Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi all,
Firstly, I most definitely will not post a pic of myself!! I’m sure none of you deserve that slap in the head :slight_smile:
Who are you? - Just some bloke in Australia, Richard’s the name
What is your industry and profession? - currently unemployed, trying to reinvent myself and catch up on some projects around the house
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? - at home, personally… :wink:
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? - I can’t draw, very pretty logo
How proficient are you in SketchUp? have you got an option before beginner?
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? - no, I’m too shy
What is your current set up? - basic PC with GTX 760, lame now but kicked some a$$ a few years ago (yes, same route I took…)
Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? - no but as soon as I’m good enough, you’ll be sick of seeing my stuff
Anything else you would like to tell us? - Hmmmm?? :thinking: I’ve got a hernia that looks like the thing coming out of that poor dudes gut in ‘Aliens’
What is your favorite Emoji? - :disguised_face: incognito
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? - sure, why not… you never know what you’ll come across

Others usually call me Bob Stone, I’m 76 years old and retired following 30 years working in Public Health. I first experienced isometric drawing while in a grade seven drafting class some 60 years ago and I believe my interest in and aptitude for this perception of things honed my interest in school and greatly improved my self confidence. On the cutting edge of personal computers having owned a Radio Shack Colour Computer and a Vic 20 where programs were written in Basic which were stored on 5.25 inch floppy computer discs.
I was fortunate when starting my working career computers were just being introduced as a new tool, initially as word processors for clerical staff and then their use exploded at data handling and communication with the availability of the Internet. As computers use grew along with the technology my knowledge and experience made me the unofficial expert and champion of their use by my colleagues.
I worked my way through the many generations of Microsoft Windows and dozens of computer upgrades during which, years ago I hit upon the graphics program SketchUp. Well this combined my hobbies of drafting, drawing and computers. Unfortunately on retirement I moved away from Microsoft and joined the Apple camp and thereby losing access to SketchUp.
Essentially my most ambitious project and never more than a beginner level I utilized SketchUp to design my daughter and son-in-law’s basement in their condo. They have since moved into a new home which needs a basement design however I no longer have a desktop computer. SketchUp was not readily available until I read that Trimble was developing SketchUp for Apple iPad. On reading this news I quickly upgraded my iPad so it could utilize the Apple iPad Pencil to better facilitate the use of my hobby SketchUp. I await with great anticipation SketchUp for iPad.

Who are you? The last name’s too difficult to pronounce - just call me Jim.

What is your industry and profession? UI/UX development, but now playing with 3D modelling and designing the retirement house (wanted to be an architect long ago)

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? The pull-push boolean tool is such a game changer; makes it easier to focus on the object and not waste time in the toolset

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Rank beginner - it’s been a long while since I’ve last used it.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Not yet - might do.

What is your current set up? Just upgraded the home setup to an M1 Mac Mini, and after seeing a youtube vid on the (hopefully forthcoming) iPad beta, just took delivery of an M1 11" iPad Pro couple weeks back. (Yes, I’ve subscribed to the beta immediately months ago. No, not heard a word since).

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models… Not just yet - still tucked away on the Prusa site.

Anything else you would like to tell us? I’ve used SketchUp long ago, back when we both resided in Boulder (Foothills Parkway, hello!). Recently I’ve used it in the browser to create/refine a couple small 3D prints and it felt at once comfortable. Now I’m looking to get back into it to help in the layout/design for our final residence in my wife’s hometown near Lovena, on Bali. I’m hoping I can create something we both can agree on, and then turn over to an architect to review and finally, a builder.

What is your favorite Emoji? Bullseye or 8-Ball…depending on whether I’m ahead or behind.

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach? Did I mention Bali? (Our beaches are black!) We’re really looking forward to the iPad version, where we can pull and push rooms and terraces to our heart’s content (and alas, our wallet’s limit).

Yes. You can make topics and give tips. just look for the appropriate section in the forum. Not sure on your question of merging–if you mean in SketchUp, Yes you can combine models from different files. Just import the file. Or copy and paste .

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? Kyle

What is your industry and profession? Draftsman

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I use SketchUp professionally.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I can quickly draw something to show and spend more time and get as detailed as necessary to complete a complex project

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Advanced

What is your current set up? 5800x, 3080ti, 32Gb RAM @ 3600mhz; Laptop: MSI GE76 RAIDER

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? https://cnc.builders Homes I’ve designed. Latest House Video:

5 Likes

Hi my name is Parker. I am a retired architect. I put Lutyens buildings into Sketchup for my own pleasure.
I just upgraded my operating system to Monterey 12.3.1. and can no longer open my Sketchup Make drawings. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so is there a solution?

Which version of SketchUp Make are you using? Please complete your forum profile. Keep in mind that SketchUp 2017 Make doesn’t support Mac OS version that were released after 2017. It might work in Monterey but it might not. You could use SketchUp Free instead.

Hi im Suheir,
Im a girl, people usually get tripped up with spelling and saying my name :smile:
im an interior designer and I love and only use sketchup at the moment. im pretty much an intermediate level, looking to get better at it.
id love to go to 3D basecamp one day! Sketchup and modelling are pretty much all I think about, so im excited to be in this forum and share and learn!
thanks for welcoming me

4 Likes

Hobbyist. Various uses for Sketchup. Currently designing foundry patterns for 3D printing. These are for sailboat fittings. I have Pro on a Windows desktop.
I added the FredoCorner extension to do fillets and rounds. It works amazingly well for simple shapes. Curved shapes seem to cause problems. A typical response suggests that I reduce the blend radius. Would Fredo like to see one of these models?
Steve

Gorgeous walkthrough!

Thanks!

• Who are you? I’am Owen Mwenda from Nairobi, Kenya
  • What is your industry and profession? I’m in the AEC industry as an Interior Designer
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I use Sketchup professionally
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? The simplicity and intuitiveness it accords me on my projects
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? I would describe myself as an intermediate user having used the software for over 5 years
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No, hoping to be there this year
  • What is your current set up? I use a HP pavilion Core i5 with AMD graphics. My Sketchup Version being the 2019 version
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? In the works… Watch this space.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? I make pottery.
  • What is your favorite Emoji? :melting_face:
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? Never been to the beach but I have a feeling I would
2 Likes

Welcome.

Please correct your forum profile. It says you are using SketchUp Free (web) which evidently is not correct. Also add the graphics card model. That information helps us help you.

1 Like

Hi @DaveR ,

Thanks for letting me know. I’ve edited accordingly. I’m much looking forward to learning a bunch of stuff on these forums!

1 Like

I’m Sandra. I was born female and I am still female. I’m a retired engineer, 74 years old. I live in Ontario, Canada.

I’ve played with Sketchup occasionally for years. My new computer has no sketchup files. On my old pc (which has no internet connection) I see Sketchup8, sketchup15 and 17. I am certainly a beginner as I will have to relearn everything I ever knew about Sketchup.

I use sketchup to model and remodel my house virtually. It’s like playing a game to me. Someday perhaps I will remodel my house in real life,

I play guitar.

5 Likes

Hello from France,
New to this forum and to Sketchup as well.
I am using it to design my future house :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fantastic work…I’ new in Sketchup. I having a problem…my computer started turning of randomly after I sign in …My computer is new with Quadro T1000 - I9 10940 - 32GB memory.
Have you heard of this before?
Thank and sorry to ask you about that…But I want on day be close to do what you do…that is why I paid 4,000.00 in this computer…is very frustrating.

1 Like

Beautiful model… well done… you should post in the corner bar section where you might more exposure for help

we all would :slight_smile:

perhaps you would like to share your models on 3d warehouse?