Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi DHGoldfish!

thanks for the tip!, but where I find the “warehouse”? I have heard other references to it.

Hello Sketchup enablers.
I am Ed Heydrich from Miami, FL. (Can anyone animate a hurricane on a model?)
I’m an old trained architect that threw out my t-square when I became a Real Estate Broker selling South Florida development sites to others.
I am new to Sketchup (no CAD experience) and respectfully request insight and suggestions in the creative commercial use of Sketchup.
I did take a Sketchup Beginner’s class at a local college and immediately started to play with it and incorporate it into some sales flyers and zoning studies.
I am limited to a MacOS High Sierra Ver10.13.6 with Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB
Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB graphic capabilities… (whatever that means).
I clearly am not a tech, but a Youtube self-learner.
My favorite emoji :hammer_and_wrench: I enjoy building things.
I am a hiker and blue water sailer. I’ve improvised much in life…

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/

1 Like

Hi all,

My name is Marius. I am Undet software project manager.

We are developing plug-in to use point clouds directly in SketchUp. Undet for SketchUp is currently the only plug-in in the market, allowing you to use any size point clouds directly in SketchUp.

https://www.undet.com/ - more info about software

If anyone will have a question about working with point clouds in Sketchup feel free to ask :wink:

1 Like

Well, for openers, my name is Jim and I’m sorta, kinda a hobby woodworker. I’m retired US Navy and a retired long haul truck driver. My interest in Sketchup is presently limited as I recently had an introduction though a brief but quick show and tell, I didn’t get much out of what I saw. My ultimate plan is to use Sketchup to design and then build wooden projects to sell locally. As was once explained to me, “If you can’t draw it. you can’t build it.” for many years I’ve relied on my memory to construct my projects,.only problem, no two items are the same. Things are missing or added and there is no set of drawings to follow. I need to change all that so I have some sort of reference.

So, enter Sketchup, I downloaded the 3D try it before you buy it 30 day version, once I opened the program, I was lost.nothing made sense and I got really board, that’s when I started looking for tutorials. I looked at tutorials in YouTube, found a few (however, I needed to be more proficient), I found a few more out on the “web” and more difficult. When I first downloaded Sketchup, there was a short video associated with it, blah, blah, blah, end result was that as a newbe I should do all my modeling in 2D and it went on to explain how to set up the program in 2D. Great, all the tutorials I’ve been watching you start out in 3D. Peachy, I can’t remember how I got in the 2D and have no clue how to return to 3D.

I’ve not been to a “Skectchup 3D Basecamp” didn’t know one existed. As for my system on which I intend to use Sketxhup, I have an HP laptop, 6GB ram, 900+ GB hard drive with 5 TB external storage. If I didn’t know about the “3DBasecamp” I certainly didn’t know about the 3D Wharehouse or any of the tools contained therein.

As for Emoji, can’t stand 'em, therefore I don’t like 'em and don’t use 'em. Just something else to clutter up the screen. and take your mind off the task at hand.

1 Like

Welcome Timber. Thank you for your service!

You don’t have to “draw in 2d”. I mean, yes I might draw the ground plan as a start to the model but it doesn’t stay that way long. You can draw in “Perspective” setting under the “Camera” menu and if you draw a rectangle on the ground it is sort of "2d " until you push-pull it up into a box shape.

When you say you “got into 2d” I think maybe you have the camera set to a Plan view (under “Camera” --“Standard Views-Top” and “Parallel Projection” . Try switching between Perspective and Parallel Projection settings to see the difference. These are just ways of looking at the same model.Usually viewing, navigating, and working on the model is best in Perspective setting.

Try the fundamental videos. https://learn.sketchup.com/track/sketchup-fundamentals-part-1. Have fun!

1 Like

thank you very good

سایبان متحرک

1 Like

I am a retiree dabbling in my hobbies, woodworking and vintage sewing machines. I have used Sketchup to help plan some of my woodworking. Lately, I have turned to Sketchup to assist in producing 3D replacement plastic parts for vintage sewing machines, and this has take my Sketchup involvement to a new level. I’m looking to this forum for help in these projects

4 Likes

My name is Kyle Macht, I own Macht Architecture with my Dad. I have been using SketchUp since SketchUp 4, but this is the first time using this forum. I use SketchUp and Layout pretty much every day designing modern, custom, high-performance homes. I use Layout to produce the construction documents and have been doing something similar to Nick Sonders methods.

I look forward to using this forum to streamline my process and become more efficient in my work.

2 Likes

Nice stuff. I’ve gotten involved in the Connecticut chapter of Passive House, but haven’t taken the plunge for certification as yet. Do you use Sefaira at all for energy calculations?

This forum has been great. More than just a place to ask specific questions of your own, I’ve learned so much from other people’s questions and solutions.

2 Likes

Hello RTCool, I haven’t used Sefaira, mostly due to the initial cost. I tend to use BEopt for initial modeling then WUFI, but we are still in the beginning phases of doing our first certified project. I got certified 3 years ago, but we have done many with the ideals of PHIUS. Our firm was started by my Dad in 1990 with a focus on passive solar design, so you could say I am a second generation knowledge of building science. Passive House has evolved quite a bit since then and I spend a lot of time trying to stay on top of it.

I look forward to learning more and getting more involved.

2 Likes

What aspect of project do you want to discuss?

Welcome to the Community Forum.

I had a look at your website. Nice work. Intriguing pieces.

Considering your use of SketchUp for your business, you need to use either Sketchup Pro or SketchUp Shop. With Pro you get LayOut which I expect you’d find useful in a number of ways.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that, I appreciate the positive feedback. I’d be happy to consider getting Sketchup Pro, depending on the cost obviously. Do you know if it is available to pay it monthly, or do you have to buy it outright in one go?

Many thanks,

Colin.

1 Like

SketchUp Pro is available in two forms. Either an annual subscription or a Classic license. The latter is a perpetual license. Both get you SketchUp Pro and LayOut as well as some other stuff. And most importantly, they get the license to allow you to use SketchUp for your business.

1 Like

Who are you? Riccardo Massironi

What is your industry and profession? Theater, I’m a Set designer for Opera and Classic Ballet

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Professionally and personally for fun

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Snapping and logic of the program. I start using sketchup because is the best for layout project and give a greate feedback in term of view

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Advanced

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Never!

What is your current set up? I7 core, 970 nvida, 48gb RAM, Sketchup 2019

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?

Soon I will put my stuff here is the link: Capottolo | 3D Warehouse

Anything else you would like to tell us? I love play with lego

What is your favorite Emoji? :wink:

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? why not!

1 Like

Hi! I’m Nicole and I’m a special education teacher. I use SketchUp to teach modeling/design to my teenage students with autism. I’m a beginner at SketchUp and am learning along with my students.

2 Likes

Nicole. That sounds wonderful. I understand that this is an especially good tool for spectrum kids. Best of luck, and welcome!

Thanks so much! My students are often really skilled with programs like this.

2 Likes