Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi Guys, I’m Zane, very much a newbie to this. My boss has asked me to do find a course to learn Sketchup hence why I m here. I have learnt a bit though You tube however want to go and do a course so nay help would be very much appreciated.

1 Like

My name is Glenn Smith. I am an interior designer in the Greater Seattle areas. I have retired early due to the last recession when we were forced to close our office. However, now I want to continue working with other professional to assist there clients with SketchUp visuals. I am currently getting back up to speed and attending a Podium Class in 2 weeks to provide a better and expanded products base.
I have an issue at the moment and contacted Matt Donley (mastersketchup.com) for assistance. I sent him a screen shot of my issue and he said that it was probably a Bug, and that I should contact the Forum. Issue: my select/pointer tool gives me a multilined box, instead of just a clean line surround, when I go to highlight an object. I have included a screen shot of the issue. It has the appearence of a graphics card or the like.

SketchUp PrntScrn.pdf (307.3 KB)
Thanks for the Review, Glenn Smith, photo included.
bsb1485@gmail.com

2 Likes

I am Bob from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada and am a retired high school Mathematics teacher. One of my hobbies was to make wooden toys for my grandchildren and friends. I now plan to make them for a “Kid’s Ability Centre”. I have been using Sketch-Up for several years to get accurate drawings of my projects with measurements to aid in the construction. Being able to print the drawings with different perspectives is great. Not a very sophisticated use of Sketch-Up but very useful to have professional accurate drawings.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Thomas Schenden. I’m currently working as a technical writer, but have lots of design experience including retail POP design, real estate sales office design, graphics, sculpture and related hobbies and projects.

Total amateur here. I’ve followed through a few of the Sketchup tutorials for the eval version and have been pleasantly surprised by the results. Sketchup seems to be a very effective design tool.

I’d like to do some landscape design and am curious if Sketchup is well-suited for that or not.

I work on a 24" iMac.

1 Like

Hello, folks. I’m Loren Miller, I’m a 67-year-old independent filmmaker, editor, and software reviewer targeting content creators in my field.

I use SU personally and professionally, to design furniture and objects, spaces, film settings for production logistics, and film story previz, Some examples can be seen animated on my YouTube channel, neotrondesign.

My favorite thing about SketchUp are inference lines. (And a lot more.)

I consider myself an intermediate user. I actually owned a pair of SketchUp socks, lost to the fire. I have rescued my SketchUp cap.

I’ve never been to an SU 3DBasecamp. Has somebody modeled it?

Currently I work on a Mac Pro 2009 8-core, 32GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1 GB VRAM. Trimble SU 2015 is working fine on this machine, in OS X 10.11.6.

I have reviewed SketchUp for many years, but had to stop when I was burned out of my small condo in 2015. Lost all computers- mostly to fire department water. Such things happen. Getting back on my feet. Insurance helps. Expect to get back into my home soon, but the construction process is slower than SketchUp. Meanwhile, I’ve used SketchUp regular as a therapeutic tool-- to redesign my rebuilt condo down to 1/16" of an inch, and expect to move back in soon and make the renovations real!

My favorite emoji? The classic smile or frown.

Walks on the beach? No. But I enjoy the beach!

1 Like

Hello! I’m a vagabond but I wannabe an architect! Designing an adobe house. Real simple! Most of you would already be finished with my project by now!

1 Like

Who are you, who, who?
Name is Gisele Zeitler, also known as Gigi

What is your industry and profession?
I am retired (and busier than ever!), but I was a contract/corporate interior designer and space planner, also a draftsman for two architects, and studied architecture for one year at NJIT in a graduate program leading to a professional degree.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Personally – for so many things… it’s just a blast! I designed my almost 4000 sq ft home before I had even learned to draft professionally, and it was built. After learning the rudiments of SketchUp (had AutoCAD under my belt already), I naturally did the entire house on it, also! Then designed a fantasy expansion for it – just for fun! Just because I could! After I retired, I moved to upstate NY and have converted a church in which I live. Naturally I did the entire interior on SketchUp! Professionally, I believe there were one or two projects I did on SketchUp before retiring in 2005. I retired young due to illness.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
What’s not to LOVE!!! You can model everything in 3D, view it from all sides as well as inside, walk around it, fly around it, crawl around it and through it… You can invent things that don’t exist – you can be as creative as what’s inside you… shall I go on?

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
I would have to say intermediate. I should be further along, considering how long it’s been in my life, but I have so many other interests, as well. I’m also a fine artist/portrait painter. I do digital graphics and photo editing, as well as video editing (and will do more with new computer!). I love woodworking. I sew and craft and make things. I do volunteer work for our local library and museum. But SketchUp holds a special place. Currently doing models of said library and museum – we are expanding!

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
Not physically, but have seen the videos in the past!

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.543
Puget Systems PC, good for digital graphics, video editing, and SketchUp, of course! Intel CORE i7 Extreme 6950 x 3.0 GHz (3.4-4.0 GHz Turbo) 10 CORE; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB; lots of other good stuff so as not to let me down with all I demand of it!

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models?
Yes, I had to make much of my furniture when I couldn’t find anything suitable in the Warehouse, so I put the things I made in there, too. Gigi Z. | 3D Warehouse

Anything else you would like to tell us?
There is so much, but while interesting, it’s largely irrelevant to SketchUp.

What is your favorite Emoji?
I made a whole series of girl emoticons and some cat emoticons, as well as a couple of Viking emoticons (long story). They were all animated – I was particularly fond of the ones expressing emotions you never see: an amused, quizzical look; a deep, grateful bow; thoughtful pondering followed by a big smile, etc. When we all went to 32 bits, they became huge and fuzzy. Will have to see if they’re convertible or have to be redone.

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
NO!

2 Likes

Hi guys, my name’s Michele and I’m a totally beginner using Sketchup…
I would like to create simple 3D items (for 3D printer) for my hobbies, but I’m having some troubles I hope to solve soon. :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

I do that now . . So any major problems printing ask me I have a Geeetech I3 Dual Extruder 3D Printer to play with …

1 Like

My name is Shyamal Kumar Bag. I am from India. I am a Mechnical Engineer graduated in 1970. Presently running Mining Consultancy. For our job Geo referencing the location in Google Earth & creating contour is very important. I am also using other software by which KML file can be taken to AutoCAD. However, Sketchup is very useful for making 3D model & it can be placed in Google Earth. This can create a very good visualisation. I am almost a beginner. I am mainly interested to learn how georeferencing, contouring & modeling can be combined. Good video tutorial shall be very helpful. I would also like to know whether developement drawing can be prepared from the models e.g, pyramid, cone etc.
Thanks & regards,
Shyamal

1 Like

Hello, my name is David. I live in Monterey, California, United States. I have been “playing” with Sketchup for awhile now and love it. I am a Marketing Director for a local Landscape Company and I too on the role of Project Designer. I have no formal training and have been using Youtube and Michael Brightman’s book, “Sketchup WorkFlow for Architects” Practice Makes Perfect…Let’s build something

1 Like

Hi I am Vincent.
I am a specialty subcontractor dealing with architectural sheet metal work and other related specialties. I decided to learn Sketch Up because I can see the wonderful potential it holds for producing crisp and appealing documentation for many of the project we get involved with. That is…if I am successful at absorbing the program in a meaningful way!!!
I am having a lot of fun just learning my way around it right now. I have tons of questions and have gotten my info from tutorials and videos offered by S-U so far.

1 Like

Who are you? Hi, I’m John Dunn.

What is your industry and profession? I’m a graphic designer, and make retail signs.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I use it professionally.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I use Sketchup to visualize how signs look in our stores. Sketchup helps develop foldable signs, and I like that I can export files I can use in Illustrator. I include renderings in store directives on how to implement our sign-kits. I’ve started using Sketchup to pre-visualize new store layouts of fixtures and concept new fixtures. It’s been fun to see the demand increase for renderings and store walk-throughs.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Hmmm, I model quickly. My models are more efficient then a year ago, and I dabble with dynamic components. I use imported DWG plans, but am not experienced with creating landscapes. My worlds have been flat.

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.
Sketchup 2017
iMac
Processor: 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
RAM: 32 GB
Two Monitors
2 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB

Do you anything you want to share?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJZiOzSZvQ8&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X97Imv8Et68

3 Likes

This is a late introduction as I’ve been creeping around the forums for a while now. Maybe someday I’ll post something other than this.
Hi there may name is Ron and I’m a scenic designer for live theater. That is, I design scenery for live theatrical productions. I am based in the San Francisco Bay Area and have been doing so professioinally for 35 years now. About eight years ago, after learning that a new license for the CAD program I was using was going to cost me several thousand dollars, I began searching for a more economical alternative. Sketchup was the answer and I haven’t looked back. The introduction of the companion program, Layout sealed the deal. I can create pretty pictures to show my clients in Sketchup Pro and provide the shop with the drawings they need to build with Layout.
If you get a chance to go to a Basecamp, GO! I attended the one in Colorado in 2016 and learned more in those few days there, than I did in the years spent self teaching. The access you have to the Sketchup team, other professionals, and users of the program at Basecamp is invaluable. Definitely going again in 2018. Hope to meet you there!

1 Like

Hi
New forum member here. Making recording studio furniture to house mixer, 19" rack gear, monitor soffits etc. Pretty much a DYI/Sketchup noob, but have basic+ woodwork/power tool skills.

Looking forward to learning at the feet of the Masters.

Lumpo

1 Like

Hello,

My name is anthony i am new to sketchup. I have been trying to design a 3d model of a vape mod i am making and i have it done and even printed one but i cant get rid of my nested instances to make it a solid component thats why i made this account to ask for help.

Thank you in advance

1 Like

I’m Mwool, retired and beginning to play with sketchup to plan new landscaping for my yard. The project should be pretty simple – I’m hoping to be able work on a plan view and layer grids over the new area to locate trees, shrubs, and smaller plants, and maybe also show the plant spread at different heights (say ground level, 4 feet up, 12 feet up). Maybe a corresponding elevaton view? I’m just using SketchUp Make – on a mac, OS Sierra 10.12.3. I keep thinking there must be an app or extension that will give my symbols and maybe planting spacing for various types of landscape plants? (Shouldn’t this be easy?)
Anyway, I’m having fun with the program, but don’t want to get sucked in to spending hours and hours… Suggestions welcome.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Will, I own a plastic company in Ca., I am/was a growing SU user for my business. It has helped tremendously and then the other day I went to get a project done and just getting rid of that guy on the starting SU field took a very long time—
All other actions are just as bad or Worse!
A 1 minute simple box can now take 15 minutes, I am freaking out!!
I have a SurfacePro and SU-2015 has been a tremendous tool to my business for the last 2 years…flawless, but now…Click…Freeze…Click…Freeze-
I filled out the SU tech support form, that was 4 days ago, and nothing-
Anybody Please Help!

1 Like

Will (aka @plastic1)

Given that you’re on Windows 10, I think it’s likely you’re one of the many victims of a bad Window’s update:

Microsoft has release an emergency update to fix the problem. I suggest you trigger an immediate check on your Windows updates. Settings → All Settings → Update & Security → Windows Update. Once there, click on the “Check for Updates” button.

1 Like

Hi
My name is Jim. I am a retired engineer and have been using SketchUp for many years primarily in woodworking design.

1 Like