Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s helpful - I think I get it now. :smiley:

1 Like
  • Who are you? I am Governor Kim
  • What is your industry and profession? Still just a student- studying BFA Visual Communication
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I use it personally, I just love modeling with sketchup
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I like it because its easy to use- and its fun to watch house plans, developments or simply small toys in my mind become 3d reality.
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Intermediate?? I really don’t know.
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Nope. too far and plane ticket’s are too expensive.
  • What is your current set up? Dell Inspiron 5000- Inteli7, AMD Radeon Crimson 16G, SketchUp version 14
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? MOROI ART | 3D Warehouse , my 3d Warehouse site.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? I try not to but when I go to open spaces or undeveloped places I see buildings and parks layed out by my imagination. They just erect themselves there and grass and plants and trees just grow. I can’t help but try to model them in sketchup as detailed as in my imagination :smiley:
  • What is your favorite Emoji? :sunglasses:
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? Yes, I enjoy walks in beaches, I take rocks for my aquariums there :smiley:
1 Like

Hi Guys! My name is Wil a Marketing Officer, will try this site for my projects :slight_smile:

1 Like

Who are you? I’m Hugh. I’m 6’7", hence the nickname
What is your industry and profession? Architecture Construction Tech
Where do you use SketchUp? Professional
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Been 3d modelling since 1988
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Advanced
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No
What is your current set up? Imac 27 running bootcamp. S1000RR
Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Not at the mo, sorry.
Anything else you would like to tell us? Love the VR feature on iPad sketchup viewer
What is your favorite Emoji? 
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? I live in Brighton. Pebble beach hurts bare feet.

1 Like

Hello, I live in Italy and Use SketchUp Make 2017 for passion, love design and build sci-fi models from the 80s onwards. Thanks for your support!

1 Like

Who am I:

Tyson Gersh

Industry and profession
Non-profit Community Development.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Everywhere.

To model and then 3D print the single family historical architecture of the neighborhood I live in for the neighborhood association’s resident-driven master plan, to visualize the 3-acre mixed-use campus the non-profit I run is on, to map out our farm plan (including crop spacing, irrigation layouts, etc) for each year, to work out the logistics of remodeling the house I just purchased and need to rehab, etc. Basically anytime I need to better understand how something fits in a space, or how it relates to another thing.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
It’s like having a super power. The platform itself is so intuitive. It empowers any individual to creatively manipulate the physical world around them. The ability to bring an idea in your head into rendered fruition is a very powerful tool in communicating/selling that idea and getting the buy-in from others needed to bring that idea to the real world. The process of building something from the real world in SketchUp also helps you better understand it. I’ve learned so much about architecture from modeling existing structures.

I also really love how helpful the online community is. In many ways I think that’s the most important resource of the platform. I rarely run into the learning brick walls that have caused me to give up on programs (at worst entire projects) because I couldn’t overcome a learning obstacle. For the Self-taught, DIY community, SketchUp has really created something special.

How proficient are you in SketchUp?
Intermediate, with the ambition to become a master.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
I wish. Tickets are very expensive.

What is your current set up?
18%20PM 26%20PM IMG_7643

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?

https://sketchfab.com/TysonGersh

Anything else you would like to tell us?
I would love to see SketchUp and Trimble team up around some 3D scanning technology (especially for terrain, building exteriors, and interiors). There’s a disconnect that needs bridging in terms of public accessibility for highly accurate real world environmental data.

I would also love to see SketchUp offer better in-house interactive rendering processing features (similar to SketchFab’s 3D properties features).
What is your favorite Emoji?
:sob:
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...?
Dunno, never really taken one

4 Likes

I’m Christopher F. Caponigro,AIA

I’m an Architect licensed in Colorado USA, working in South Carolina.

I use Sketchup and Layout in my Home Office everyday to complete Residential Design Projects.

I use Sketchup because after 30 years of using mainstream CADD programs I find it liberating.

I’ve never been to Base Camp but I would like to!

I think I’m an intermediate user but my knowledge in my chosen field is advanced.

I mainly work on my BOXX Laptop Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 4.00GHz, 32 GB RAM, WINDOWS 64bit, NVDIA Quadpro M3000M, And the absolute must have Spacemouse.

I’ve only put a few simple models on the 3D Warehouse none of my serious work. my website cfcaia.com has some of my projects on it. It also has a link to my Facebook Page.

I almost never use Emojis.:wine_glass:

I love using Sketchup and almost love Layout. I’m very interested in the Collaberation and Commercial section. I’d really like to get some work for compensation designing and documenting Residential Projects specifically using sketchup. I’ve developed my own system and workflow and it continues to evolve. This forum and the Sketchucation forum have been indispensable tools in my pursuit of completing projects without the use of CADD.

5 Likes

I’ve been trying to follow your advice, but I have a new problem. I created some group objects [windows] and assigned them to a window layer, but they disappear unless I have the windows layer and one other layer [doors] visible. So if I turn off visibility for the doors layer, the windows disappear. Any suggestions on where i’ve gone wrong [and how to fix?] appreciated.

1 Like
  • Who are you? ( show us those pearly whites :smiley: — to start, just one photo if you please ) My name is Spencer
  • What is your industry and profession?
    I sell Gym Equipment
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
    I use Sketchup primarily for small home projects
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…) I enjoy the free aspects of it as opposed to Solidworks or Autodesk
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Intermediate
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? I have not.
  • What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) I currently run it off my desktop with dual monitors.
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? I do not. I tinker with other people’s uploads
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? Nothing really. I’m just hoping to answer a few questions here about SKetchup
  • What is your favorite Emoji? Obviously the winky face
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? Depends on how hot the sand is
1 Like

I’m a beginner using the free version. I’m an amateur builder of things at my farm, and I’m currently trying to design two separate projects: a pole barn and a 32’ bridge. I’m having trouble getting my drawings to print. I go into the Chrome print command and nothing shows up in the preview. I was able to print on some projects I worked on several months ago, but now nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hola, me llamo Uxio Pichel y estoy muy perdido con este tema, soy un entusiasta de Sketchup, lo domino muy poco y tengo algunos problemas, lo uso como aficionado.
Estaba buscando ayuda porque necesitaba exportar un dibujo de una pieza que tiene que ser cortada con un ploter de corte laser y no se como hacerlo.
Bueno Saludos a todos
Uxio

1 Like

Hello!
My name is AKPOMIEMIEM J.B.AKPAHWE,Aresident at southern region of the federal republic of NIGERIA.

2 Likes

What language is this? I tried to paste it into a translator and got nowhere.

1 Like

Chrome is awesome.

Blockquote

Hello, my name is Uxio Pichel and I am very lost with this topic, I am a Sketchup enthusiast, I master it very little and I have some problems, I use it as an amateur.
I was looking for help because I needed to export a drawing of a piece that has to be cut with a laser cutter and I do not know how to do it.
Well Greetings to all
Uxio

1 Like

Soooo Are you saying Chrome translates?

1 Like

Oh yes its very handy. right click menu >translate to english.

2 Likes

I’m Eric Anderson, AIA and live in Atlanta. I retired from large-firm practice in 2014 having managed teams of architects using SketchUp, Revit and other 3D software, but I never worked in CAD or BIM software myself while in practice. I started learning how to use SketchUp 4 years ago to model small residential renovation and addition projects and to use LayOut to produce construction drawings. I have gradually progressed to an intermediate level.

I have been following Nick Sonder’s and Matt Donley’s workflow process in developing models and construction documents. I haven’t been to 3D Basecamp, but I look forward to doing so next.

I am very impressed with some of the current postings of other architects on the forum, both the quality of design and the skill in using SketchUp and LayOut to produce their work. I look forward to learning from other forum members and sharing some of my work.

2 Likes

Hola Ccaponigro, el idioma es español, no se por que no te lo traduce el traductor?.
Como puedo hacer en Sketchup para exportar un archivo para ser dibujado por un ploter de corte por laser.

Es decir yo quiero cortar una pieza que tengo dibujado en Sketchup y quiero exportar la cara superior para que el ploter la dibuje y no se como hacerlo, me podrias ayudar?

Gracias.

Saludos

Uxio Pichel

1 Like