Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Who are you?
I am Michiel, from Amsterdam

What is your industry and profession?
I’m a software designer / developer. In the specific case of SketchUp I’m working on a couple of plug-ins. In my teens I had ambitions to become an architect, but somehow the road we call life led in a different direction. I am very happy to work on these plugins though, as it is fun work, and takes me back a bit.

Where do you use SketchUp?
Professionally

How proficient are you in SketchUp?
Intermediate, moving towards advanced, but mostly on the API side.

What is your current set up?
Honebrew workstation running Windows 10 64Bit on a 10 core Xeon processor with 48GB ram, SSDs . in RAID 10 for speend and redundancy. Besides my SketchUp plugin development, I also do other development which sometimes requires a powerfull machine.

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
As a matter of fact I do :smile:. And other walks too. In the woods. Speeding up a bit into running is also great.

1 Like

bonjour, Cyril Utilisateur Sketchup et layout depuis le début, je profite des échange sur ce forum pour enrichir l’utilisation de cet outil.
Je suis principalement dans l’architecture et l’agencement.

1 Like

Hello, I am new here… Hope you all doing well

1 Like

Hey all, very happy to be here, I just started using SketchUp in order to design my new house and am very excited about learning it. The learn.sketchup campus is an amazing resource! :smiley:

1 Like

Howdy!

I have made architectural models back in India using Sketchup. Currently working at my own venture here in Los Angeles, thought might wanna re-learn a few things before jumping to real estate business here.

Looking forward to learn and grow in this community.

3 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Arno de Kort and I live in the Netherlands. I work as a process technician at a large chemical company.
As my hobby is to work with metal and wood, I like to draw my plans in Sketchup before actually making them. The computer I use for this is a late 2013 iMac.
Hope to learn from you all!

Arno

2 Likes

Hello all,

I added my profile to this forum some time back and can’t remember if I ever introduced myself. I’m a long time builder with Habitat for Humanity and an amateur furniture maker. I use SketchUp for both. I guess I’m somewhere between a novice and intermediate user. I’d like to get better a Sketchup so I can more easily do designs.

Ray

1 Like

I’m Steve, I’ve been using Sketchup since the Google days and I just love it. I work for an ATM support company and use Sketchup for both home and work. While I use Pro at work I use Make at home, mostly for woodworking projects. My skill level is intermediate.

1 Like

Hello all,

I’m Lloyd, a flight simmer and take it as a hobby since Fsx 2004, P3d and X-plane, I’ve always loved flying since as a young boy. Currently, I’m working in the rail industry as an engineer but spend my spare time flying planes on my Pc. I’m a beginner and like designing scenery airports and have discovered with sketchup powerful software the impossible can be made possible. I’m happy to join and be part of this amazing community and hopefully, with everyone’s input, I’m sure I’ll learn a lot quicker.

Cheers!!!

2 Likes

Hello,

I am an architect that is just getting into Chief Architect I am looking for 3-d people to put in my orbiting perspective views.

do you have any or can you lead

1 Like

There are actually quite a lot in the warehouse. I try not to use files bigger than 1 MB, as is really slows down the 3D views in Home Architect. So just go to the warehouse, search 3D people, and move the file size slider way down. Also remember that the 2D people are like CA/HA’s images, they always face the camera. And the files are smaller. Hope this helps!

Deb

1 Like

Hi, I am student of interior design. Totally beginner. I am not new in using CAD software: I am very familiar with Catia V5.
Reason for this post is to ask why I cannot import pdf file. I have trial version(subscription). I cannot ask technical support because I did not purchase software. So if someone knows…

1 Like

Hello,

I am an new user. I have used sketchup in the past as far back as 2011. I tried opening an old sketch I had with not luck. Does anyone have insight here?

Joe

1 Like

New to it. Overwhelmed. My screen doesn’t look like the one in the tutorials. I don’t have a menu bar.
Trying to use the web version. Does that look different?
Looking for a “Getting Started” which is correct. Missing??.

Not even sure how/where to ask for help. This is probably in the wrong place.

1 Like

Hi mi name is Ricardo, I’m an architect from Barranquilla, Colombia.
I use a lot sketchup for my work, and sometimes I get to model things on my free time, I’m really passionate about it!
I think I have reached a high level of 3d modeling since I use the platform to create, visualize and even make documentation about the models, so I consider myself very advanced.
I’ve never been in a 3DBasecamp however I tried in 2017 with the playhouse competition created by bob borson on the website life of an architect, I was a finalist with my mosterland project, even though I did not win first place and the opportunity to be at the 3DBC, I felt very happy for the accomplishment.

This year I started to get more envolved with SketchUp so I started to do everything I could do, I started to share some models on my 3dwarehouse profile wich I will share here, I created an instagram page about a brand to post projects made by me using sketchup, and also I would like at some point get an official certification from Sketchup.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/user/u75f5a583-22fe-45af-89dd-6408c03d2cea/RicardoCuevas?nav=models

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :slight_smile::

Hello,
I’m Michael. I’m using sketchup mainly for modelling buildings. My latest works are modelling buildings from an areal image. Models are mainly used for solar panel installation design and visualization. Match photo feature of sketchup becomes very handy for this. I Joined the forum to learn more tricks and also share my knowledge and provide value to the community. :). I’m using SU pro 15, and a laptop as my work station.

1 Like

Hello,

I’m a retired mechanical engineer who went through college with a slide rule - yeah, I’m that old. I spend my time now restoring cars and building furniture. Since retiring I no longer have access to Auto CAD so I’m learning SketchUp Make 2017. I’ll use it primarily for furniture projects and small buildings. I’ve never modeled in 3D until now. Quite different than “slinging lead” on a drafting board. Looking forward to picking the brains of all the “kids” here that actually know what they’re doing.

3 Likes

Hi there,

My name is Colin and I’m a furniture designer/maker based in sunny Glasgow, Scotland. I’ve used SketchUp for about ten years, I’m not mad keen on the free web version but it is very good for a free service to be fair. Look forward to discussing various aspects of projects etc on here.

1 Like

Me? Name is Bill Elliott
Profession, Retired Graphics design and Video Design. No, I am not taking anymore work. Pleasure only.
Sketchup, I’m using the Pro ver. to design a new deck.
I am a BEGINNER! Looking forward to learning how to use it.
Nope, no bootcamp.
Desktop, SKUP ver. 2019
Very happy to be here! Looking forward to getting up to speed with Sketchup Pro :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

My name is Quetzal.
I do architectural design and building permit services.
I’ve been using Auto CAD for about 19 years but starting to work with Chief Architect Premier 11.
I have been looking for files to to import beyond CA libraries.
Specifically, people files.
The tech at CA suggested contacting SketchUp folks, so I’m looking for People Drawings :>)

1 Like