Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hello
I’m Jenny W from South Africa, an architect by training and recently retired from a job where I was programme manager for infrastructure delivery. I come from the era of the drawing board and have since used CorelDraw and Visio when a computer graphic was needed. A few years ago I started trying out SketchUp. It’s been sporadic and slow… Whilst I’ve spent many hours and produced some passable drawings, I’m still very much a Beginner. Now I have more time and would like to get better at it, so that it doesn’t take me so loooong to do simple things.
:pleading_face:

3 Likes

Hello, I am Norm and I am a retired educator from Aberdeen, Scotland, taking to woodworking and keen to learn Sketchup. My learning curve to get this far has been … let’s say - challenging. But, I am trying to travel optimistically and believe my issues are just teething problems and all will be worth it in the long run. I am using a trial version of the software for the moment, but I am looking to buy in once I feel I can get to grips with it. I prefer (normally) desktop apps over web versions, hence willing to buy in if I can get me head around things with confidence. Cheers!

3 Likes

Hi, I am Marc and I’d like to learn how to design and build things with SketchUp. So far I think it is an amazing and intuitive tool. As soon as I have learned the basics I would like to introduce SketchUp at my school as I am a teacher. I would like to offer students a class where they can learn creative thinking and working if they wish to.

5 Likes

Who am I? I’m Kaiden Hilditch - a hobbyist.
What is your industry and profession? I aspire to be an architect. But am too young to be any of the careers that the pros use SU for :stuck_out_tongue:
Where do you use SketchUp? I use it personally, making projects to build up a portfolio for the future as well as designing things for family.
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I use SU as it’s the first modeling program I found that has a free option. I absolutely love the “Follow Me” tool :slight_smile:
How proficient are you in SketchUp? I’m a beginner in intermediacy, if that makes sense.

• Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? I have not, being based in the UK, although I would love to one day.
    What is your current set up? I use a Windows 10 Home 64x laptop,
    Intel Core i7-10750H
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti
    512GB SSD
    16GB RAM
    4K UHD display

I use SU Make '17.

• Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
    I’ve published one model to the warehouse and will probably post more over time.
    Kaiden H. | 3D Warehouse
    Anything else you would like to tell us? Nope.

• What is your favorite Emoji? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? I don’t live near one but when I’m near one, yes I do!

2 Likes

There is a free app, Make '17. Find it here: https://sketchup.com/download/all

3 Likes
  • Who are you? * What is your industry and profession? I’m an arts student.
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? For class!
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…) It’s not too hard to pick up!
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner.
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No, I wish!
  • What is your current set up? Windows 10, Sketchup Pro
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Maybe in the future.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? Looking for mentorship if anyone is open to it!
2 Likes
  • Who are you? I’m Daniela, a SketchUp lover.
  • What is your industry and profession? I’m an architec and instructor. I teach about drawing and softwares for Interior Design, Landscaping and Architecture.
  • Where do you use SketchUp? To teach others!
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? *Because it’s so friendly!
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? I’m a professional. I been worked with SketchUp since 2004!
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No, I’m from Brazil and I don’t have the opportunity yet.
  • What is your current set up? Windows 10, Sketchup Web! My instructor 2020 version expired and because of the economic situation here in Brazil I don’t have money to get another license, even with discount!
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Sure! My blog and portfolio Arq. Daniela Hladkyi (sorry I don’t have updated my works) and my recent Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH9Jd4FasbDbW3W5uUp5fpg
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? Looking for a way to make an online educational business viable.
3 Likes

Hello, I am Mark Shaw. I am a technical writer for a major EDA firm in the US, but the important thing is how I use SketchUp. I am a judge in the dog sport of Barn Hunt and I use SketchUp to design my courses. There are at least two other Barn Hunt judges who use SketchUp for this purpose. These courses consist of very simple objects that represent floors, boards, straw bales, and the like. I like SketchUp for this because it allows me to see my courses in three dimensions.

I would call myself an intermediate user without a lot of depth. I’ve been using Sketchup for about seven years, but as I noted above my needs and designs are very simple.

I have not gone to a 3DBasecamp, whatever that is!

Setup is Windows 10, SketchUp Pro version 21.0.391. I do not have a warehouse page. Here is a typical example of what I do with SketchUp - the green, blue, and red boxes are straw bales and the gray-and-white checkerboard is the floor for a Barn Hunt ring.

3 Likes

Bonjour,
Je m’appelle Dominique j’ai 67 ans et j’ai fait réalisé le plan de mon appartement. Cet appartement est à rénover et j’ai déjà un plan avec Homebyme.
Mon expérience professionnel est industriel et financière et mon niveau est technicien.
Je vais donc utiliser SketchUpp en tant que particulier.
Je souhaite piloter les travaux et proposer des plans aux artisans afin qu’il comprennent ma demande et qu’ils puissent chiffrer un devis.
Je ne suis pas compétant à son utilisation mais je sais que je peux apprendre car j’ai une expérience traditionnelle en dessin industriel ( 5 ans avec les méthodes de 1975) j’ai l’espoir de me mettre au courant rapidement dans la mesure où j’ai déjà une vision en 3D.
Pour la partie distraction des dernières questions là n’est pas mon objet puisque ma distraction sera d’apprendre l’utilisation de SketchUpp.
merci de votre retour
Dominique

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Eric. I am relatively new here (a couple of weeks). I have worked in Architecture or related fields for over twenty years. I have worked mostly in a production capacity. I primarily use Revit and AutoCAD than more design oriented tools like SU. I have only been using SU for about three months.

I was laid off last October. I am trying to start my own business with some contacts and the skills I have acquired over the years. I have been interested in 3D since college and have made efforts to develop my skills in that area at work and outside of work. I post here mostly my hobby work. Projects I work on of personal interest or for developing specific skills.

I like SU, because it is very fast for me. I can quickly model a building, person, or a tree. Also, I like the clean interface. It seems very simple to me. I like simple. I guess that is why I like modeling low poly when possible.

My first step into computer graphics was with the Apple IIe way, WAY back. I used LOGO programming to create an image on the screen with flashing graphics. It was only 2D, but a start…so many years ago.

5 Likes

hello, I’m from georgia, 45 years old, i’m beginner and want learn this software for myself, and in future maybe designed for my friends, relations

2 Likes

Hello,
I started using SketchUp when I was in college in 2014. I mainly used it to design film sets and other projects. After college and couple years later I have come back to SketchUp and realized how versatile this software is. I now mainly use SketchUp for professional use, sometimes it doesn’t feel like pro usage because I really like to design so it just becomes more fun. SketchUp has so much offer to anyone looking to get into 3d modeling and with that I don’t know where I fall on skill level, in the grand scheme things I’d call myself a intermediate user but still with tons more to learn. I have never attended a 3D basecamp, although I used to get emails all the time about them on my old edu email. My current setup is as follows: i7-9700k, 32gb 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance ram, EVGA RTX 2070 Super BLACK, MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon, and dual monitors for ease of use. It was built with PC gaming in mind the 3d modeling came later. Anything else, I like rock climbing, and road trips in my free time.

4 Likes

Bonjour à chacun,

je suis arrivé hier sur mon premier Forum.
ok je me suis présenté.
j’ai vu les derniers arrivant.

Salut donc à
mnshaw,
eric.hendee48,
katilina,
XeroLimitz,

Pour les autres c’est un salut à la ronde.

voilà je souhaiterai etre accompagné pour faire les premiers pas.
ex : découper un mur et y mettre une porte et que ceci soit réalisable et transposable pour que je puisse le faire dans la réalité.
Il est bien entendu que ces premiers pas seraient suivis de petit parcours pour avancer à la rénovation de l’appartement que je dois rénover.
je dois m’habituer à gerer les groupes d’objets pour rester en ordre.

je suis pret à partager mon plan pour ce faire et ainsi avoir un partage de savoir.

2 Likes

Hello, i’m from Argentina and my name is Fernando, I recently finished a “curso de sketchup” for starting to model in 3d!

3 Likes

add Georgian Hello, გამარჯობა (Gamarjoba) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi, I am 77 years old and new to Sketchup maker 2017. I downloaded the program, but in error I did not load the License. How do get a license, do I unload the program and start over over? I have tried all the program on this and have had not luck.

2 Likes

There isn’t a license required for SketchUp 2017 Make. The program will start with a 30-day trial of SketchUp Pro but will revert to Make after that.

2 Likes

Bonjour,

Professeur de Technologie au collège Emmanuel de MARTONNE à LAVAL, département de la Mayenne en FRANCE.

Mes cahiers de texte sont disponibles à l’adresse https://martonne.net

Administrateur de Gsuite éducation depuis 2007 via martonne.org

Usager de Sketchup For school pour les scénarios : Modéliser un Trophée et Déconstruire pour reconstruire un #CollègeDurable Maquette virtuelle et maquette réelle

Présent sur les réseaux :
Linkedin via Patrick RICHARD - « Tissons une fibre optique pour l’éducation en Europe ! » - Europe | LinkedIn
Twitter https://twitter.com/RICHARDpatrick_

Merci à Trimble de nous offrir, élèves et professeurs, SketchUp pour les écoles.

Patrick

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Sophie Norris from Bowden, United Kingdom

2 Likes

sweat_smile: My name is Ironnah Sydney Mazi, a Nigerian, a planning Engineer. I been in the Offshore/ Onshore industry for some years as a planner. I want to teach myself sketchup. I am just a beginner.

2 Likes