Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Привет
:+1:

1 Like

Hello! My name is Cliff. I am retired, and use sketchup to model woodworking projects. I am a beginner’s beginner. I use Sketchup at home. I have not had any training, just a few videos. I use Sketchup on a relatively basic HP laptop. I use Sketchup 2017.

4 Likes

Hello - I am a brand new beginner to Sketch up. Any recommendations where to start with the forum categories. thank you

Hi Meghan. Welcome to the forum. As for where to start, it might make more sense to search for things you want to know about as they come up. Also take advantage of the instructional materials in the Fundamentals as well as the various Help articles. Of course if you have specific questions, don’t hesitate to ask. If you can share your SketchUp file or at least screen shots when you ask your questions, it will make it easier to give you the exact help you need.

Thank you Dave. I have found some YouTube videos as well. Really looking forward to learning this free app first and then possibly moving on to the pro version.

Best wishes

Good luck. If you plan to move to the pro version at some point, perhaps because you’ll be using it in your business, you might consider starting with the 30-day trial of SketchUp 2019. The user interface is different enough that you may want to learn the version you’ll be using from the beginning.

Hi My name is David and I am relatively new to Sketchup. I use it to work on a hobby project.

I have a question regarding the export functions available in the Sketchup Shop version. Will it export a .stl file?

Thanks

DJH

Welcome to SketchUp and to the SketchUp Community Forum.

Yes, you can export .stl files. Click on the file folder icon and then Export.
Screenshot - 12_27_2019 , 7_02_31 PM

Hi - thanks for your response. I guess I should have added “3D .stl files”

thanks

DJH

If your model is 3D, the .stl file will be 3D.

thanks

SketchUp Free also exports to STL:
https://www.sketchup.com/plans-and-pricing/sketchup-free

Thanks Mike

Hi I am Dave (Pembo) from Toowoomba Australia
Just purchased SketchUp & Trialling PlusSpec get back into Residential Building Design & Drafting
Been off a computer CAD system for many years to looking for any tips, advice and cheat sheets to get up an running as quickly as possible etc
Thanks in advance

Dave P (Pembo)

1 Like

Hi Dave @Pembo , Welcome to Sketchup. There are some very useful tutorials on getting started in Sketchup here. There are a few core differences between Sketchup and other CAD packages available and understanding the fundamentals from the beginning can save a lot of confusion and frustration. This forum is also a great place to return to if you get stuck. Good luck.

2 Likes

Thanks Riley
Yes I am finding it very interesting learning the difference
I find the training videos keep hanging up - is this a common thing?
Who do i liaise with to see if i need some fix
Thanks
Dave

1 Like
  • Who are you?

• My name is David. I live in Vancouver Canada

• What is your industry and profession?

• I am an architectural designer and have a Joinery ticket (red-seal in Canada)

• Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?

• Professionally. I run a small company called David Joseph Interiors www.davjoin.com

• Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?

• I have and do use several CAD programs, but very much prefer Sketchup. I find it to be the best program for a designer who works from conception to completion, and find it to be the best from a creative perspective.

• How proficient are you in SketchUp?

• I would say advanced, I have spent many thousands of hours in Sketchup/Layout

• Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?

• I have not, but it's in my home-town this year and hope to attend!

• What is your current set up? Lenovo thinkpad (good for bringing out on the road and jobsites) Using Sketchup Pro 2018

• Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?

• Sure, my webpage is www.davjoin.com it is mostly a portfolio of work built by my company.

• Anything else you would like to tell us?

• I have been looking to contract more Sketchup work out and just thought of joining this forum, sorry I'm late to the party!

• Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...?

• I do! I live a short walk from the beach and go there often, either swimming or in a Kayak.

2 Likes

Hi I’m Paul from Manchester, England
I’m a Graphics Designer. My main job is to duplicate and retouch old
photographs eg remove scratchesor other marks and add or remove objects, I’m a beginner and I like to use Sketchup. I like to use Sketchup to me its easiest 3d softwhere I have used.

3 Likes

Hi my name is Andrew, I live in Jersey CI.

I work in Manufacturing in the steel industry and produce various items in steel, aluminium, stainless steel, nylon and glass. we also maintain and service mechanical equipment ranging from automatic doors to compressors and vehicle lifts.

We use sketch up at our workshop for work projects and also for DIY projects around the house.

We use sketch up to transfer site dimensions into fabrication drawings and also to produce 3D models which help show customers what the finished product will look like.

I guess I’m a beginner in the fact that I can produce what I need most of the time but for sure there are much easier and more practical ways and processes I should be using to reach the end result.

•Have you gone to a Sketch Up 3DBasecamp? No, I mostly get stuck and try to find a tutorial on YouTube, although sometimes its difficult to find the correct terminology

• What is your current set up? I am currently using a big ass monitor with windows 8.1 pro and sketch up 2019

hoping to start using Sketch up more often and improve my knowledge and skills to produce better drawings in less time.

I like old cars and new bikes.

:grimacing:

3 Likes

Hi,
I am a long time slogger in Sketchup, Started in 2008, and am currently locked into 2015 pro . ( I had ventured into more recent versions but immediately face backward compatibility issues with my existing and previous work).
My profession is innovation in sustainable energy sport and household. Also focus on sustainable energy in the developing nations.
I have ventured into Blender (even 2.8) and other 3d software but none compares to sketchup’s ease of entry. I consider myself a slogging intermediate level user. I have not attended a base camp but did a week long training in Sketchup in SFO.Am using a Mac running el Capitan OS 10.11.6 on an aging 21" iMac desktop graphics card, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB , with a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

3 Likes