Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hello, RD Butler here. Staff and student at The University of Alabama. I work as a broadcast engineer (radio & TV). I am also working towards my degree. I use it at home and at the office on campus. I like being able to work in 3D to get a better vision of what my design will look like.

I am a struggling beginner-ish. I have created several projects just learning by doing. I have not gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp.

My setup: I am running SketchUp Pro on an i7 laptop (Windows 10). My favorite Emoji is a Memoji of me giving thumbs up.

I may be a student, but I am 60 years old, so long walks on the beach are not as much fun as they used to be. I have been told to take a long walk off a short pier once.

I like to be called Bob.

3 Likes

Hello. I’m J.D. Ray, a business analyst by profession and a designer of things by hobby. I’ve been using SketchUp on and off for about fifteen years, but there have been large gaps in my usage, so my skills are still fairly low.

I love that SketchUp is so accessible to people who don’t have a background in architecture, engineering, computer graphics, or whatever else. I have a technical background, so one would think that I would adapt to 3D modeling easily, but it hasn’t been the case… except for using SketchUp.

I’m currently without a personal computer, so am using the web version on my work laptop, hoping that Santa brings me a new computer (which will be a Mac) this year. My latest project is a small (3 m long) aluminum boat with an inboard electric motor, which I’m struggling with due to the complex curves in the bow area.

I’ve published a few models to the 3DWarehouse over the years. I think you can find them at this link: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/manage/user/1425478675712424022443498?nav=models#

My goal for the boat design is to create a design pattern that’s scalable from three to six meters for a boat that’s simple and easy to maintain.

My wife and I live in Oak Harbor, WA, USA, and walks on the beach are one of my favorite things so long as she’s with me. And my favorite emoji has to be :man_shrugging:

Cheers.

JD

My name is Clyde. Use Sketchup for drawings of Court Game Layouts

I am Clyde. Use Sketchup for Sport Game Layout drawings

Who are you? I’m Liam.

What is your industry and profession? I am currently an interior design student who hopes to continue into the interior design field.

Where do you use SketchUp? I use it personally at my home for school projects or personal projects.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I love how simple yet complex SketchUp is, just complex enough to intrigue me but simple enough to where I don’t get annoyed.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? I am intermediate level when it comes to SketchUp, I’d like to think I am more proficient than I am but I know I’d be lying.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No

What is your current set up? I currently have a custom built computer with a RTX 3080 FE graphics card. I am using SketchUp Pro 2022 version on Windows 10.

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Behance

Anything else you would like to tell us? Unfortunately, I haven’t seen a UFO so I don’t have much else to say.

What is your favorite Emoji? My favorite Emoji is : :pirate_flag:

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? I love walking the beach with my dog!

2 Likes

Hi!
I am Alex. Use Sketchup for freelance work

Hi
I am back from a long hiatus from sketchup but glad to be back
I use my chin to do all my drawings, . mainly drawing hoses hoping to get right into the rendering side of things… instead of house design like I was doing before

thank you
Shane

Hi, I’m Kieron. I’m a civil engineer (mainly water, and particularly stormwater now) and I’ve just headed out on my own after 25yrs in big consultancy. It’s scary!

I use Sketchup for designing, visualising and specifying in both my paid work and, when I can spare the time, DIY projects.

I’d say I’m an intermediate user. I haven’t been to a Basecamp. I don’t have a warehouse but I know roughly what it is and how it works.

I’m keen to learn much more about 3D scan processing, sandboxing, and generally representing the natural world well enough with minimum data. I’m on Mac OSX, and I’ve just bought an iPad with a LiDAR scanner. I have high hopes for it…!?

I enjoy walks, riding bikes, and several other gravity adjacent pursuits. I think sure, we need cars, but not THAT much :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Are you actually using the Free web version for your paid work?

• 'Who are you? Hello, Im Tracey
  • What is your industry and profession? I’m an interior designer/spatial planner,
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Both
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…) I use it to visualise my interior designs, as well as hopefully being able to use it for modelling for my 3d printer
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Absolute beginner
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No
  • What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] *(Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)*Intel(R) Core™ i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz,64-bit operating system, x64-based processor, Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, NVIDIA Quadro P2200.
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? No , afraid not yet
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? Yes

Hi I’m Mary Scanlan /Diamantina Design
I love Sketchup
I use it for Interior Design & Landscape Design
The only downfall seems to be ‘importing a land survey’ for a landscape design for council development application. I can import a DWG file but the text (spot levels) don’t come in. Showing the spot levels is a requirement for council plans.
Any solution to this ? (it needs to be a vector file)
Many thanks :slight_smile:

Heyyo I’m Keelan
I use SU for carpentry and as of recently 3D printing.
Up until now I’ve gotten away with just sticking to simple designs, basically straight lines and common angles. 3D modeling is starting to expand my need for a powerful design tool and look forward to learning more of what it can do!

1 Like

I’ve looked at SketchUp before but stumbled onto April Wilkerson’s 2 part intro videos. Hope reborn!

Retired pastor, wife, 2 sons & daughters-in-law, 6 g’children.
Been learning woodworking the past almost 10 years.

Am struggling, even with April’s vids.

Thus, I am HERE.

Bless y’all!

2 Likes

Hi Everyone,

My name is Lauren. I use SketchUp for interior architectural drawings and production design. I am an intermediate user. I haven’t gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp but am open to attending in the future. I don’t have a 3D Warehouse page but that could change someday. The beach is always a good idea!

2 Likes

Hay there my fellow SketchUp geeks (which by the way, I am very proud to be)
Just reaching out to say Hi from good Ol Montrose Colorado.
Thanks everyone for sharing and on raising the bar (no not liquor bar) on my SketchUp goals.
Oh ya…I am a landscape designer (40 plus years) with thinning white hair and live as stated above in
Western Colorado.
I currently am using LandFX, SketchUp Pro, and Lumion.
A quick shout out to my fellow designers in the Ukraine. I have a Ukrainian flag on my Livingroom wall to remind me every day to send letters to our government supporting continuing support to your country. Please stay strong.

2 Likes

Who Am I? A Sketchup user for about 10 years to assist in my woodworking projects for personal use. I am not in any business ventures just an old woodworker. I am retired from engineering at an appliance manufacturer. Why do you use SketchUp? To make models 3D that I can use to generate part drawings in 2D for use in my shop. I have been doing so for many years. How proficient in SUp? I’d say Intermediate. Done to 3DBasecamp? No never heard of it. My Computer type: Veriton M4550G Desktop-E78MGC3 Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5-8500 CPU @3.00GHz 3.00 GHz Installed RAM8.00 GB (I am an old dude and not computer savvy and I had to find out just where on the computer to find this info and I still do not know what I just typed in. Hope that’s OK. I do not have a 3D warehouse page with my model extensions. You all would not be very interested in the stuff I did. It was years ago mostly and there was not 3D warehouse at the time. EMOJI? Get real. It would be a very long walk before I could even get to a beach to have a long walk there.

1 Like

Hi there ! Just a little post to introduce myself. I’m Christopher from France. I work in a Drone-show company and i use sketch up Pro to make some layout for our show, depending on the location of the operation. I would say that i’m a intermediate user. I use Sketch up pro on a Macbook Pro 15", OSX 10.14.6. I do not have 3D Warehouse page.

Hi all, Kev here - Sketchup neewbie! Joiner with a decent setup inc 8x4 cnc. Just started using sketchup and getting my head around it. Very much a beginner, ive got curviloft, slicer and solid inspector but still having trouble. I’m hoping to export to vcarve to cut on cnc, I’ll post once i’m allowed to!!

Hello fellow Sketchup people!
My name is Soile, I’m from Finland and I would say I have intermediate Sketchup skills. Hope to learn a lot here, browsing the forum!
I use Sketchup for architectural and interior design drawing, planning and rendering with Vray.

Hi, I am a new user of Sketchup. I followed a short training, but still have many many questions…
I just found out I also need to work with Layout, to gain time. I don’t need a 3D model everytime. At the moment, it doesn’t work like that, I am totally stuck because i seem not to find the good way to work with it.
That is why i come here for help. It must be simple things i just don’t know…

I am sure i will learn a lot from you guys!