Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Shawn
Solar Industry
Use Professionally
Advanced user of Sketchup Pro & Layout
Basecamp 2008
PC, Windows 10, 64-bit
Intel Core i5-241OM CPU @ 2.3 GHr

Hi. I’m Sean. I’m Canadian. Yes, I love hockey, beer and the great outdoors.Have acreage in the country and want to make my own drawings for some sheds and eventually a cabin.
I am a Sketchup novice and also relatively computer challenged. Not a great combination.

So, I basically want to make some construction/framing diagrams. Do I need this Homebuilder plug-in?

And, I have an ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics card (took me 10 mins to find that). Is this behind my constant crashes?

Thanks

Hello, I’m Jane, a garden designer who uses Sketchup to model gardens. I am self-taught, on a Mac OSX 10.6.8 (bit out of date, find the updates of my Mac a bit challenging but ought to take the plunge). I am signed up for a Sketchup for garden designers course in June so hope to use it more fluently after that.
I use basic Sketchup version 8. Books: I’ve got Sketchup 8 for Dummies - very useful - and ‘Google Sketchup for Site Design’. I have used the videos a bit but not Bootcamp (?I think).

Hello,

I am completely new to SketchUp and learning with Tutorials.
I come up with questions the Tutorial can’t answer. I hope with the help of the Forum community I will improve my skills.

Thank you SketchUp Community for accepting me to be part of the SketchUp Community. Im Nereo Bacalla from Cebu City, Philippines and an Architect by profession. It was fairly recent that I got to know of SketchUp and had become an avid fan of this software. Indeed it is very interesting. I admit that Im still a novice and continually studying how to plan and do design work with sketchup. It is still a personal endeavor up to now because of my limited time in mastering the skills required in getting the right results and perhaps I could shorten my learning curve pains if I will consult people who had been so deep in sketchup. Again thank you so much, With your assistance, perhaps achieving the good wont be as hard anymore.

Who are you, who, who? Hi, my name is Martijn (RoadworX), Dutchie and 27 years old at the moment.

What is your industry and profession? Currently I’m studying traffic engineering with this year being my last year.

Where do you use SketchUp? I believe I’ve been using it since 2012, so 5 years (mostly for personal use). I also lecture the basics of sketchup to the first year students of my study.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I use SketchUp for making 3D road-models (for instance: a roundabout, intersection, drawbridge etc etc) I like using SketchUp because of its versatility and the graphical capabilities. You see what you draw and I like that a lot. The picture below shows one of my drawings: a typical Dutch drawbridge (I’m sorry for the annoying RenderIN banner though).

How proficient are you in SketchUp? I strongly believe somewhere in between intermediate and advanced.

What is your current set up? HP Laptop: 8GB DDR4; Intel CORE i7; Geforce GTX 950m; 256GB SSD, SketchUp Pro 2017 with a few rendering plugins.

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? I’ve got a few models uploaded a year ago, but they are not very exciting (mostly Dutch roadside objects like lampposts, signportals, drawbridge gates and signals, etc.)

Anything else you would like to tell us? Are there more people from Holland here!? :smiley:

What is your favorite Emoji? :joy:

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? We have a nice shoreline here along the westside of our awesome country, but I don’t like the cold, smelly and mirky puddle lying next to it :yum:

Hi my name is Tony OConnor of Blue Sky West Inc. I am a California General Building Contractor and purchased Sketchup in order to offer a visual representation of my idea’s to my clients. I like Sketchup because it is intuitive and easy to use.
I have not watched 3D Base camp but was able to generate a “Simple” 3D drawing of my project my first time out. It was a great way to learn some basic moves but now I am looking forward to creating truly useful and accurate drawings. I am using Windows 10 with an Intel ® HD graphic 2500 card and have been pleased with my computers ability to run this program. I am looking forward to adding Sketchup as another tool I can use to help me communicate with my clients and to help me sell projects.

I am a teacher of landscape design and I say to my students to present their projects in Sketchup animations posted on YouTube. If someone is curious, the site where these works are is < https://sites.google.com/site/projetopaisagismo2/course-materials >.
The trouble I have is this:
I’m doing animations with sections. One scene has one section and the next does not. When you see the animation, both the section and the position of the camera change. The problem is that the section change is much faster than the change of the camera position. I wanted them to be coincidental. The funny thing is that I had already done several successfully. Suddenly it started to happen. Does anyone have any idea what to do? Thank you in advance.

Writer—painter. Sketchup 7.1 for personal projects. I am a total beginner with SU. Mac 10.6.8—SU 7.1 Pro (Eval).

Hello,

My name is Iwona and I’m an amateur user of SketchUp. My profession is control engineer. I’m from Poland but living in France since 10 years.

I started using SketchUp to create a 3D model of a little plastic piece that I would like to then print in the 3D printer.

I really appreciate SketchUp, I just worked few hours with, but it seems to be very intuitive and user friendly.

If you are working on small pieces for 3D printing be aware that SU was designed for architects originally, and cannot create very small edges. Work at ten, twelve, 100 or 1000 x full scale to avoid such problems. It has internal resolution of 1/1000 inch, and will merge points closer than that.

Use cm or metres (easier) to represent mm, or decimal feet to represent inches.

Work using components on the large scale, then scale down a copy to actual size.

Sketch up can store and preserve small edges scaled down from larger objects, but can’t create them.

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites — to start, just one photo if you please )

**Eddie Hart, Knoxville, TN**
What is your industry and profession? Architecture, retired, doing non profit concept design for churches & synagogues in USA & Israel plus a lot of other stuff. Prioritizing never ends.
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? see above
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…) That’s me…impress the babes…was never very successful to begin with, now…forgetaboutit. I gave up Sketchup and Microstation in 2014, with plan to use Sketchup because I thought it was more efficient, convenient and useful for the scale of work I expected to do and also I could afford it…just.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Probably a mid-level intermediate,
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.534 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) HP Pavilion HPE h8xt, Intel i7-2600 quad core, 9GB DDR3-1333 MHz SDRAM, 7200 rpm SATA, 3GB HD, 1GB DDR3 Radeon HD 6670, Windows 10 Pro, SketchUp Pro 2017
Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) Plan ahead and when you leave this world, make sure the mark you leave is more beautiful because you loved something bigger than yourself, and when you need to make an important decision, make sure you listen to both sides carefully, because our bias is often stronger than logic, those to whom we listened may both be lying, and everyone makes mistakes, even those with big egos and high IQ. Sorry, I had to say this, it’s the job of us old people, or should be. Even if no one is listening.
What is your favorite Emoji? NA, :slight_smile: just ole school
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Who doesn’t?

“OK… I’m Russell… and I’m a newbie Sketchup user…”
“Hi, Russell…”
… thx…
Umm… I’m actually an “older” user of technology, having grown up on the almighty Mac since… well… back when the audio cassette was the latest tech for music distribution… that would be the Macintosh 512k…
"… giggles…"

I’m in “personal reinvent” mode after a multi-decade career in the music production business and have several product ideas I want to birth. My dad was an Architect… a good one… and so I have a deep appreciation for all things aesthetic and architecty… :smirk:

I’m just getting into the CAD world and have been gaining proficiency in a fun app called 3D Custom Workshop, which is an embedded modeling tool found in a home design software package called Punch! (the exclamation point is actually part of their product name… not necessarily my enthusiasm for it) Punch! is home design centric and does a pretty good job. I’m cutting my teeth creating a 3D model of my current home high in the mountains of Santa Cruz, CA… and it turns out to be a pretty challenging task; trying to duplicate an existing structure… especially one as complex as my house… ! But I’ve already bumped into the limitations of the program’s CAD tool and am exploring SketchUp as an alternative to it, with the purpose of creating furniture and other details in my home with greater ease, and hopefully, detail. I plan on adding what I create to the 3D Warehouse… but no additions yet. I’ll keep you posted.

I have to say that what I’ve experienced with SketchUp so far, and having gone thru many of the training videos, etc… I’m very impressed with how it works. The intuitiveness and power of the tools are fantastic. I’m at the point now where almost every time I learn a new tool/capability/feature… I smile and nod my head in gratitude. :wink:

As for my “set up”… I’m running a 2013 MacPro (one of those cute little trash can models) with a ton of RAM (64g) and twin AMD FirePro D500 graphics cards. 2 monitors; an older 30" Cinema Display :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and a smaller 21" Cinema Display. No programs have complained to me yet about “slow”… and my, so far, limited experience with the CAD world has been pretty smooth. I am running Windows 10 (another first for me :flushed:) in BootCamp on it because the Punch! s/w version for Windows far outweighs the Mac versions, which are getting the raw end of the development process (imho)… soooo… rather than boot back and forth between OS partitions, I’m just using the Windows version of SU Make. Don’t worry… I’ll go Pro by the time my trial license is up.

I joined this forum to find the answer to a specific question that I will now go find the appropriate Group for… and hope to see you around the forum

Cheers!

… good to know! thx!

Hey, Codger… props to you, dude… you rock.
I sincerely hope the Twins go find another home… preferably at the bottom of a volcano.
Keep learning’…
Cheers!

I’m a professional (and successful) inventor - now well past retirement, but still doing interesting things.

Sketchup has been great for me - I never got to learn professional CAD systems - just too tedious. SketchUp is very powerful but simple to learn and use.

I have a semi-professional 3D printer and make various types of things for work and play. Current project is to design parts for a water rocket (supposedly for my grandson!).

I live in Cambridge, UK, where I own a windmill which I am restoring, and I work with other owners of mills. I design and have made all sorts of parts for these using SketchUp.

Steve Temple

buenas noches soy otro adicto a este gran programa, y quiero antes de nada dar las gracias por resolver mis dudas, me he dedicado siempre al sector de la construcción como jefe de obras y ahora ya retirado puedo echarle mas tiempo a este programa ya que siempre utilicé autocad.
Soy Español.
Un saludos a todos y espero aportar todos mis conocimientos para ayudar a los demás.

Hi.

I’m a retired road design engineer using SketchUp at a low level for designing, detailing and dimensioning woodwork projects - music stands, standard lamps, small furniture items and the like.

Started using Sketchup way back when it first became available and find it far superior to straight CAD programs. The ability to detail accurately and that to manipulate in 3D view are the strong points. Unfortunately it does not work on Linux systems.

Student illustrator and beignner in that and with my.sketchup beta.

Did not learn sketchup when it was on windows 97 netbook.

Hope to add my.sketchup beta to my art app tool box to create environments and backgrounds. Interested to see what else I can do with it after that.

Haven’t yet attended 3DBasecamp. No warehouse or anything yet to show or share.

Running my.sketchup beta on Acer R13 4GB chromebook under Chrome OS beta (Android on Chrome OS, but my.sketchup on the browser.

My favorite wears sun glasses and a big smile.

Thanks. I’m using it between a little and way too much everyday.

I’ve got a project that could go on until the program simply refuses
to let me add more. It already groans a little if I turn all the
layers on. :slight_smile: