Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hello,

I am a newbbie here. i hav no knowdlge on cad. just now starting. i m much interested in landscape designing. where do i learn this application before purchase. is there any online course for this application? like udemy, courseera etc. kinldy help me to learn this sketchup

Hey everyone. Mike here, another Mike. Been on SketchUp for close to 20 years but Layout only about 10. Never really “learned” the program but always got by. Thats all changing so glad this forum exists.

Who are you?Face for radio
What is your industry and profession? I’m own my own niche’ design firm. Cant talk about waht I do . NDA’s everywhere
Where do you use SketchUp?professionally
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?Origianlly, because I needed CAD and SKP was free, then One day I was in a meeting and the client started spewing out dimensions. I realized I was modeling almost as fast as they were talking. We left the meeting with a 3D ground plan. LOVE.
How proficient are you in SketchUp?advanced
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No but I wish I had time too.
What is your current set up?I have an Asus Duo Zen Laptop Maxed Out with a Huion 24" drawing tablet.
Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?No. I’m pretty private with what I do. Kinda have to be.
Anything else you would like to tell us? Just a guy trying to make the world a prettier place.
What is your favorite Emoji? The laughing one with tears.
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Depends the beach

I’m a complete noob to SketchUp and am trying out a free trail of SketchUp Pro to see if I can get anywhere with it before making a purchase. No professional background, I’m just a homeowner who wants to build a few structures on my property and I thought SketchUp would be a good way to convey my ideas to builders so that we are on the same page.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’m Florent and I live in France, I’ve been using Sketchup for work for about three years.
It is my daily work tool.
I make building permit files, plans and landscape insertions.
I have a decent level on Sketchup and what I prefer are renderings with Vray!

Hello florent,

I use AutoCAD to SketchUp for my landscape designs, and then render with Lumion.
I get around pretty good in AutoCAD but would not consider myself an expert with either SketchUp or Lumion, but they sure are a lot of fun. The one problem I do have is that it is hard to limit my grandson’s time on his video game called Fortnight whenever he spends the night when I am at my desk working (?) on my own computer programs (games).

I hope that all is well with everyone and everything in France, and best of luck with your designing.

Ashton

I am a retired I.T. professional. I was employed by various employers as a customer rep. to state and federal agencies across the Pacific North West, Dept of Education in China, and various companies in the PNW. I did design, analysis, programming since 1962. I have programed in many languages and methodologies. I actually designed a program that traced users code back when we wrote in assembly language. It was used with FORTRAN and COBOL to aid users in debugging.
So I am used to using programs,computers,smartphones etc.
I am also a DIY advocate and have build a 4000 sq ft house and remodeled many of our houses over the years.
I am currently using free Sketchup in remodeling an attic in our current house. In the past efforts I used large graph paper. Sketchup is a big improvement methodology!
I have looked at other free 3D modeling and found that Sketchup appeared to model the way I logically think.

Hi I’m Zoe, Im in the UK studying garden design and am relatively new to Sketchup. I used to be a language teacher so making a big leap into the unknown, but I like a challenge. I am studying online so home alone trying to get to grips with 3D modelling. Love gardening, singing and cycling and travelling the world.

Who are you?
I’m Brock from Boston, MA, USA

What is your industry and profession?
Instructor of Carpentry at North Bennet Street School - Residential Construction Industry

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Modeling lessons for my students and designing for personal projects.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
The ability to help a customer or student visualize a project as well as the ability to trouble shoot issues.

How proficient are you in SketchUp?
Intermediate.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
No.

What is your current set up?
MacBook Pro 2019 - OS 12.6.2 - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
No.

Anything else you would like to tell us?
I love showing my students the ways that SketchUp can help their work.

What is your favorite Emoji?
:rofl:

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
Yes, who doesn’t?!

1 Like

My name:
Nina
Hobbys:
Designing, singing, horse riding
language:
english
time zone:
GMT|UK
Used to design on:
Roomstyler 3D, (TOTALLY RECOMMEND)
Colour:
Lilac
Animal:
Horse
Hi guys!!!

Hi - Patrick from NE Florida. New to Sketchup - tried it a few years back for simple 3D printing parts fornRC planes. Wanted to have a desktop Mac version and was amazed to have to pay $299! Ah well. Figure I’ll have a year and learn it a bit then maybe drop back to something cheaper. Poor show to hit hobbyists like that though.

You can always use SketchUp Free instead.

Hi Patric,
SketchUp’s subscription is actually a very very reasonable price compaired to all other programs out there. As in hundreds per year verses thousands per year. It is about equal to 3 months average cell phone bill and has yet to make me want to throw it into the ocean.

1 Like

Oops! I feel for you! My bill is about 250€/year (G4, unlimited calls & data).

2 Likes

Yes I agree - for what it is it is amazingly well priced. It’s just I only use a few features but I want to use them on my Mac as a native app not web based - hence Pro :frowning:

Yes - I tried that but don’t like web based apps. The desktop with mouse and keyboard shortcuts seemed only available in $299 Pro or am I missing something? It is a great app and I thought that most of the tutorials are based on Pro. Also wanted to try the iPad version. If Trimble could just cut Pro down to basic with no extensions or clever stuff and put it out as a one-time payment I’d be very happy! (Tks for the help btw)

Generally, I see the current trend as one where vendors that are in a monopoly or oligopoly situation want to ensure a stable income not dependent on how they develop their product. It was started by Adobe and has spread across the spectrum. It stifles innovation.

Yes you are missing something, keyboard shortcuts are also available in the online version…
And then there is Sketchup Make which is just for hobbyists and non-commercial use.
Make is not offered for download by Trimble anymore but is still available if you search this forum.

2 Likes

Thanks - I’d be VERY happy with a basic Sketchup Make I think. Doesn’t seem to be available at Trimble. Can you help me find it pls? There seem to be a few sources but I’m wary of viruses. I just paid the $299 for this year while I learn (since most of the tutorials seem to be on Pro) but my needs are very basic. I nearly went to Blender but what little I have done on Sketchup was much easier. I was using Sketchup 2014!

Those seem to be the only sources available. There is no “official” or authorized source for SketchUp Make.

Hi
I’m a middle-aged Aussie mum trying to create my niche, in the Interior Design/ Building industry, in country NSW region.
I have used SketchUp on & off over the last 4-5 years. I mainly used it as I studied Interior Design & am now wanting to ramp up my knowledge to build my own interior design business. I have 2 previous editions of SketchUp (2020 & 2021) on my computer along with 2022, should I remove the other editions & will it affect my existing drawings??
Thank you, Jen.:blush:

1 Like