Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Who are you? Dave
What is your industry and profession? Teacher of D&T to Secondary students11-18 years old in UK
Where do you use SketchUp? Professionally
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? As a teacher of D&T, it communicates with my 3D printer and 2D laser cutter, with some CorelDraw8 input.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Intermediate
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Don’t have these in UK, just the constant emails advertising them.
What is your current set up? Win 10 , SU 2018 pro
Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Don’t have anything yet.
Anything else you would like to tell us? I’d like to be able to change colours to work with my laser cutter directly from SU.

Nice to meet you all… (in my best southern voice with a London accent :slight_smile: )

Changing Edge colour

Who are you, who, who? Dan Norris

What is your industry and profession? I work in Interior CGI producing visualisations for interior designers, joiners and architects. Mainly so they can present ideas and designs to there customers

Where do you use SketchUp? I’ve used SketchUp personally since the early releases and have started using it professionally in the past 3 years

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favourite thing about it? I’ve used tons of other modelling software but nothing compares to SketchUp for ease of use and ability to quickly get down ideas and designs. There’s a great deal of freedom in the way that you can work in SketchUp that simply isn’t possible in other programs, which are often rigid in their workflow. I use SketchUp mainly for the speed of modelling but also the vast array of plugins that can really bring the functionality, in most cases, up to that of the industry heavyweights. The pro version is also reasonably priced compared to other pro modelling software. Layout is also a must have for me!

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Advanced

What is your current set up? Desktop PC, 32GB RAM, Intel CORE i7 Skylake, Nvidia GTX1080 and GTX980ti, SketchUp Pro 2016 & 2018.

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? https://dndrawings.com/projects/ is my project portfolio. All my renders are done by exporting SketchUp models out to Blender 3D here’s an example:

Anything else you would like to tell us? SketchUp is an awesome piece of software with a great community. In the future, I would love to see some parametric modelling included in the core functionality (outside of dynamic components) that’s something that many of the other main players in the industry have and it’s a great way to model when you need some real accuracy. Also a timeline feature, to go back and edit actions which can then propagate forwards i.e. after performing a FollowMe/Push/Pull from a profile, having the ability to go back and edit the original profile, which will then update the FollowMe/Push/Pull, without having to re-do the whole process, would be a game changer.

Use Profile builder2…

http://profilebuilder4sketchup.com/

Hi, my name is Gabriel, life in Guayaquil-Ecuador
Greetings to all.
I’ve been learning to draw on my own.
I have done work independently. The reason for my entry into the group was to learn more about the sketchup community. The most detailed use of the program. as I also want to be part of the authorized sketchup trainers later on.

• Name:
    Enis Huskanovic (Sweden, Linköping)

• Profession:
    Studying design and product development

• Where do you use SketchUp?
    Started to use it personally since 2013 and learned the most by myself

• Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
    Using it because of simplicity which is also my favorite thing about it

• How proficient are you in SketchUp?
    Intermediate

• Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
    No, but I wish!

• What is you current set up?
    Intel i3-4150, Intel HD 4400, 8GB, SketchUp Pro 2018.

• 3D Warehouse:
    https://goo.gl/vPRn6s

• Favorite Emoji:
    :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

• Do you enjoy long walks on the beach?
    No, I’ll rather stay inside and model in SketchUp.

Hi,
My name is Eberhard Höll, a retired professor in sculpture, living outside Stockholm Sweden. I recently built a 3D printer and a small CNC mill. In order to get those machines going as soon as possible I started using SketchUp Pro. I find it it quite good, but there is a very annoying feature: as soon I want to alter measurements in the small box at the lower right corner I seldom get a proper result.
Any suggestions?

Altering Dimensions

Post a help topic in the main forum and I am sure you will get it sorted asap, I can take a look this weekend.

Thank you, but I found my mistake, it was , as a separator instead for ;

Hi. My name is Doug Cunningham. I am a carpenter/contractor and use SketchUp to design projects. I am an occasional user, over quite a few years but consider myself a beginner. I am using a recently constructed system with i5-6600K processor and integrated graphics, 16 GB of ram, running SketchUp Pro 2018 on Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Hi,

I’m Tom Ingall. I’m a woodworker/carpenter/joiner/timber framer/builder. I’ve only just started using SU 8 on a MAC and am loving the design potentials! I just posted for the first time due to an issue I have with using the followme tool across multiple components so any help with this would be gratefully received!

Hi, My name is Jack.
I am an art director and production designer for film and video production. I have been using SketchUp for a number of years on an occasional basis. It has been helpful to me for presenting design ideas or creating construction drawings for sets or props. the free versions have suited me fine for the work I do and the frequency that I need the program.
I currently have Make 2017 and have just discovered that it won’t open any of the drawings that I created with it nor even open at all. the only thing that will come up is SketchUp Free. WTF?

Trimble probably sent a remote kill code!

Seriously? I even tried going to the website to buy 2018 pro to see if that would let me access last years files and it wouldn’t let me even do that. I gave them the info that was asked for but it keeps offering up SketchUp Free and I cant figure out how to open a file with it.

open S U Free in your browser. click on the folder at the top. select “insert”. select the computer icon. navigate to the SU file you want to open.

Hi I’m Terry. I am very new to SketchUp Pro 2018. In fact I just bought it 2 days ago. So far this is a great program. I converted from ViaCAD Pro that I have been using for years. I am not very confident in using a forum like this so if I am not writing in the correct section or asking a question in the wrong section please be patient and tell me where to go (but be nice).
The reason I mentioned ViaCAD Pro is because in the short time I’ve been using this program, I have been unable to find an extension that simply splits a solid in two. In ViaCAD Pro, there is a tool called an infinite plane. It’s just a small square that can be toggled to the axes you want it on and after placing it on the solid you want to split, you click on it and it slices right through giving you two solids.
So with that said, is there an extension available for Sketch Up Pro that does that?
I have tried two different extensions (can’t remember what they are) but they were very complex.
Sincerely,
Terry

Tig’s Split to plane will do what you ask.
If you have further questions create a new thread rather than ask them in here.

Hi my name is Fabrice, from France

What is your industry and profession? working as IT admin for years and now as seller technician for video surveillance and alarm systems

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? using it at work for demo projects, and personally for 3D printing designs

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Intermediate, with lots of remaining beginner problems as I learned all by myself.

Hi Hannah! I’m a yoga teacher/mediator, just discovering Sketch Up to do some simple landscape designs for our backyard in Austin, TX. Trying to learn how to draw things to scale. If you have any tips, feel free to pass them on. Best of luck with your landscaping!

Thank you Box, I will try that one. And thanks for telling me where to ask questions at in this forum. I’ll catch on as I go
Terry

Hi Steve A. here, new user and looking to convert from TurboCAD Pro (imsisoft) to SketchUp. The pricing seems rather confusing. I’m no fan of subscription based software.Can anyone recommend a good SketchUp product entry point for a noob user? Don’t qualify as student. TIA