Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Who are you, who, who?`** (*show us those pearly whites :smiley: — to start, just one photo if you please )

No pearly whites, but this is the real me

What is your industry and profession?

Civil / Structural across Residential / Commercial / Industrial … you name it. Pretty much anything and everything construction related projects over the past n years

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?

So far, I’ve only scratched the surface with the professional stuff, generating 3D views of details for folks who can’t read technical drawings, but I’d really like to do more.

From what I’ve seen so far, unfortunately I think LO need more development before I’d consider using SU as my “go to” package … :frowning_face:

Personally, I use SU for creating models to 3D print, mainly parts for my motorbikes … or just exploring ideas

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favourite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…)

It’s just so ridiculously easy to generate your first 3D models … :grinning:

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?

Somewhere between beginner and advanced, depending on the particular project, the day of the week, amount of coffee consumed, etc, etc … :wink:

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?

Why not try hosting one in New Zealand, and then I’d consider it … :wink:

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.587 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)

AMD 8320, 16 GB, GTX 970, Win 7 ('cos I hate the update), SU 2017 … however the old workhorse is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I’m looking to upgrade

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?

Na, I think my stuff is a little too “niche” to start uploading for the world to make use of

Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)

What is your favourite Emoji?

:grinning: or :wink: or :sunglasses: or …

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?

I’d prefer to be under the waves, wearing SCUBA gear … :wink:

Hello,
This is meant to be my “Introduction”, which I previously did not supply.
My name is Dieter Jung, I am a long time electrical and control system design engineer, who decided to take an early retirement. Since then, I started a hot tub and sauna manufacturing business, with my son. This has evolved to quite a going concern, and we are quite proud of what we have achieved, product and business wise. We provide the most diverse range of heating systems for hot tubs of any manufacturer, including wood, gas, air-source heat pump, thermal solar and of course electric heat. You can find our company under cedartubs.com. We are located in Winnipeg, Canada,

I am a long time SketchUp users and most of the illustrations that are in our manuals have been produced by Pro. I use some other 2D CAD packages for stuff like electrical diagrams.

Now that I have introduced myself, hopefully this finds itself to the right location, because I have previously asked questions and have had them answered. The organization of the posting is confusing to me. for example, I have finished typing the introduction, but see no “post” button, just a Reply button. Oh well hope it doesn’t end up in a sink hole.

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites :smiley: — to start, just one photo if you please ) - Neil Graham
• What is your industry and profession? Working with the UK International Search And Rescue Team, developing an Emergency Field Hospital
•Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Trying to use it for work
• Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…) Integrating with Google Earth for planning overseas emergency deplyments
• How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Beginner
•Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Not yet
• What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.587 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
•Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
• Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
• What is your favorite Emoji?
•Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?

No sink hole! Thanks for the intro, Dieter! Glad you’re here.

Hi John! Thanks for joining the forum :slight_smile:

Hello, I’m a landscape designer seeking to use SketchUp/Layout for my business (I’m an army of one). My goal is to use a combo of hand-drawing (currently only hand drawn) and CAD for my designs, (the CAD part mostly for the final design plan). I’ve had some basic SketchUp training, but I’m a newbie…
I’m on a Macbook Pro-
Many thanks!

Hi I’m Suzie. I am joining the forum as I am new to Sketchup. I am an Interior Design Student and have to use the program for some upcoming assignments. I thought being on this forum could help if I cannot work through a problem myself. Hopefully eventually I can help others.

Who are you, who, who? I’m Kat Kramer…girl of random knowledge. I’m the one without the beard.

Katandbobby

What is your industry and profession? I have a background in CAD, Construction Management, and technology, and am a graduate of Texas A&M’s Construction Science program. I was formerly a Technical Trainer and Systems Engineer at Apple. I have a passion for teaching technology, and created the curriculum and taught woodworking design at the college level with SketchUp, which I’ve been using since 2006-2007. I now design, print, and cast jewelry in 3D, although I’ve used SketchUp to also plan out fabricated pieces (from sheet and wire). I use a [Formlabs Form 2] “SLA” 3D resin printer, and am familiar with the different types of 3D printing.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Both.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…) It works the way I do…I struggled with AutoCAD in school, and was shocked when I learned about SketchUp…it was so much more intuitive. Since I love woodworking, it was so much easier to visualize joinery, which made my designs much more buildable. For jewelry, it allows me to tweak things…if I need the same ring design in five sizes with the same size stone, the dimensions in SketchUp give me the ability to design accordingly…the components feature makes the pieces interchangeable.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Advanced. Interestingly, I created the videos for the Toolbar a few years back. I am the voice of the Toolbar Videos.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Not yet!

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.587 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) I’m using the latest version of SketchUp Make, although in the past I’ve used the Pro version. I switch back and forth between a 27" iMac (a couple years old) and my 2012 MacBook Pro. Since they both are able to handle most of the 3D modeling I do (including ZBrush), I haven’t upgraded lately.

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Yes. Click here to see some of my models in the warehouse…including models I did for my jewelry workbench, like a hydraulic press. On my website, www.katkramer.com I talk about 3D printing and casting in my blog.

Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) You guys are too funny. I once designed a doghouse for my dog, and was able to choose wallpaper in SketchUp by importing some patterns. My dog has discerning tastes.

What is your favorite Emoji? It doesn’t exist. There is no squirrel. Someone needs to explain to the Emoji Gods that a chipmunk is not the same as a squirrel! :chipmunk:

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Oh yes. My dream is to design jewelry on my laptop from an island, then upload to casting houses. Totally possible…

And why am I here? I’m interested in finding a school in Austin and teaching kids CAD. I’m fascinated with how they are able to pick up technology and run with it, and I think it can be the foundation for a life of learning. The “maker” thing is so hip and cool these days…I’ve got skills and I’m just itching to share them with others.

Nice to meet you all!

Thanks for joining, Suzie! Glad you’re here. Feel free to post any questions you have as you work through your projects :slight_smile:

My name is Mark and I’m one of the original 3ds max artists, suddenly thrust into using and teaching SketchUp. I used to write the help system and tutorials for 3ds Max. I’ve been doing 3D since 1990.
I’m a teacher, I’m teaching high school students Sketchup.
I’m learning SketchUp to teach high school students for a super-fun project.
I’m using SketchUp to build historic building. I like that it’s supposed to be easy to learn. Sometimes it is.
I’m far from proficient, but I can make a dog house.
I don’t have much time to learn SketchUp, so I’m reading SketchUp for Dummies.
I’m running on a MacBook Air with 4 gb of Ram. Pretty low end.
I want to know how to draw splines. After that I’ll have more questions.

Hello,

My name is Ole Petter. I’m fairly new to Sketchup, but am already finding it very useful. I started using Sketchup in order to test out some of my design ideas, mostly in the offshore construction space…

profil linkedin

Hi , i am Pete .i am a retired builder of 39years. i still do small jobs to keep me occupied and have a small woodworking shop.
I started looking at sketchup as a way of (trying) drawing plans for my hobby work.
At the present i am still trying to learn the navigation (beginner).
I havn’t done base camp but done a lot of youtube
looking forward to becoming part of the community
regards to all PETE

Hi @petegreenhorn! Welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

Thanks for the welcome Caroline

Hello I’m iarga. I use (free) Sketchup for years. I think it is a really great and easy tool. Thank you for this software. I hope I can add useful information sometimes.

Hello CAROLINE
please can you help me, i want to know how can i do to get back the coordinates of mouse-position with ruby sketchup? thank you

Mouse coordinates display

I’m 56 and have always been fascinated with cad in general, wishing that I could of done it as an occupation.

However, I had to teach myself sketchup 2014 so I could provide a rendering of (the work to be done) my house to the city for a permit.
( To have a professional do it would have cost me thousands $$$$)

I learned to use sketchup while I re-created a 3D model of my house and the changes that needed to be made.
(I had to replace my roof and added some modifications )

The learning experience was ( painful ) since I shot from the hip ( no solid direction or understanding ), but maybe for a few tips from youtube. And I can’t forget about (Matt Donley), big thanks to him.

After that, other things required my attention and sketchup took a backseat until now…

This time I’m going to learn and make it a hobby and start by taking a structured approach by using the step by step
instruction by ( 3Dvinci / Bonnie Roskes, P.E.) you have to learn to walk before you can run. Nothing like starting off
with your ABC’s

I,m looking forward to getting to know the sketchup community for the mentorship and camaraderie.

Thanks

Who are you, who, who?
Emmanuel Mora, from Venezuela living and working in Germany.
I Design Boothes (Stands) For exposition Fair

What is your industry and profession?
Architect, Designer of stand a Furniture with Architectural modular system . I am also Facinated for 3d modeling and new tecnologies of 3D printer.
I think there is a big pontencial in this areas, and infinited possibilities

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Both… But most professionally

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
Easy, Flexibe, Adaptable, Very used Worlwide and a lot more reason.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
I think between Intermediate and advanced…

What is your current set up?
Windows Surface, Intel Core i7-6600 Cpu @ 2.6Ghz 2.81 Ghz 16G RAM
Graphic Memory: Intel Graphics 520

What is your favorite Emoji?
:+1:

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
Hahah Sure, I am from the Caribbean :sunglasses:

Hi
My name Neno
I just installed sketchup to help me construct cabinets and built in closets.
i do this in my spare time and need some help to get me started, for example from tutorials i built a cabinet and now i would like to get a print out of its elements and there dimensions so i can order and have them cut out. is that possible?
thanks

Hello, I am a restaurant & farm owner, retired CPA, hoping to build our final home timber frame at our farm, along with other buildings, using our forest and the saw mill that I own. I am learning using sketchup school and other resources. At the very least, I want to be able to interact with a professional designer/architect. Maybe build some furniture one day. Lots of questions, and I look forward to eventually be able to answer some.