Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi, everybody.

My name is David and I am a hobbyist coder, web developer, and blogger. I could be considered a brand-new user of SketchUp. The last time I used it was about 3 years ago; I created some graphics for my blog, learned just enough to get the job done, and then didn’t touch it until now (enough time to forget what I learned). I presently have three or four more blog posts planned for which I will need some graphics; hence, my foray back into SketchUp.

I have SketchUp 8 (the free version from 3 years ago) on my computer. I don’t need a lot of bells and whistles; SketchUp 8 was sufficient to accomplish what I wanted, which is to illustrate some mathematical concepts. Remember conic sections from high school (circles, parabolas, ellipses, hyperbolas)? My blog is presently going through an analysis of these conics starting from the very basics–the conic section. The rough plan is to create a graphic showing a parabolic section. The next post is to generalize the concept to solids of revolutions. And then to examine a particular solid of revolution.It involves a lot of math, and will probably take a bit of time.

1 Like