Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi,

My name is Kevin and I’m a Civil Eng. I started using Sketchup about 3 month ago because of a new project that I got involved( Metro Tunneling and stations). To be honest I found it most more user friendly than other 3d modelling apps I used before. I’m keen to spend more time on it and discover it fast. I know that there is a long journey.

4 Likes

Hi Everyone

I am completely new to sketchUp and am using the free version for personal use, to design some improvement to my home.

I don’t have the usual task bar at the top of my screen (File, Edit, View, Camera, Draw, Tools etc.) Can anyone advise how I get access to it?

2 Likes

The web version doesn’t have the same user interface as the desktop version. Most of what you need will be available Jim either the toolbar on the left or in the panels on the right.

Hi David
Great to meet you
Im Dave from Australia
I am a Engineer CAD Drafty and a Builder
Just bought SketchUP and enjoying learning the ease and speed in which you can things here
What sort of work were you looking to contract out?
Cheers Dave P (Pembo)

Welcome - enjoy the fun

welcome enjoy the fun
you based in australia?
Im in Toowoomba

Hi Dave nice to meet you also. I guess my phrasing is a bit off, I meant I’m looking for Sketchup contracts. My background is Interiors, but have been branching out to any kind of architectural drawings, from conceptual to construction drawings.

Hey Pembo,

Yes mate. I’m in Brisbane.

image001.jpg

Hello Forum!!

• Who are you? ( show us those pearly whites :smiley: — to start, just one photo if you please )
    I’m Barry.
  • What is your industry and profession?
    Chicago architecture firm, and I’m an IT admin.
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
    Professionally.
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…)
    Because my architects use it? I only dabble /trumpetfingers
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
    Beginner. Support capacity mostly.
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
    I have not. Sounds pretty rad.
  • What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
    Mostly custom built PCs with dual monitors, GTX/RTX class of cards - sorry AMD/ATI, i7 or higher CPUs, and at least 32GB RAM.
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
    Not at this point.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
  • What is your favorite Emoji?
    The frazzled face? Zig zag smile, stink eye, with offset eyebrows. I have tiny kids, dude.
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...?
    Probably? Sound great in theory.
1 Like

I am Terry.
Retired computer scientist.
Use Sketchup as a hobby.
I like the quick prototyping.
Intermediate skill level.
Dell XPS 8700, Windows 10, Sketchup 2019 Pro.

1 Like

Hello. I am a big fan of the SketchUp product. But in the development of some extensions I have difficulties due to poor knowledge of English. I want to adapt Russian into extensions. Of course, with the consent of the authors of these extensions. I have experience. I would like to know if this is possible or not, and what is needed for this?

1 Like

There are a lot of extensions that use a string file for translations, if you want to translate them for a broader audience, create a new topic in the forum, this thread is for introduction, merely.

Hello All - I’m a new SketchUp user, hoping to use it for quick product design sketches that we can share with our artisans. Our company designs small home decorating accessories like bowls, trays, tissue covers and canisters. Like every other new technology I’m learning this on the fly and on a deadline. Hope it’s as user-friendly as it appears to be, I’m sure I’ll have questions for the community! :smiley: :smiley:

Welcome to Sketchup @labrazel. The program is in may ways “user-friendly”, it is also a very powerful and complex piece of software, a moment to learn - a lifetime to master as they say. Woking in 3D may be different than any program you have used before. There are a few basic working concepts that if learned and understood well from the beginning can save you a lot of frustration on your journey along the learning curve. The Fundamentals in the learning campus are a good place to start.

My name is Curtis. I’m old (59). I used to enjoy drafting, went to Draughon’s Business College in Wichita Falls. It helped me get work as a machinist and, like all machinists, I now know everything. I’ve enjoyed Sketchup for years on a casual basis, planning my shop, creating fantasy homes, actual swimming pool deck, etc. Recently, I got a job as a cultivator for a corporation, and offered to help design an upcoming project. I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade to a subscription service, so I purchased Sketchup “Shop”. I was less than impressed with the gray tool icons on the sides of my screen when, before, There were “colored” tool icons in double rows! Up the leeft side and across the top! Whatsmore, there were dropdown windows across the top (Which I need, apparently, to import fonts and ALL other things. How do I get to the $109 level that I paid for?

1 Like

Hello I am Boxboy50 a Civil Engineer (well sorta civil). I am migrating from 3D Studio Max to Sketchup. I have lots of questions about using dual monitors with Sketchup, extensions, etc. I look forward to learning from your experiences. Maybe I can even help down the road.

You are probably referring to the desk top application (Pro or Make) the online version has quite a different interface.
Make is available for non-commercial use: https://www.sketchup.com/download/all
You may have to upgrade to pro subscription to get what you want within the bounds of the licence, otherwise use the shop version with its grey interface, despite this “Shop” is capable to create with native tools without extensions

Hello I’m Jorge Jaime from Chiclayo, Peru.

I’m a civil engineer

I use SketchUp professionally. I am implementing an BIM Office in my company.

I use SketchUp because it’s very easy to learn.

I am a beginner

Sketchup Pro 2019 running on a MacBook Air and also an iMac 21.5"

I do not have a 3DW page with my models yet

• Who are you?

• What is your industry and profession? . Software engineering manager / tech lead

• Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Personally

• Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Picked it up as a free modeling tool to model my house & yard in 2015, got hooked.

• How proficient are you in SketchUp? Intermediate - desktop version. Beginner - web version.

• Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No

• What is your current set up? Macbook Pro. Currently using web version, but have a ton of files from SU Make 2017/2018

1 Like

just think like a builder and you will be fine Dave

3 Likes