Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Все привет!
Я новичок с огромным желанием освоить SketchUp на профессиональном уровне.

Greetings. I am Marimo Dan (MDan) for short. I am a licensed Architect in the U.S. I do consulting work as a designer. I have been using SketchUp for a little over ten years now. I mainly used this software to construct digital study models as a design aid tool initially. In recent years I’ve been using SketchUp more as a base software to develop presentation material.

I am always looking to learn new tricks and tips as it relates to this wonderful software.

Samples of my work: http://www.marimodan.com/gallery-2/

Hello, I’m Clark, Username Openhand, and I’m a Sketchup dummy and taking my second run at mastering the program with Sketchup Make(V7.3.116). I use a Mac mini and will soon get a second screen so I can follow the tutorials more easily. If I get good enough at sketchup I will purchase the Pro version. I am a work alone carpenter and this would be a great asset for showing customers projects. Thanks for offering the free version while I find my way around. I’m going thru the intro tutorials from the Sketchup site to gain mastery, and it’s going slow but steady. I’m determined to take the time this winter go get over the hump with Sketchup so it feels organic to design carpentry projects. That’s my goal for the next couple of months. If anyone has suggestions about what I can do to achieve my goal this please chime in! Thanks again!

• Who are you? - Salut. I’m Robert :smile:
  • What is your industry and profession? - I’m a furniture designer and interior designer
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? - Both
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? - Because is easy and proffessional, both in the same time
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp?- intermediate to advanced :smiley:
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? - Sadly, no…
  • What is your current set up? - Lenovo Ideapad 510 8GB RAM, I7, Nvidia 4GB
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? - Yes, I do. my website for furniture and interior designs www.robertniculescu.com and 3dwarehouse https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/by/RobertNiculescuDesigns
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? - I’m from Rumania, and I love sketchup since I discover it in the senior year in high school, 2010.
  • What is your favorite Emoji? - :smiley:
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? - OMG, I’ll would love to live by the beach, to a terrace, on a table designed by me, and work in skectchup :sunny:

This is Majid
Majid Yeganegi, rather and old user, from Sketchup v.6 era till the moment.
My early attempts to realistic renders were using Kerkythea aka as KT and it was start of a looong loong story
finding too many syber friends
sharing so many experiences
suffering and enjoying with my syber family…
Then I migrated to Twillight render, V-ray, and Thea render.
Then also tried and skilled at 3Ds Max, Blender3D, Revit and Rhino3d…
I do like painting and do it seriously or as a hobby.
Still trying to find my way…
Being on my 40s am going to be more conservative

• Who are you?
    I am Donald “Donney” Clark. I live and work in southwest Missouri.

• What is your industry and profession?
    I work for a construction company that does both commercial and residential. I work as a design technician (previously a cad/drafting technician with a different company in a different industry using different design/drafting software).

• Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
    Professionally!

• Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…)
    Because the company I work for uses it. SketchUp does quite a bit for the money, good ROI.

• How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
    Two-year user, so I guess I am a beginner.

• Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
    No, but I would like to.

• What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and SketchUp 2018. However, I’m hoping to upgrade my computer and to SU version 2019 at some point.

• Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
    No.

• Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
    No.

• What is your favorite Emoji?
    :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...?
    Yes.

Hi, my name is Kenan (it sounds like Conan, but “a” instead of “o” ). I am from Turkiye (Turkey). I use sketchup for eight years as hobby, somethimes i work with architects on architectural works as freelancer.
I have a 3d warehouse page as kenancakir.
I use vray for rendering.
I have a sketchup group on facebook, Sketchup Cafe.
I have a youtube page on sketchup tutorials, by my name, Kenan Çakır.
Thank you…

Most of this was typed involuntarily… And by accident. :recycle:

I have posted a few times on the forum but I never formally introduced myself so here it goes:

• Who are you? Andy Melaragno
  • What is your industry and profession? Residential Design (Architecture) / Chief cook and bottle washer at my own one-person design firm.
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Professionally
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Currently I use SketchUp for massing models while designing. I currently use 2D AutoCad for design and construction drawings. I have hit a wall with AutoCad and I have been trying to leave it for years. 2019 is the year it finally happens…I hope.
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Ive been using it for 10 year so I’m not a beginner, nor am I a master.
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No but it is on my bucket list…hopefully 2020
  • What is your current set up? Windows 10 with SketchUp Pro 2018.
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? I have no models published.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? I need a lot of encouragement to get the AutoCad monkey off my back. I know I will probably never be able to be 100% AutoCad free but I would like to have SketchUp be my main design and construction drawing tool. Feel free to throw any advice my way on what plugins etc. to use.
  • What is your favorite Emoji? :ok_hand:
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? Yes, but I also like sitting in a chair on the beach with a cooler.

Hi everybody!
My name is Mario, I’m a owner of a small tourist agency here in Croatia. I used to work something in AutoCAD, but nothing professionally, and now I’m exploring SketchUp. As it is similar, yet quite different than AutoCAD, I’m struggling a lot to make some progress, but, since I need to draw some sketches of my apartment this is about to be built, I don’t plan to give up so easily. :smiley:
Anyway, I appreciate your help and I do hope I’ll be able to contribute in some way after I get some experince.

My name is Joe :slight_smile: I’m an armature user of Sketchup :slight_smile: I really just use it to make custom buildings for my game in SimCity 4 :slight_smile:

Greetings,
I’m an old school paper and pencil doodler who loves to design passive solar structures but who now is getting into real design work for net zero greenhouses. My market includes self regulating greenhouse designs for high value and pharmaceutical cultivation in the northeast. While I leave the serious design work to engineering sub-contractors I need to be able to put together reasonably accurate designs when working with clients.
What I like about sketchup is its intuitive interface and the deep and vibrant user community! I have not yet availed myself to 3DBasecamp yet but I know that will be a good starting point. I know how frustrating Noobies can be.
I no longer have a lake house and, for sure, don’t want a ferrari so I’ll skip that part. What I do have is the trial version of pro 2017. This will change as I add more office equipment so my current HP laptop WILL get replaced but one thing I’ve learned to love is solid state drives!
I don’t have the website fully developed yet so nothing to share yet.
Not a big emoji fan so please go easy with that stuff.
Beyond that I love to sail big boats, do winter mountaineering and ride powerful motorcycles when I am able.
I look forward to learning more.

Hi, I’m a very old retired engineer finally getting to play with my woodworking tools. Although I used to be familiar with AutoCad and SolidWorks, that was a long time ago and my memory is rusty so I’m a newbie at SketchUp. Once I get the hang of it, it will hopefully keep stupid errors to a minimum. Drawing component pieces in detail (particularly the joinery) should let me identify and correct some mistakes before cutting wood. I’m not making involved pieces, just little things that my daughter uses around her house, but I make it challenging by trying new (to me) joinery techniques.

I’ve watched the beginner tutorials and some others on YouTube. My computer runs Win7 and I’m using SketchUp make 2017. Fred

Welcome Fred. I think you’ll find SketchUp is excellent for furniture design and working out the details before you commit to cutting up the expensive wood. I certainly do. If you’re bored and want to see a few examples, this shows some of my work.

DaveR, those are great drawings. The tap wrench is so pretty that if I had it, I wouldn’t use it for fear of marring it. Did you build the torsion box? Thanks for the look. Fred

Thanks Fred. The wrench probably needs a bit of scuffing up. :wink: I didn’t build the torsion box. I used it to show another woodworker and SketchUp user how to create the cutaway.

Hello from Bonnie Scotland (Falkirk to be preise)
I am old school gitting nearly 60, love computers having previously built and repaired PC’s.
I am a total nood to the world of 3d sketch, the only reason I found my way here is, I wanted to build somethinfg in wood from scratch and wanted detailed plans…

I look forward to reading and learning with you all.

Piles out

I’m trying to build an animatronic head for a robot i’m working on, and I got this sketchup model form the 3D warehouse (As I am a BEGINNER in sketchup and can’t build something that complex) and I want to prepare it for 3D printing. I want to divide the head into several pieces (The face plate, the top of the head, and the base of the head) so I have access into the hollow head where I would then insert the electronics.
I was wondering if someone could show me how to split the head.
Thanks in advance.

Here’s the file:
Solid Head 2.0.skp (636.5 KB)

open the group for editing and turn on “hidden geometry” then select the parts that you want to be in a particular group, when you have those selected - group them. continue on the rest of the head making groups of the parts. Once you have that done, you will need to give the parts thickness so they can be printed- not sure if SU for schools can run extensions, but Fredo has a plugin for this - "joint push pull.

Other wise you could copy the face part of each group and shrink it a little and move back and manually fill in the edges. There’s also a plugin “solid inspector” that can verify if the resulting parts are “solid” and able to be 3D printed.

head%20part

Once you have your parts you can check how they might move about certain points and then consider other parts that might need to be removed/modified so that they wont bump into each other…mouth