Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hello, my name is Ralph Bentley and I work at a transportation planning and traffic engineering consulting firm. I have been working in graphic design since before there were computers. I have been in my present position since 1992. I have been using Sketchup intermittently since it was a Google product. Most of my work is in the Adobe suite. However, I used CorelDraw beginning with version 1. Transitioned to Adobe sometime around 2006. Currently my job involves a lot of technical support for Word and PowerPoint. I use Sketchup mostly to create roadway cross section graphics. Non-work Sketchup has been woodworking projects. I am probably not going to provide a lot of Sketchup answers on this forum, since there are many who are far more experienced with the program.

1 Like
  • Who are you? Erin Cohen, interior designer and occupancy planner
  • What is your industry and profession? I work in the corporate office world and report up to the Facilities department
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I do renderings for work to show design intent
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…) I like that it integrates with CAD so I can import my existing drawings
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? I’m a beginner. I’ve modeled some furniture but am new to environmental renderings
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No, but I’ve gone through a few of the SketchUp Campus recorded trainings.
  • What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) Windows laptop with SketchUp Pro 2022
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? I do not.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) This seems a whole lot easier than making 3-d CAD symbols and rendering them in 2020 Visual Impression
  • What is your favorite Emoji? * Who are you? (show us those pearly whites :smiley: — to start, just one photo if you please )
  • What is your industry and profession?
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…)
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
  • What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
  • What is your favorite Emoji? the clown emoji
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? I prefer long kayak trips along the beach

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites )
Simon

What is your industry and profession?
Promotional Graphics Coordinator - Angling Direct (UK)

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
I’m currently learning to use the SketchUp to build new store models

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…)
New Store layouts

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
Beginner - only been using it for 3 days

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
Laptop - Windows 11

1 Like

hi - today the amount of objects that are available to me in the sketchup warehouse has massively decreased - has this happened to anyone else? does anyone know why / how I might fix it?

thanks Rosie x

Are you looking at the Producta or Models tab? The former is the default but usually has fewer hits than the latter

1 Like

Hi

My name is Naomi Kane I have been using SketchUp for many years on again and off so my proficiency is average.
I am having an issue with components. I have turned my models into components and some act like components, they are linked and if I change one all the rest change as well.
Then there are other models in the same drawing that I made into components, the outliner says they are components, but when I copy and paste they act like a group. When I modify one the rest do not change accordingly.
Anybody have any Idea what I am doing wrong?

Welcome!

Hard to say exactly without seeing your model file. Can you start a new thread and share it?

1 Like
  • Who are you? Sean. Hello, Everyone, just decided to try using the pro version of SketchUp.
  • What is your industry and profession? Now I’m working at a techno company but have an interest in SketchUp.
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Personally. I hope I want to get a freelance job in design by mastering the software.
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…) It is more affordable than any other 3D software as far as I’m concerned.
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Nope
  • What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) Tuf A15, AMD Ryzen 7, RTX 3050, 32 gb of RAM
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Not yet. That would be cool if I have it in the future.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) I want to be able to upgrade my proficiency on SketchUp
  • What is your favorite Emoji? :scream:
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? Yes, I love the beach

Hi, my name is Tim. I have SketchUp Pro by subscription. I have been using the program to draw floor plans for a new home I am planning to build soon. I have reached the point where I would like to print blueprint sized drawings and need help.

Hello, my name is Dewain and I live in Montana! Yes it’s cold.
I work as a Contractor, and currently designing a layout for the pallet racking and manufacturing.
I’m using SketchUp Pro(Subscription) with a MacBook Pro. Or trying to…

1 Like

Hi, i’m Kim i’m an artist and i use Sketchup most for backgrounds, etc., and i’m totally a beginner, glad to be here with you all!

Hey guys, my name is Bartholomew and I’m new here. Coming from IT background, and sketch up beginner - just starting out. I really have a crush on graphic designs (used to do great hand-drawing as a kid). Thanks

1 Like

Hello all,

I’m an old dog working on new tricks. Basically a home (hobby) machinist and amateur motorcycle racer building one-off parts and little trinkets. Bottom line, you need to draw parts out and “design” and document them in order to get repeatable results and most importantly correct issues that come up with the hobby machinist.

Full disclosure, in the past I’ve tried many different versions of drawing software. Over the last week, I’ve given SketchUp a chance (trial version) and after going through several tutorials it isn’t too tough to pick up the basics. I know nothing about CAD/CAM, drawing, and drafting, I’m just visualizing so I have a long way to go, but I am excited with how easy it has been to get to a “thing” with SketchUp.

I’ll apologize in advance for asking the same stupid questions, I did my best to answer both of these, but I don’t see anything basic and definitive.

First is there a slotted hole (button - similar to AutoCAD) or an easy way to draw slotted holes? For example they are used for bolt holes where either expansion or adjustability is required. I used two arcs, connected and connected them with lines. That may be the best way to do it, but I’m just curious.

Is there a small part template? And is the layout the thing I change to set me up to “print” a drawing of my object? For example, do I rotate it and create the view (like WYSIWIG) that I want then, print that or can the software create views for me and set the object I’ve created up to look like a drawing I can create a part from?

Again, apologize for the likely same question(s) asked many time.

I’m excited, this is going to be fun learning experience. I’m willing to read, listen, and watch and I can learn. Links will suffice; thanks for any information you can offer.

1 Like

Welcome and Happy New Year.

I started a new thread to answer your questions.

1 Like

Hello,

My name is Jonathan. I’ve been using sketchup for 2 years mainly self taught. I’m a general contractor and I want to offer 3d models of project I bid on and I really like 3d modeling. I’m on pro version and I really want to upgrade my skills.

Hello to all.
I’m a architecture student, and I enjoy drawing and papermodels. Scifi, military vehicles and vintage airplanes are also on the menu.
I have alredy “made” some things things sketchup, not really nothing difficult, more models mainly made with faces.
Cheers!

1 Like

`

1 Like

Hello,

I am a newbbie here. i hav no knowdlge on cad. just now starting. i m much interested in landscape designing. where do i learn this application before purchase. is there any online course for this application? like udemy, courseera etc. kinldy help me to learn this sketchup

Hey everyone. Mike here, another Mike. Been on SketchUp for close to 20 years but Layout only about 10. Never really “learned” the program but always got by. Thats all changing so glad this forum exists.

Who are you?Face for radio
What is your industry and profession? I’m own my own niche’ design firm. Cant talk about waht I do . NDA’s everywhere
Where do you use SketchUp?professionally
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?Origianlly, because I needed CAD and SKP was free, then One day I was in a meeting and the client started spewing out dimensions. I realized I was modeling almost as fast as they were talking. We left the meeting with a 3D ground plan. LOVE.
How proficient are you in SketchUp?advanced
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No but I wish I had time too.
What is your current set up?I have an Asus Duo Zen Laptop Maxed Out with a Huion 24" drawing tablet.
Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?No. I’m pretty private with what I do. Kinda have to be.
Anything else you would like to tell us? Just a guy trying to make the world a prettier place.
What is your favorite Emoji? The laughing one with tears.
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Depends the beach

I’m a complete noob to SketchUp and am trying out a free trail of SketchUp Pro to see if I can get anywhere with it before making a purchase. No professional background, I’m just a homeowner who wants to build a few structures on my property and I thought SketchUp would be a good way to convey my ideas to builders so that we are on the same page.

2 Likes