Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi everyone,
Not sure if i’m doing this correctly. Just want to introduce myself. Usually in a forum there’s a button to POST, but i hit REPLY instead. Hope this works.

I’m a 65 yr old woodworking to be hobbyist. I have bought woodworking equipment and would like to learn to design my woodworking projects on Sketchup. I bought Joe Zeh’s book on Sketchup for Woodworkers. But already running into an issue i don’t understand. Wonder if others have the same problem. I am following directions to create the first tappered leg but when trying to make it 20" its way way way to big. And when i hit Zoom Extent i can’t see an end face at the top of the leg. Any help appreciated.

Hello @bgreifinger You will need to post your questions in the appropriate spot for people to catch them. This question would go under the general sketchup topic. It’s also helpful to describe as clearly as you can what you are doing and where the failure point is. When you have been around a bit longer your trust level will increase and you will be able to upload your model (7th button across the top in the posting composing window) which is the best and fastest way to get clear specific help.

What steps are you using to create your leg? How are you making it 20". Of its getting way to big my first guess is that you are using the scale tool and not imputing the " symbol so are getting a leg that is 20x the original. But it’s a loose guess, More info will get you a better answerer.

Welcome to the sketchup community!

Sorry for the poor posting effort but this site is confusing to me. And i’m not sure how to post what i ended up with in Sketchup. I’ll have to look at the book from the beginning and see if i set something up incorrectly by mistake and someone told me to contact the author to see if he would help. So i’ll try that as well. Thanks again for the reply. Bryan

Bryan, I sent you a private message. Click on the B in the blue circle in the upper right part of the forum window.

Hi, I’m really just trying to get started. I’m Erik, many years of experience in making everything from houses to musical instrument parts. Once I tried a 3d drafting program, but found could not afford the time to use it and went back to the drafting table because I needed a plan (spiral staircase.) Now I have sketchup free, but the video tutorial doesn’t seem to be for the program I’m looking at.

I’m trying to do the same thing. This is where you end up if you try to use this forum, it doesn’t have a normal interface. Maybe the members want to keep new folks out, I’m frustrated

Hi @eriksnogenius and @bgreifinger,

I can say with confidence that there is no plot to restrict new users on this forum. If something is confusing to you, ask the question here and one (or more) of the numerous knowledgeable and friendly forum members will do their best to help.

Hello All, my name is Mark Kellogg. I’ve designed all my own woodworking and remodeling projects by hand (and limited 2D drawing packages) for years and am finally making the the switch to 3D with SketchUp.

I am a beginner user using SketchUp 2017 Make for woodworking, house remodeling, and designing/building scale structures for a friends HO railroad.

I have played with Sketchup for years but after retiring this year I started learning in earnest by going through Joe Zeh’s excellent book A Design Guide for Woodworkers.

I built and use my own computer which has an Intel Core i7-7700K, 16 GB RAM, SSD for program storage, Radeon RX-480 graphics card, an Asus 27" PG278QR monitor, and finally a 2TB hard drive for file storage.

My first serious Sketchup project is a set of large panel doors for my shop entrance. Also currently under design is a replica (modified due to size restraints) of the Newton KS Santa Fe passenger depot for my friends HO train layout. The station is still standing. The design is Tudor Revival and was modeled after William Shakespeare’s house in Stratford-on-Avon. Besides being somewhat difficult to model it is, in my opinion, a rather clunky looking building. But my friend models Newton KS passenger operations so the Newton KS depot it will be!

I lam happy to say I am just getting good enough with SketchUp so it is now beginning to save time with the designs instead of taking longer. I look forward to becoming more proficient with the program and learning more of its vast capabilities.

Mark

Erik,

You can install my stair maker plugin. It has 7 days free trial. Contact me from my website if you need some help.
https://cabmaker32.com/products/

• Quem é Você? Olá! Sou tenquin

• Qual é a sua indústria e profissão? Sou projetista de móveis e estou tentando desenvolver plugins SketchUp

• Onde você usa o SketchUp? Pessoalmente / profissionalmente? Uso profissionalmente e pessoalmente. Pessoalmente, nas horas vagas estou tentando desenvolver meus próprios plugins.

• Por que você usa o SketchUp e qual é a sua coisa favorita sobre isso? Eu uso o SketchUp porque é um programa muito fácil de aprender e muito poderoso aliado aos plugins. Minha atividade favorita no momento é o estudo e desenvolvimento de plugins.

• Quão proficiente você está no SketchUp? Iniciante Intermediário Avançado? Eu acredito que intermediário.

• Qual é a sua configuração atual? Tipo de computador, versão do SketchUp … etc. Eu tenho um Notebook, Windows 7 e SketchUp pro 2016.

• Você tem uma página 3DW com seus modelos, ou um site ao qual você gostaria de ligar ou mostrar para nós? No momento ainda não tenho.

• Mais alguma coisa que você gostaria de nos dizer? Sou novo em Ruby SketchUp, tenham paciência se eu falar bobagens. rsrsrs

• Qual é o seu Emoji favorito? :alegria:

• Você gosta de longas caminhadas na praia …? Gosto mais de ficar deitado na areia apreciando as ondas, mas gosto de caminhadas também, não tão longas.

Dick B, a retired pulmonologist working on an invention to replace CPAP for the treatment of Sleep Apea. Using SketchUp for design and a TrueUp 3D printer to create the product.

Thanks, that sounds great! But I’m not designing stairs right now - that
was 20 years ago. I’ll keep it in mind, though.

Hi,
I’m Christophe from France. Using sketchup for a various purposes : woodworking, 3D printing, renovation/remodeling of the house, etc.

Hi Everyone,

I’m a semi-retired Architect doing a lot of free work for family and friends, mostly residential remodeling and interiors. I’ve been using Sketchup for about 4 years off and on to rough out concepts and develop basic documents suitable for builders to obtain permits.

My skill set tends to degrade when I’m not actively using the software so I have to re-learn best practices but I try to stay on top of the simple stuff.

I’m a veteran of the dawn of the age of CADD. Those of you old enough to remember the expensive bulky machines of the 80’s and early 90’s will appreciate the distance that has been covered. My career was mainly commercial work for big companies so we used Microstation and our consultants used AutoCad (the wars of software attrition are over) and basically replicated 2D design in expensive slow software. Now with the retirement of my generation of dinosaurs the 3D apps have become routine and better so the industry has embraced the idea of model development as the primary mode of design.

Anyway I’m poking along self-learning as I go.
Have not been to base camp and would appreciate some opinions of this from recent graduates.
I use a MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, ntel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB which is too small for big graphics but seems fast enough. The storage is too small as I’m always switching Dropbox folders on and off…

OK so that’s ti for now, thanks for reading

Who are you? I’m Kenny Geyskens

What is your industry and profession? Graduated as an architect, but became a BIM softtware developer with about 7 years of experience now ('18).

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? During my eductation I used SketchUp for drawing 3d models, both conceptual and highly detailed. However, being a software developer, I use SketchUp for making SketchUp Extensions.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…) To impress the babes.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Unfortunately, improving my programming skills has sure had an impact on my drawing skills.

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) Windows, Mac, you name it.

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Not yet. But, you can always PM me.

Hi. I am Dawid Theron from South-Africa, an ArchiCAD user for the last 15 years and Sketchup occasionally. After researching the capabilities of using Sketchup not just for modelling but also documentation of Architectural drawings, I’ve decided to make the switch last month. I miss some of the features of ArchiCAD, but I’m sure the way Sketchup has developed over the past years, it will just be a matter of time before some of it will be integrated here as well. In fact ArchiCAD has incorporated a morph tool with a similar push/pull function many years after Sketchup, so I am happy to get going with Sketchup/Layout for all my projects.

Good Morning.
I am a newbie to SketchUp and Im signed up for some introductory training in March.
As a company, we already have some existing SketchUp drawings. These have been produced for us to use but we need the capability to amend these.
We are based in Northampton, UK and would appreciate any guidance available on how we could source some help with this.
Kind regards,

Hello, my name is Jim Grant, I’m old, short and lazy.
I live in the Blue Mountains outside Sydney, Australia.
I manufacture and install balustrades for a living (my own business) and as far as I’m concerned, Sketchup is invaluable in design and setting out, especially the more complicated balustrades.
In an older house situation, where I can measure out all it’s idiosyncrasies, plot them in Sketchup and work around them, I’m sure I’ve saved myself untold headaches by recognising a “virtual” problem before it become a reality.
I’m hardly proficient in Sketchup. More the “hit and giggle” type of user. But I can muddle my way well enough to not get myself in too much strife.
I’m using Windows 10 (at Microsoft’s not so subtle insistence) and all seems hunk dory.
I gave myself a fairly decent head injury some years ago, with consequent brain damage.
I came off the roof of my 75 Series Toyota “Troopie” and smacked my head on a planet.
Earth to be specific.
I have no memories of the following 11 months and I seem (according to everybody else) to have grown a brand new personality.
My wife, needless to say is disconcerted.
You’d think that after 17 years she’d get used to it.
10 points for persistence.
Whereas I get 10 points for eccentricity (my word) and being easily distracted by shiny objects.
Since the knock on the head, I’ve become quite OCD.
I became vaguely, mildly, and eventually, all consumingly interested in Microsoft Excel.
Mea Culpa.
Which is good, because the formulaic nature of it helped my logic circuits greatly.
Then I discovered what could be done with Sketchup.
And (due to incumbent brain damage and the resulting medication) it’s better than sex.
I still fly my trusty hang-glider. Which was made in your country, too.
It’s a Northwing Freedom 170. I love it to bits. Not literally.
It’s not high performance, those days have gone. But it’s a joy to fly, especially cross-country.
Well, that’s me in a bottle-top, as they say. In Australia, anyway.
Take care and watch your step,
Jim

Hello All,
I’m a design-build contractor. Love Sketchup and have been using it since around 2006. I don’t tend to share a lot of personal details online so I guess that’s about it.