Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

HI, I’m a retired telecoms professional, with an interest in model making, so beginning to learn SketchUp with the intention of producing some components / complete models. At this stage, I’m only going to use SketchUp Make, and it’s proving to be a steep learning curve… With luck there’ll be someone out there to answer a few questions as I progress!! I’m inspired to try when I look at some of the amazing designs that others have done. I wish I could have started on this 20 years ago.
Keith.

1 Like

I’ve been hanging about for ages but never filled this out!

Who are you? JasonWD as the handle says; my surname is way too long for here!

What is your industry and profession? I’m an Architectural Designer and mainly design Shops and Resturants, I also teach SketchUp.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I’m a pro and use SketchUp and Layout for almost everything and try to get as many people to use it as I can.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Speed and fun. It’s like a toy that gets better and better the more you know about it.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? I’ve been using it pretty much since it came out and met a lot of the team and traveled internationally to events…so… um… Nerd?

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Two in Colorado and one in the UK

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. I have a very nice Mac Laptop connected to some Thunderbolt displays and a huge hulking PC with two GPUs and a 4K monitor… you couldsday I swing both ways with the latest version.

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? *www.wolfe-daimpre.com is my main page and I should upload more to 3DW. note to self

Anything else you would like to tell us? I design all sorts of stuff from bicycles to weird art instalations to blocks of apartments. I also rode all the way across the USA off-road in 2016. Read the shenanagans here>> www.jasonwd.com I’ve been a farmer, entrepreneur, pilot, engineer, shopkeeper, designer and much more.

What is your favorite Emoji? :chipmunk: (I’m calling that a squirrel)

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? I prefer to ride my fatbike!

3 Likes

I am 58 yrs.,retired because of an illness and living in the Netherlands. Now trying to help some young developers and entrepreneurs. So got interested in 3D developing of small parts. Now trying out Sketchup maker to investigate what the possibilities and its limitations are.

1 Like

I’m Ron Wellman and live in Midland Michigan and am a retired SAP developer. My intent is to use SketchUp to create detailed plans to construct copper artwork e.g. lamps, lawn sprinklers, mail boxes and whatever else comes to mind. As a former IT coder I am very aware of a pitfall that developers have to be ever vigilant to avoid namely “developer’s myopia”. I see more than a little evidence of that in SketchUp. I hope the community will lift the veil and reach outside their own expertise to help those, like myself, that are newbies. Ron

1 Like

As a newbie you can probably do many things with the native tools… if you but ask.

For the situations demanding an extra tool…
I assume you have explored all of the many EWH tools… and those at SketchUcation.com, and of course all of those from other sources like Smustard.com and developers’ own sites…

Since you mention “copper artwork” I assume you have looked as FredoScale [to distort/twist/etc] and StockMaker SketchUp Plugins | PluginStore | SketchUcation used in many metal forms…

1 Like

Thanks TIG, No I haven’t been aware of the resources you cite but I certainly will check them out. Nice to know there is help from users like yourself as I , so far, find SketchUp way less than intuitive – I trust that will change. Ron

1 Like

Hi, I am RJW and a new to Sketchup.
Firstly I hope I am introducing myself in the right place, if not that probably shows a little of my competence.
Anyway I give you my background. Rather than being part of this hi-tech world from the start of my career I have spent most of my working life on a drawing board with pencil in hand.
I am in the interior design world and been using AutoCAD for the last few years successfully.
It appears to me that Sketchup, just like AutoCAD Sketchup is now the “must have” capability. I been have been self tutoring for the past month and making good progress but realise that I need more speed and efficiency to make it a viable tool. Despite having a lot to learn and only scratching the surface at present I am really looking forward to it.
Many thanks in advance for any advice, time and help the community can support me with

1 Like

Name is Tim, I’m a remodeling contractor of 30 years now.
I have used SU for a number of years now both professionally and personally
I use SU because it’s powerful, easy to manipulate and its free. Favorite thing about SU is just being able to sketch, draw and model. I’d say I’m a intermediate user no basecamp just tutorials and hours and hours and hours and still more hours of practices.
Current set up is Lenovo I5 with GT730 graphics card windows 10 64 bit, SU 2016 64 bit

1 Like

You are using the Make version professionally?

1 Like

[quote=“Cotty, post:686, topic:6944, full:true”]
You are using the Make version professionally?
[/quote] Tim’s user-profile says he uses Pro 2016 - but his in-post reference to it being ‘free’ is perplexing…

1 Like
  • — to start, just one photo if you please ) see Bobpaynes911.com
  • What is your industry and profession? Computer hardware/software engineer from 1960 to current
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? retired, personally
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Need to describe for myself my projects. (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…)
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Beginner
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No
    • What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.538 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) Version 17.1.173 Sketchup Make, MacBook Air 120GB ~2015
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Not yet
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) My 1967 Porsche 911 EV bobpaynes911.com, raising my house 6 ft due to hurricane Mathew, Documenting Bellanca Skyrocket II
  • Bellanca Skyrocket II - Civilian Fixed-Wing Light Aircraft 1946 and later - X-Plane.Org Forum
  • What is your favorite Emoji? N/A
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? N/A
1 Like

Hi. My name is Carolyn. I am a landscape architect of an older generation. I started using AutoCAD when I was about 50 and really loved it. I just recently taught myself some SketchUp and now that is my second favorite program ever.

1 Like

Hello my name is Kon.
I create the .vismat materials for vray for Sketchup & Rhino. My site is www.vismats.com You can use free of charge. Good luck every body

2 Likes

Hi, my name is David Clark, a 70 something retired guy. I spent my life teaching industrial arts, sales and marketing and woodworking. I’m using sketchup for designing and drawing projects for my woodworking and various other projects that come up. I have used sketchup for a number of years, but am still climbing the ladder of learning. I would say I am an intermediate learner. Have not gone to Basecamp, and am using a MacBook Pro hooked up to a 27inch Apple Thunderbolt monitor. I do not have a 3D warehouse page , but have a website where I am marketing The Chevalet de Marqueterie kit. www.chevaletkits.com
My current project is drawing a 1/12th scale model of a “Booster Buck” - a vintage farm machine used to scoop up material prior to the advent of hydraulics. This project will end up having a master view with a couple hundred detail drawings. Have been working on it off and on for over a year now. I have joined this group as I am currently dead in the water, as I don’t know how to solve several rendering challenges. Looking forward to learning and sharing with this group!

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites :smiley: — to start, just one photo if you please )
Hi, I’m John. I was around for the Google SketchUp beta, and have been using it ever since. I hope some day to learn how to use AutoCAD or some impressively elaborate design program, but alas, as a mere middle school night janitor, my free time is so small and precious that my numerous architectural and 3D modelling/printing ideas go undesigned or unpublished. As fantastic a solution as the massive programs are however, SketchUp is still the fastest basic needs modeling program by far. I’d go so far as to say it’s three times faster to make a home layout in SU than CAD, InDesign, Floorplan, or others.

What is your industry and profession?
Night janitor.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Personally. Hopefully some day professionally as the missus and I want to get into real estate.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
Despite the many years I’ve been using it, I still consider myself a beginner.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
Ha! I wish.

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.540 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
Just a desktop with a midline graphics card, old Dell monitor, and a 5 button mouse. I hope to get a 3D control when I start making more 3D models and sculpting them in more advanced programs.

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Not yet…

1 Like

G’day - i am jonjon
I am an architect
pretty much a novice with SU 2017 Pro
I like the graphics possible
I have a HP Z230 Tower
I fly
I have designPH loaded
The only thing I have to show is my ignorance

1 Like

Hi,
My name is Rich and I am in the wire brush industry. I don’t do a lot of 3D modeling and so will be asking a lot of questions.

1 Like

Hey there, SketchUp does not provide specialized courses, but re-sellers in your region may be a good resource for finding training.

In Denmark, the authorized reseller is CAD Conversion: http://www.cad-conversion.dk/
You might want to try reaching out to them to see if they offer training or have suggestions for training programs.

Otherwise, SketchUp’s video tutorials on SketchUp Campus are helpful for learning.

1 Like

@ccalainc Hopefully, we can make it your first favorite :wink:

Would love to see these models in the 3D warehouse!

1 Like

Hello everyone:

My name is Barb from Canada. So happy to be joining you all in this community forum.

I am a self-taught user of Sketch Up. Just recently purchased the Pro license. Love the capabilities of this software - so much to learn from you all. I am very interested in several different applications for 3d modelling (e.g using autocad house plan drawings, interior design and landscaping).

I am using an ASUS ROG G752VS gaming laptop, intel core i7 and just received my new 3d Connexion space navigator mouse last week and still getting familiar with it. Also using a 27 inch ASUS swift monitor.

Would love to learn more how to create 3d house models in greater detail to depict a more realistic model from autocad house drawings, including grading of terrain.

Looking forward to chatting with you.

Cheers, Barb

2 Likes