Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

I’ve been trying to throw the AutoCad monkey off of my back for years but I still haven’t found its full on replacement yet. I love the SU 3D modeling environment but Layout is still not quite there for me, even though I wish it was. I do my 3D work in SU and then usually end up putting together my final construction (structural plans) docs (2D only) in AutoCad. I know, not exactly the perfect workflow, its a little broken but it works for now. I am really hoping that SU and Trimble put some more energy into Layout. I would like to see SketchUp eventually become the premier architectural software that it is destined to be.

I don’t think I’ve actually formally introduced myself on the forum even though I’ve spent way too much time here the past 3-1/2 years.

I was an practicing structural engineer in the State of Washington and I suppose I am still am but since about March 2018 I have become a full time SketchUp extension developer. It’s funny where life takes you some times

3 Likes

gosh ! Sara Are you a interior designer? but me too and i working in China and i very curious how to do designs works in New York and i hope to know interior designer from all around the world then we can learn something and improve together would you contact me i hope to see your products

hello Linsay nice to meet you

Hello Dimitri i wish to know designer how to designing and I’m a new sketch up learner would you help me ?

Hi all !!!

I’m Pascal from Montréal, Québec, Canada. First of all, i want to let you know that i’m a french speaking person. So dont pay too much attention to my english writing… I guess you would have figure it out anyway…

I’m a technical director working in the showbizz area. even tough there is plenty of specialize
software to do that, I’m using Sketchup to draw my lightning plans. I also use it to draw the constructions plans of the set design. Needle wire, i started making venues technical specifications and plans.

My main setup is on PC. Using 2 x 24 inches + 1 x 32 inches 4k monitors
On the road i’m on Macbook PRO 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7

OK ! Can’t wait to go explore my new community !

I use Sketchup for private use only
My purpuse of using Schetchup is to make models of my own house and make desigs in order to improve my house.
I am an unexperienced beginner
I have not gone to a Sketchup 3dbasecamp
I have sketchup 2019 installed on my Surface book computer
My main purpose is to learn the basic of Sketchup så I can startworking on my private Projects. I hope to reach a level that makes me confident to publice some of my work on this page.

1 Like

Hi I am Billiam.
I want to become proficient at SketchUp to make woodworking plans. I have always liked to make engineering drawings.

Billiam

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I am Simon. I live in France and I work as a freelance designer.
I have been using SketchUp since for almost 10 years now. I use it mostly for furniture and interior modeling.

1 Like

Who are you? Ed from Columbus, Ohio, USA.

What is your industry and profession? Retired from US Air Force. I was in for 23 years. Retired from second career: Programmer for AEP, Ohio. Now working 3rd career for an engineering firm.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally, as a newbie. Trying to learn the darned thing.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Best thing about it is it’s from for us old guys just learning!

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Rank beginner.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No.

What is your current set up? I am using it on a variety of computers, all Windows based.

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Nope.

Anything else you would like to tell us? Former pilot (fixed-wing, helicopter and gyroplane).

What is your favorite Emoji? Don’t have one.

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Hahaha, if I had acess to a beach, I would say yes.

2 Likes

Hello, my name is John. I joined the sketchUp community to help my wife. She’s currently using virtual architect and preparing to switch to SketchUp. She primarily helps people with home remodels, interior decorating and some exterior decorating plus landscaping. I was originally trained as a draftsman (board) then CAD. So I am working on a laptop for her. Currently looking at a Lenovo yoga 15 or Thinkpad P52. The P52 has a NVIDIA Quadro P5000 GPU and the Yoga is a GTX 1050. I know the Quadro is a better GPU, but not sure if needed. Also looking at some ASUS Zenbook 15’s. I’m primarily looking at Intel Core i7 8th Gen but not ending in H so the battery life is longer. SSD PCIe memory of at least 256 but prefer 512, no spinning hard drive. The last piece I am researching is if 4k resolution is worth it or if FHD is sufficient. Some day, we’ll add an external monitor, but for now, most work will be done on laptop.

2 Likes

For the money and the OpenGL support, the GTX1050 would be the better choice.

DaveR, Thank you, although a bit surprised. Any thoughts on the 4k UHD vs standard FHD for monitor? Roughly $190 to upgrade to 4k on the display/

It seems like a lot of people are getting on with the 4K displays but I haven’t bothered to go that route yet. I think SketchUp 2019 works quite well with it.

1 Like

Who are you?
My name is David
What is your Industry or Profession?
Formerly in Electronics, Electronic Instrumentation and Semiconductors. Now retired.
Where do you use Sketchup? Personally/Professionally
Personally at Home
Why do you use Sketchup…
I do woodwork (make a lot of sawdust) and am renovating many aspects of my home that was built in 1978. My favorite thing about Sketchup is it will allow me to create a model of what I want to make and dimension it so that I make fewer mistakes when buying materials and constructing the end product.
How proficient are you in Sketchup?
To say I’m a beginner would be presenting myself at a higher level of competence than I am qualified.
Have you gone to a 3D Basecamp?
No.
Items perhaps of interest are that I used the free version for a while to do a design for a pair of “Tudor Style” Garage doors. these turned out to be a great success. Next I designed and built a bookcase in red oak for my grandson who was going to University. Since I spent time during an apprenticeship around 1956 in a drawing Office I discovered those skills were not transferable to Sketchup, in fact they were a tremendous hindrance. Soon learned to “think out of the box”! have also designed and built a vertical and a horizontal router table quite successfully and also a mobile storage/stand for the horizontal router table. Made innumerable mistakes and so I am still learning the very basics.

4 Likes

My name is Jeff, I am a beginner and am trying to learn. I use SketchUp for personal use. I use PC’s at work and at home. I am plan on using SketchUp for designing ideas I have in metalwork. I am in Maintenance.

2 Likes

Greetings, my name is Jim and I’ve been a Pro user for a couple of years now. I utilize SU at work and at home. For work, I’ve integrated company designs into SU, rendering in VRay for catalog and technical brochures, as well as conceptual designs for new equipment. For home, it’s purely hobby, honing my skills when I can and having fun doing it. At this point, I’d consider myself an intermediate level user, trying to break out into the usage of Ruby, quite possibly creating some automated scripts for work, but for now, it’s all design.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Eugene Thibodeaux. I’ve been a long time user! Do I have to buy future SketchUp’s?

No. You can use the version you have.

There are a number of version options currently available if you want to upgrade. Since your profile isn’t complete, it’s impossible to tell what you would be upgrading from.

I’m upgrading from a version 2019.

That’s the current pro version so at this point there’s nothing to upgrade to.

If you’ve purchased the license for 2019, you’re all set.