Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hello
I’m Dominique, a french writer and designer.
I’m a novice with Sketchup and I try, try ,try, try every day. :slight_smile:
I’m trying to create a cover for my novel.
And I have a lot of… problems.
See you soon

1 Like

I’m Andrew Lee.
I’m an architect and have run my own one-person residential practice since 2007, all in the Bay Area of California. Currently on sabbatical (using it, among other things, to develop SU skills!) and returning to work in early 2017. To date I’ve used SU to do quick wireframe models, then throw trace paper over it for SD sketches to show clients (very old-school and I still like it)…but I’m intrigued by the idea of using Layout and tossing AutoCAD!
I’d say I’m still a beginner, maybe advanced beginner. I haven’t attended any SU seminars. While on sabbatical I’m using a Lenovo laptop, Windows 10, SU and Layout 2015.
No 3DW page yet!
I’m too old to have a favorite emoji. Maybe it’s :).
Looking forward to dialoging about SU, esp if there’s some kind of beginner’s group where we can share beginner-type questions.

1 Like

Hi I’m Gerald Stacy,

I’m working to start up my own business using 3d printing and molding processes to create new models and terrain for miniature wargames.

1 Like

That will keep you busy for ever making all the small buildings and got to add the ones already part way blown up too

Hi

I’m completely new to the CAD style of designing so just finding sketchup for the first time. Looking for some advice but will post elsewhere for that. I am from Canada, female, and an artist. m I have been designing all manner of stuff and picking up new skills all my life. I learned to weld not all that long ago and my love of doing metal work drives me to seek the best open source/free app for designing pieces that will be sent to fabrication shops.

1 Like

I am Scott, new to SU. I have a lot to learn. I am a professional Model maker/sculptor/pattern maker. I use traditional methods. I am branching out into 3D printing and I think SU will do thew trick!

I look forward to getting great advice and feed back here!

1 Like

Here I’m RonK, as somehow RonKZ wasn’t available.

I used QuickCAD for years, as a home designer/contractor. QuickCAD still works despite being long dropped by AutoCAD, but of course there’s no 3D capability.
So now I’'m an old retired coot now, with but one more little project to do. That project is revamping one side of our kitchen to open things up a bit, gain a bit more storage, and add a nice granite-type countertop for “bar” and playing cards and 42 with out friends, I need Sketchup only to help communicate with my mate about what will be done, and expect we can play with the arrangement until she’s happy!

1 Like

Aloha. I am Thames, a contractor/construction professional in Hawaii. I have used various CAD/drawing programs in the past, but never really developed skills beyond beginner level…having had more experienced people on my teams. I have extensive construction experience and usually contract my own work and have people work for/with me. In a previous life, I had a construction company with over 100+ employees, which included a cabinet shop, a residential remodel team, a commercial build-out team…and designed and built geodesic dome homes and commercial properties. Not trying to establish any creds/pedigree here, just a little background.

I want to take the time to really learn SketchUp Pro, but would like to do so while servicing needs on existing projects. These projects are located on the island of Kauai in Hawaii, and I will be happy to provide links to pics and views to anyone interested. Having introduced myself as requested, I will now browse around and see what I can learn to get started.

1 Like

Hi. I’m Greg (fotsgreg - the fots stands for Fire On The Suns an Excel-based space opera game I designed about 20 years ago). I’m a technical writer for APSCO LLC, a 50- year old manufacturing company based in Tulsa, Oklahoma USA. I’ve been learning and using Sketchup for 2 years slowly converting the old 2D Word sketches in our machine shop setup documents to more useful 3D images which help the operators to more easily visualize what their setups in the machines are supposed to look like. I support Engineering, Sales, Production & Manufacturing, the machine, fabrication, and assembly shops using Sketchup Make 2015 and rendering with Kerkythea.

I’ve also played around with using the RDS 3D exporter for U3D images which can be embedded in pdf files.

1 Like

Hi All, Im very new to sketch up. I an learning at TAFE however smetimes I just want to get on with aoroject before my next class so i hope this forum can help me.
Cheers
Louise

1 Like

Greetings!

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites)
I’m Piotr, student of Architectural Technology at Coventry University and a wishful know-it-all who doesn’t yet know it all.

What is your industry and profession?
Architectural Technologist - Still student though.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
University and personal projects (but shhh…)

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…)
Well, besides impressing the babes, it’s proven to be a fine substitute for a thing called life in the past year.

I really like SketchUp because of how well it flows with my way of thinking - creating as you go. And since I am a kinaesthetic learner, I like to be able to manipulate the space and see the effects of it straight away. Now, how to get this thing working on Oculus…

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
I can’t tell, because I don’t want to come into the circle of experts thinking my beak is less greener than it really is, but after 9 months of constant usage (several hours a day usually), I like to think I am past the beginner stage.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
What’s that and why have I not been invited yet?

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.445 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
Darn… without my ferrari I don’t have much to go on then.

I’ve been experimenting with my laptop way too much and managed to screw the Windows Partition, so I am stuck with a Linux Partition that is 10% of the original drive. Gotta get this thing fixed…

So I use SketchUp only at University. From what I’ve seen they have Intel i-5 processors and are fitted with a 3D graphics card (think it was an Nvidia GT series, but don’t remember).

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Will do as soon as I am done with the newest competition project I am working on.

Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
Not a UFO, but I will be working on a great project this summer. I think I’ll title it girl_friend.skp

What is your favorite Emoji?
. >: )

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
And in the forest. So long as it’s modeled in .skp

All the bad puns and jokes aside, it’s great to join the SketchUp Community. Looking forward to learn a lot from the Grandmasters here!

And nice to meet you all!

Del~

2 Likes

Basecamp is a get together for all things SketchUp and Layout.

I’m too new to SU to state definitively if it’s only done every two years, but the last one was 2014 and the next one is next month - June 2016. - in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, US.

Here’s a couple of links to check it out:
“About the BaseCamp category” on this forum and
Trimble’s Blog Post announcing 2016 BaseCamp

2 Likes

Hi sjdorst

Thanks for letting me know.

This explains why I haven’t heard about the Basecamp. I live in the land far far away over the ocean :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Del~

1 Like

Hi folks!
Will here in Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
I’m an Architectural Designer/Intern Architect.
If anyone is my neck of the woods, say hi sometime.

1 Like

Who are you? Betty
What is your industry and profession? I am the Graphic | Marketing Coordinator for an architectural firm in Central California
Where do you use SketchUp? I use sketchup at work
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I use SketchUp with Vray to render out architectural models
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No, I have not
What is your current set up? I use SketchUp Pro 2016
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Not yet…
What is your favorite Emoji?:grin:
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach? I prefer shell-hunting on the beach. :grimacing:

1 Like

Hi Everyone.
This is John in Maryland. I’m new to the SketchUp 2016 program but have used a similar software for many years… but they have their differences. I design and build elevators for a living… hence the program need.
I’m hearing tales of a SketchUp Base Camp but not familiar with that. Hopefully the forum will be able to give me insight on that.

1 Like

Hello all. I am a retired teacher on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada.

I began to use SketchUp 3 or 4 years ago - to help me design a woodworking shop - complete with space for moving safely amongst the tools, and to facilitate work-flow.

I was happy with the workshop results, and decided to use SketchUp for all my cabinetry planning to aid in making more efficient cuts and to reduce errors. I would still consider myself a beginner, though my skills are growing.

I am using a 2014 MacBook Pro (Retina - 13 inch).

When I am not woodworking, I would rather be on a sailboat watching beaches receding on the horizon.

1 Like

What is your industry and profession? Currently Residential Builder Contractor / previous life Industrial Designer
Where do you use SketchUp? Professionally
Why do you use SketchUp to get up to date with good looking design documentation
and what is your favorite thing about it? When you get it right

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No but I think I need to
What is your current set up? Computer type,Acer
SketchUp version 2016 Pro

I would rather be surfing in the Maldives

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? When the ocean has motion
[/quote]

1 Like

Hi there! My name is Willy L. Mwamba. I live in Germany: I am very much interested in learning and mastering Sketchup because I have joined a construction business.
I am a beginner. I have just installed Sketchup 8 on my computer and I am eager to learn fast with your help.

1 Like

Who are you? Matt Covert

What is your industry and profession? Urban Planning - public sector (regional planning commission)
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Personally, I use SketchUp for making conceptual designs of house and landscaping projects. Professionally, I use it for density visualization and design charrettes.
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I use SketchUp because it’s the only thing out there that is both easy to use and incredibly powerful. My favorite thing about it is that the SketchUp community is so active in adding onto the program and making it better and more useful every day!
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Intermediate
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? I attended 2016’s Boot Camp and Base Camp in Steamboat Springs, CO.
What is your current set up? Windows 7 x64, HP desktop (soon to get a solid state hard drive upgrade, woohoo!), SketchUp Make 2016
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Not yet!

2 Likes