Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi there all, look forward to speaking to you all

Hi there, I’m new here. I’ve been using SU for years, yesterday I upgraded from 2016 pro to 2019 pro and my models will not load correctly, they open but the screen where the model should be is black, if I do a print preview it’s there fine. Any ideas what’s wrong?

Welcome to the SU forum - could be a GPU issue.

Best to start a new post in the SU technical category.

Thanks Guys. I’m currently training myself using SketchUp from the Manuals.

Hi
I am Malachy from Nigeria, an interior designer with a vision to go into woodworking ventures. have a little knowledge of sketch up. Here to develop and widen my knowledge base on the software. I am happy to be here.

All - Just an old dog learning new tricks so I can retain capability to reside in Silicon Valley.
Zzz

1 Like

Hi, I’m a homeowner and DIY enthusiast who bought an old house in France. I mostly use Sketchup to design modifications I intend to make on my house, and am currently using it to prepare an application for a building permit for a few “minor” projects (roof over doorstoop, pergola in the garden).

I’m strictly amateur but have made significant inroads recently since I disovered how to make and modify components. Basic stuff, but it makes all the difference. I’m still a “biginner” as compared with other projects I see people doing, but I’m getting faster.

I’m also trying to figure out how to do photomatch for my building permit application, and that is possibly the biggest challenge I’m currently experiencing in terms of Sketchup technique.

My immediate concern is rather one of SKetchup running on my computers, both of which are a bit old, and I experience similar problems on both computers, so it’s hard to tell what is a hardware problem and what is a faux-pas in my workflow. .

But I’ll go to a specialized forum page to adress these matters.

Appreciate all help and support I can get.

TOM

I have been using Sketchup for several years. My previous free client doesn’t work now, I’m still getting used to the web based version. I have lots of questions.

1 Like

Hi, I’m a general contractor / project manager in the Midwest. I started my career in 1991 building custom homes in California. After about 10 years I moved on to building recycling plants and cell sites. In both of those fields I was heavily involved in the design process and taught myself how to use AutoCad. During that time I ended up getting ownership in a civil engineering company and did that for most of the early 2000’s, then in 2010 I moved to the Midwest and took a job as a physical plant director for a small liberal arts college. I had just received my LEED accreditation and put it to use right away on a design build of a new science building that ended up getting LEED Silver certified. I left the college in 2014 and have been doing my own little design build projects and just recently dumped AutoCad and have been getting up to speed with Sketchup. My first project was a model for concert hall for an orchestra that also am the stage manager for. Right now I’m enjoying 3D so much I’m leaning towards doing this full time if I can find a way to make a living at it.

Looking forward to being a part of the community,
Rob

4 Likes

Good Morning Y’all!

I’m the same person as @sjdorst, so I’m not going to bother with all the questions. I created this alternate identity because I’m about to start using SketchUp at work under a separate license and different hardware. So I thought to create a second login which I’ll be using ONLY if I encounter any hardware issues or issues with my work SketchUp Pro licensing. Otherwise, I’ll be using my other identity: @sjdorst.

3 Likes

Hi Alan from South Africa. Brand new user. Primarily wood work and designing a canopy for my Land Cruiser. I will grow into waterproofing details as I need them.
Look forward to becoming proficient in time.

3 Likes

HI there, this is Oscar from London. I’m studying interior design and I’m really enjoying working with SketchUp. I use if for my studies and hopefully for work in the near future. I’m a graphic designer so I’m struggling a bit switching between InDEsign and Illustrator and SketchUp and AutoCAD but I’m getting there. I’m very new so hopefully my questions are not too dumb.
Best,
Oscar

2 Likes

Kia ora
I am Mark from New Zealand. I am a set designer and artist. I use Sketchup pro for all my projects. I also teach3 D design at under and post grad level. I want to be able to use Sketch up to its fullest capability. I have been using Sketchup for 10 years. all self taught. I have lots of questions as well.

nga mihi

Mark

4 Likes

Hi, I am a retired Scot living in France where I worked as a C, MBasic, Delphi / database programmer for 30 years or so.
I’ve been using Sketchup for maybe 10 years, mostly for detailed woodworking plans. (bookshelf units, TV console, grandchildrens’ garden den, etc.). I’m now on version 2017.

1 Like

This is Me

HELP! I have been a user in the past but have not used this in 2 years or more. Now I want to draw a residence and was redirected to this web based program. I can’t even figure out how to move the page on the screen! There used to be a 'hand" icon that would move it around. I can zoom in and out but I can’t seem to figure out how to simply move the page on my screen. I’m using a brand new MacBook Pro. I’m obviously missing something simple here.
thanks

Spend some time looking at the tool bars.

Instead of using the toolbar icons for navigation, it would be easier if you use an inexpensive 3-button mouse with a center mouse button/wheel. The center button activates Orbit, Shift and the center button activate Pan (the hand).

1 Like

I must have looked at that 5 times and didn’t catch it. Thank you. I knew I was missing something. Maybe brain cells. :blush:

I am a renewed user to SU and have a lot to learn. I live in Alaska. My hope is to use SU for modeling. Have several things on my mind but first need to master SU to hopefully an intermediate range. At this time I am having a terrible time creating and keeping an entity as a Solid. WJM

Welcome.

If you would like help with keeping your entity solid, go ahead and start a new thread. Upload the SKP file so we can see what you’ve got and describe what the exact issue is. Please complete your profile with SketchUp version and license type. That helps us help you.

2 Likes