Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi my name is Andrew, I live in Jersey CI.

I work in Manufacturing in the steel industry and produce various items in steel, aluminium, stainless steel, nylon and glass. we also maintain and service mechanical equipment ranging from automatic doors to compressors and vehicle lifts.

We use sketch up at our workshop for work projects and also for DIY projects around the house.

We use sketch up to transfer site dimensions into fabrication drawings and also to produce 3D models which help show customers what the finished product will look like.

I guess I’m a beginner in the fact that I can produce what I need most of the time but for sure there are much easier and more practical ways and processes I should be using to reach the end result.

•Have you gone to a Sketch Up 3DBasecamp? No, I mostly get stuck and try to find a tutorial on YouTube, although sometimes its difficult to find the correct terminology

• What is your current set up? I am currently using a big ass monitor with windows 8.1 pro and sketch up 2019

hoping to start using Sketch up more often and improve my knowledge and skills to produce better drawings in less time.

I like old cars and new bikes.

:grimacing:

2 Likes

Hi,
I am a long time slogger in Sketchup, Started in 2008, and am currently locked into 2015 pro . ( I had ventured into more recent versions but immediately face backward compatibility issues with my existing and previous work).
My profession is innovation in sustainable energy sport and household. Also focus on sustainable energy in the developing nations.
I have ventured into Blender (even 2.8) and other 3d software but none compares to sketchup’s ease of entry. I consider myself a slogging intermediate level user. I have not attended a base camp but did a week long training in Sketchup in SFO.Am using a Mac running el Capitan OS 10.11.6 on an aging 21" iMac desktop graphics card, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB , with a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

2 Likes

Hi,

My name is Kevin and I’m a Civil Eng. I started using Sketchup about 3 month ago because of a new project that I got involved( Metro Tunneling and stations). To be honest I found it most more user friendly than other 3d modelling apps I used before. I’m keen to spend more time on it and discover it fast. I know that there is a long journey.

4 Likes

Hi Everyone

I am completely new to sketchUp and am using the free version for personal use, to design some improvement to my home.

I don’t have the usual task bar at the top of my screen (File, Edit, View, Camera, Draw, Tools etc.) Can anyone advise how I get access to it?

1 Like

The web version doesn’t have the same user interface as the desktop version. Most of what you need will be available Jim either the toolbar on the left or in the panels on the right.

Hi David
Great to meet you
Im Dave from Australia
I am a Engineer CAD Drafty and a Builder
Just bought SketchUP and enjoying learning the ease and speed in which you can things here
What sort of work were you looking to contract out?
Cheers Dave P (Pembo)

Welcome - enjoy the fun

welcome enjoy the fun
you based in australia?
Im in Toowoomba

Hi Dave nice to meet you also. I guess my phrasing is a bit off, I meant I’m looking for Sketchup contracts. My background is Interiors, but have been branching out to any kind of architectural drawings, from conceptual to construction drawings.

Hey Pembo,

Yes mate. I’m in Brisbane.

image001.jpg

Hello Forum!!

• Who are you? ( show us those pearly whites :smiley: — to start, just one photo if you please )
    I’m Barry.
  • What is your industry and profession?
    Chicago architecture firm, and I’m an IT admin.
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
    Professionally.
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…)
    Because my architects use it? I only dabble /trumpetfingers
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
    Beginner. Support capacity mostly.
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
    I have not. Sounds pretty rad.
  • What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
    Mostly custom built PCs with dual monitors, GTX/RTX class of cards - sorry AMD/ATI, i7 or higher CPUs, and at least 32GB RAM.
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
    Not at this point.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
  • What is your favorite Emoji?
    The frazzled face? Zig zag smile, stink eye, with offset eyebrows. I have tiny kids, dude.
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...?
    Probably? Sound great in theory.

I am Terry.
Retired computer scientist.
Use Sketchup as a hobby.
I like the quick prototyping.
Intermediate skill level.
Dell XPS 8700, Windows 10, Sketchup 2019 Pro.