Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi I am completely new to sketchup and I can not figure out how to size a simple object such as a rectangle. I am utilizing the educational web version. I select the rectangle tool click it and type my dimensions into the VCB and hit enter. This does nothing to the rectangle and the vcb stays highlighted. Not sure what is going on. If you know what I am doing wrong I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

1 Like

Hello my name is Cait, I’m an artist and sometimes designer.
I did an architectural degree ten years ago, so have some experience of using Sketchup but intermittently over the last decade, and somewhat rusty… also had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the digital drawing world… but am very pleased to be here now

Have used Sketchup for various bits of interior design work - bespoke shelving/storage unit, re-modelling space in an art centre’s workshop, a new kitchen - that kind of thing.

I like it because on the whole it is intuitive and more affordable than anything else out there.

I’d say I was heading towards the intermediate but probably not there yet!

Nope haven’t been to a Sketchup 3DBasecamp.

Ooo technical question… um…
Operating System Window 10 pro 64 Bit x 64 base processor, it’s new along with my Sketchup 2020 licence.

I don’t have a 3D Warehouse page, but my website: www.caitsweeney.com has some of my design drawings, although suspect I used a combination of microstation and photoshop rather than Sketchup.

I’ve never seen a UFO but my Granny did once.

:sweat_smile: :rofl: :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yes, long walks on the beach are always a bonus, I live in Oxford UK almost the furthest part of the country from any bit of coastline…

3 Likes

Hi, I’m retired and an amateur artist with the old fashioned method of pen on paper, and decided to give Sketch up a go out of curiosity. I heard about it from Webuser magazine, which recommended it, and it’ll be my first try of any digital art software, though I have used image editors like Photofiltre to enhance my art work.

2 Likes

I was in Bahrain for a few weeks late last year on a project. I had a great time and felt very welcomed by everyone. Nice beaches, nice people. I managed to make it to the national museum on my time off which was fascinating and I may have seen the buildings you manage. Welcome to Sketchup.

Hi my Name’s Brent. Firstly, I want to thank you folks here at SU community for being there! It’s so good to find a place where I can lean from and hopefully contribute to - I’ve never really done the whole ‘forum thing’ before!

I’ve been casually using Sketchup for several years on and off - to help me with a VERY basic planning application and simple pieces of built in furniture.

I spent last year on a full-time furniture making course and now that’s my thing! I like combining traditional drafting (that’s right, paper and pencil! :open_mouth:) with 3D modelling. So it’s time to up-skill on Sketchup and refine my model-making and furniture design process.

There has to be something good to come out of COVID19 isolation, so I’ve been blasting through the Youtube Skill Builders and am loving the Live modelling sessions. Thanks Aaron, et al. (I’m not sure who al is?!)

I bought Sketchup pro early in 2017 and have been using it to help conceptualise projects with clients on a very basic level. Going forward I want to be able to produce more detailed drawings that will be useful in the workshop.
I use Sketchup with my MacBook Pro 15" - no mouse, just the built in track pad! Because that’s how I roll! But it would be nice to graduate to an actual mouse sometime soon. If anyone can recommend a descent mid-range mouse I’d be super grateful! :smiley:

I think that’s about all for now. Oh I love beach walks - and after those walks, if there’s a beach related refreshing cocktail, then I love that too!! :wink:

@Brentidge Welcome to the SketchUp forum. It is certainly possible to use SketchUp via trackpad, I do it when I have to, but the program is a pleasure to drive with a three button scroll wheel mouse. The ability to orbit/zoom without switching tools via the scroll wheel is crucial. There are many available, in a range of prices and features. I tend to use cheaper ones I can easily replace as they get destroyed in my work. I am happy with this cheapie:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013WC0P2A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HglGEbVZ6RMWJ

But there are certainly nicer ones out there, just make sure it has a scroll wheel and a scroll wheel button.

I agree with e.f. and prefer less expensive wireless mice. I tend to stick with mice from Logitech which have served me well. Some folks like lots of buttons on their mice. I don’t. I teach a lot of students (mostly woodworkers) and it seems much easier if I’m working the way they would. Also makes it easier to walk up to any computer and use SketchUp on it because I don’t need a special mouse to do it.

Thanks for the recommendation EF! I think that will be a game changer for my productivity :+1:

1 Like

Hi Dave, spooky - I was just watching your tutorial on when not to use the scale tool!!

And thanks for the advice.

I set out this morning to mess about with sandbox for the first time and spent most of that time figuring out how to get the tool pallet on my screen! While watching your video I couldn’t believe how many tools you’ve got around your toolbar. Your screen is like a highly decorated war vet! Have you published any videos that do an overview of what those tools do? the extensions, I mean?

Thanks

Hi Brent,

That is a bit spooky. :smiley:

I guess I haven’t done any videos on what they all do. That would get long and boring I expect. Maybe in these days some folks would sit through it anyway. :smiley: I could make you a screen shot with labels indicating what they are.

Ha! yes thinking about it, that was like asking for an overview of all of sketchup!!! I was particularly interested in those down the sidebar that look quite woodworker specific? Are they joint cutting tools? Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 16.20.26|423x500

The ones with the brown icons are from Wudworx. Dovetails, Mortise and Tenon, Board Maker, and Drill. Actually I never use Board Maker and almost never use Mortise and Tenon. I have a faster method for both of those.

The green one is called Rake and Splay.

1 Like

Hi All, the name is Tim. people call me TiMn8er. an old nickname. Im new to sketchup. Im new to cad software so i have a learning curve to work with. Id like to start working more with design, hardscape and soft scape. Ill do my best to help other when i can, im more into the asking questions stage.
Cheers

1 Like

Ok, here I go…thanks for your warm welcome

• Who are you? My name is Karl, born many moons ago in Germany
  • What is your industry and profession? Germany degree in civil & structural engineering (1970’s), but never worked in that profession. Since then multiple stints in various industries.
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I started to use SU when designing my current house in 2014, with the free software then. Now, I did upgrade to SU Pro for some paid design work.
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I grew up with just 2-D mechanical drawings next to my slide ruler, but with SU I could draw some nice 3-D stuff, to show different views and angles of my projects.
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Novice Beginner
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No
  • What is your current set up? Lenova 470 ThinkPad with 32G Ram, Intel HD 620, SU Pro 2020, no lake house, do not like those red cars…
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? No
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? Never stayed in a Holiday Express…
  • What is your favorite Emoji? Smile
  • **`Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? No, not really…
1 Like

I am Michael. I am a retired Product development engineer, but I drive school bus Part time. I can now enjoy my pastimes of woodworking and gardening. I use SketchUp for designing the projects I build in my workshop. I am a beginner to SketchUp. I used Solidworks before. The concept is about the same, but there is a new learning curve with SketchUp. I run SketchUp on a Dell Inspiron laptop with dual screens.

4 Likes

Hey, name is Vaibhav, and I’m IT professional.
I like to draw things, so I started learning Sketch-up.
My favorite thing about sketchup is push-pull tool and follow-me tool.
I’m a biginner, and I’m using sketchup web free version. :grinning:

1 Like
  • Who are you? Pradi Irvan* :grinning:
  • What is your industry and profession? Architect
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Personally
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…) Simple and Fun
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? I’m Beginner User
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Not yet
  • What is your current set up? [Legion Y720, SketchUp 2019 .]
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Not Yet
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? Nothing right now
  • What is your favorite Emoji? Smiley Emoji
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? Yes
1 Like

goodday and hello, im a novice aswell, former solidworks user. I hear ya with the learning curve

1 Like

I’m retired and trying to learn SketchUp to design furniture and not having much luck with it. I’ve watched several tutorials and a decent DVD called “SketchUp for Woodworkers,” from Fine Woodworking magazine.

I probably bit off more than I can chew in that the piece I’m trying to design is a somewhat complicated cabinet with lots of mortises, tenons, inset panels, etc. I’ll look for another place on this forum to ask some specific questions.

I’m using the 2017 free version on a Mac computer.

2 Likes

Maybe the author of that DVD from Fine Woodworking can help you directly. :wink:

5 Likes