industry and profession? I am a self-employed attorney who uses Geographic Information Systems, 3D modeling, and other media platforms to solve problems for my clients. Most of my clients are other attorneys. I especially enjoy applying GIS to historical mapping problems.

I currently have two non-profit clients that allow me to work on their very cool historical mapping projects. I don’t have an active law practice because the geospatial work is so much more fulfilling.

Where do you use SketchUp? Mostly I use SketchUp to recreate accidents, incidents, & crime scenes within a geospatial context. In other words, where was everything when the thing happened? I am also making an unnecessarily detailed model of my home. I frequently use an EOS Arrow GNSS and Nikon Total Station to verify the spatial accuracy of incident sites. Those tools are powerful additions to a great tool. I started off years ago using SketchUp to help people get through my city’s rezoning and historic preservation process.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? The dimension tool and shadowing.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? I know what I know and I am always trying to learn more. Anyway, aren’t we all supposed to be constantly learning and challenging ourselves?

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No, but I will look into it. I just don’t want to have to ever say, “Well, there was that one time at 3DBasecamp where…”

What is your current set up? Intel Xeon 3.4 Ghz, 32G Ram, 2 Nvidia GeForce GTX 960s, six monitors of various suitability sitting on a stand-up desk. Six monitors may sound silly, but when you are running a GIS and a few other necessary programs they are a godsend. I also have a great dog named Loki, who sleeps while I work.

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Unfortunately I do not have a 3D warehouse, not yet. Although a motorcycle rear rack I designed and posted appears to be popular. My website is GeoVelo.com

Anything else you would like to tell us? I have used SketchUp to support fact-finding in several legal cases with excellent results. It is a great tool.

What is your favorite Emoji? 'Merican Flag

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Thank you, but no. But I LOVE long walks with Loki on the Katy and MKT trails. Bike rides on those trails are also so much fun.

I offer my sincerest gratitude to everyone who has helped to develop and improve SketchUp!

GeoVeloLogoDark430x184

5 Likes

Hi There, Im James.
Im new completey new to Sketchup and heard aboout it throug a friend who has been using it for over 10 years.
I own and operate a small engineering business based in the north of england opperating in the plastics industry.
We usually send out our line drawings to our manufacturers and engineers who manufacture from those drawings but we are finding more and more that 3d modelling is becoming more and more prominent.
We do have somebody who can do this for us (quite expensive) but as we are only a very small company ive decided to try to translate the line drawings we have into 3d models my self.
I have started out on a couple of machine parts but not sure if I am going about this in the right way and wouid appreciate some guidance if possible!?

Is it ok for me to post what I have done so far or what? I am new to all this so not exactly sure how this works?

I m looking forward to getting into this immensly so if anyone has any suggestions it would be great to hear back!

Cheers
James

3 Likes

Welcome James.

Yes. That is possible. You can start threads to ask your questions. Share screen shots or even the SketchUp model if you can. The more you give us to work with, the easier it is for us to answer your questions.

Absolutely yes. There is a Gallery category. Show off images of what you’ve modeled there.

1 Like
  • Who are you? ( show us those pearly whites :smiley: — to start, just one photo if you please )
    I’m Michael Ireland, and I don’t usually spread a huge number of pics of myself on the 'ole interwebs.
  • What is your industry and profession?
    Process Operator / Power Engineer
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
    Personally; weekend-warrior woodworking
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…)
    Lately, it’s been helping me plan out my garage shop remodel (we’re using that word loosely)
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
    Very slightly better than beginner, but not very deep into intermediate.
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
    I have no idea what that is
  • What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
    PC: Custom, but it’s a few years old now - and I’ve been using Linux for close to 20 years now, also various work PCs; Android cellphone for viewing; attached smallish 2-car garage (with barely room for 1 car), lots of decent woodworking tools, and I drive a Tesla. Also, why isn’t there a Linux version of Sketchup? I mean, I can make it work on Linux via WINE, but it feels hacky to do it that way.
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
    I don’t even know what that is, although I have heard whisperings of warehouses in the deep recesses of the Interwebz
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
    So far, Sketchup has allowed me to build a precise cabinet for the corner of my garage (just something simple), and it made the fabrication job really smooth because I’d already worked out all the fine details ahead of time. Next-up, matching straight cabinets, and then a fancy Router cabinet.
  • What is your favorite Emoji?
    :face_with_raised_eyebrow: and :thinking:
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...?
    I dunno … I’ve only dreamed of walking on a beach large enough for a long walk. I live on the baldass prairies of western Canada. One day I’d love to go to Seychelles. I might also enjoy selling everything I own and moving with my wife Thailand.
1 Like

Hi Everyone. I’m Lorenzo. I’m a graphic designer by profession but as I have no work at the moment (and I’m near retirement) I thought I’d teach myself SketchUp to map out my house.
I’m using SUfree web on a MBook Pro. I don’t intend to use this for financial gain but more to challenge myself with something I’ve always fancied doing.
I’ve looked at few tutorials and have made a good start although I know I need to be more disciplined with my construction process (grouping / tabs).
I’m keen to utilise a 3D warehouse but not sure how to do that yet.
My current frustration is generating 3D terrain, seems I can’t in the Free version but as I’m only playing at the moment the Pro version is an expense I can’t afford just now.
I’m impressed by you sketchUp developers, you have my respect!

2 Likes

Who am I? My Name is Dan Corcoran
What is my industry and profession? Remodleing specilizing in home Access. ( Ramps, Stair lifts, Platform lifts, and Bathroom Modifications, for an exsample.)
Where do you use sketchup? Both Professionally / and with my local roboticts teams.
Why do I use Sketchup? To start it was free. Now becuse I am use to it and I can create custome componets that apply to my work.
How Proficient am I with Sketchup? Well I would say intermediate level still lots to learn and apply.
Have I gone to Sketchup 3D Basecamp? No not as of yet.
What is my curent set up? Just upgraded to 2021 pro using a Lenovo 17in laptop intel Core i7 with a Navidia Geforce GTX vid card.
Do I have a 3D warehouse page? no not at this time.
What is my favorite Emoji? no i don’t
Do I enjoy long walks on the beach? Yes I do with my special lady.

1 Like

i am jobot i love walks on beaches and flying do any others

1 Like

Who are you? My name is Simon Spencer What is your industry and profession? I am a civil Engineer and Asset Manager in the nuclear industry Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I use it a home, but am trying to incorporate 3D technology into my business place. Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?** (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…). Initially because it was a free resource, but I now pay for it myself and I find it intuitive to use and it creates great visuals for those that do not know…
How proficient are you in SketchUp?`
* Beginner, intermediate, advanced? I’d say intermediate amateur.

• Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No, never.
  • What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) Windows 10 and Sketchup 2021 Pro
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? No, not yet. Some of my work is classified.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) I do have an Ultimaker 3D printer which is awesome…
  • What is your favorite Emoji? I smile a lot…
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? I live in the Lake District. Who needs a beach?
3 Likes

my name is annaleece

2 Likes

Hello to everyone,

I’m Alex, 25 years old, working in France on worldwide project as Project Leader Engineer. These projects involve most of the time the conception of maritime bulk terminals.
I use sketchup for this job but also for personnal 3D printings, so these are two very differents scales of modelings and skecthup has for me the best ratio modeling time / result ! :ok_hand:
I would say that me and my collegues have an advanced level on sketchup.

• Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? - No
  • What is your current set up? - Lenovo P53, Quadro RTX 4000, Sketchup Pro 2019 - 2020 - 2021
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? This one is usefull https://www.sketchuptextureclub.com/
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? I already saw someone crying for a “Bug splat”, this guy lost more than 300 Mo of modeling :scream: :sweat_smile:

See you soon on forums ! :v:
Alex

6 Likes

Good morning from Austin, TX. USA. I’ve used Sketchup off and on for a few years (self taught) and had some successes, but as you all must know suffered many frustrations. I am now enrolled in the Sketchup School and learning to use Sketchup in an organized proper manner:)
In high school some 50 years ago, I loved Architectural Drawing and took it for 2 years. That was back in the day when we used pencil and velum paper. Everything was about you pencil drawing skills:) Yet I learned some valuable things of course and went on in life as a sub and then general contractor. Plan reading and then eventually custom basic floor plan design for commercial office spaces etc came in handy.
I am now working part time with veteran and senior housing projects and am the draftsman for a manufacturer. So I’d like to increase my skills and be able to output quality construction documents.
Thanks and I look forward to participating in this forum,
Marc

3 Likes

Hello! I am David. I started using the free version of Sketchup in 2010 and it’s been my go to tool ever since. This year I finally bough a subscription for myself for Christmas. I feel that I know a lot about the program but I’m now learning so much more. It’s nice to feel like a beginner again :smile:. This community has been very helpful.
Have a great year 2021!!!

3 Likes
  • What is your industry and profession? I’m a professor in a totally unrelated-to-SketchUp field.
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Personally, but I have a loosely held goal of being able to do 3D modeling as a very part-time retirement career in 10 years or so. We’ll see. If that doesn’t happen, I’ll still have developed a cool hobby.
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? So far, I’ve used it to work on a house plan and to make (yet unfinished) plans for small woodworking projects that I’ve already built just to learn it. It’s addictive. I’m hoping to learn photorealistic rendering and how to use it for 3D printing next.
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Between beginner and intermediate, I guess. Probably closer to beginner than I realize.
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Nope.
  • What is your current set up? Free, just using my work laptop for now–I’ll take all that as far is goes and then decide whether to invest in whatever would be required to keep learning.
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? I got into this very sideways after learning 2D SVG pretty well, which I’ve used for some major home renovation projects and to design t-shirts: https://www.teepublic.com/user/seescotty. :slight_smile: I’ve really enjoyed learning all that and having a pastime totally unrelated to my job, and making coffee money is a nice bonus.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? If anyone involved with the podcast sees this, thanks for your work on that! It’s great.
  • What is your favorite Emoji? I’m more of an emoticon guy, but I do make good use of the grimace emoji.
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? Yes, with my wife and four kids. :slight_smile:
    [/quote]
2 Likes

Very cool business–great website. One thing I’m enjoying learning about is all the niche applications of 3D modeling. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Who are you? I’m Jack, living in France

• What is your industry and profession? Computer engineer of 52’ since some years
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Only Personally !
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? My daughter saw a web version of sketchup in the classroom. So when I bought a 3D Printer, 2 years ago, it was my first try in this 3D world… And when you have some habits, it’s hard to change (I’m old school…)
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Always beginner. Just looking sometimes on YouTube to find some lessons.
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Never. No time for that on holydays…
  • What is your current set up? 24’ Screen, W10, SU pro 2021 (bast*** version with those thumbnails missing !)
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? You can find there my hobbys : Energetic models… www.pyramide3d.over-blog.com
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? No UFO, but my drone, and a created new legs for it :wink:
  • What is your favorite Emoji? :-p
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? No beach there … but I really love walking in the normandy woods.
2 Likes

Hi Guys Pleased to meet you.
I am technician for a large Medical Company and I am using SketchUp viewer for use on the Hololens2. I really like the ease of use, being able to upload models quickly and simply. I have very little knowledge and don’t use SketchUp, other than to upload 3D drawings done at work, to the HL2. Beginner.

I haven’t gone to a SketchUp basecamp. My current set up is a crappy little Dell Latitude that is already bursting at the seams. I’m using SketchUp 2021. latest version. I don’t have a 3D warehouse page but have been uploading objects from there and playing around with them on HL2 which is mighty cool! I have found myself in the position of being pretty much the only person proficient enough to do this on HL2 at my company and am looking to get a firm grip on SketchUp, even though I won’t be doing any design work myself.

I also love long walks on the beach :slight_smile:

1 Like