Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi! I am an architectural drafter and have been for 10+ Years. I remember learning Sketchup when it was “Google Sketchup” in college and I hated it :grimacing: I was (still am) a hardcore AutoCAD fan and that is what I learned first! Currently in a position using Sketchup again after yeaaaaaaaaaaars of not using it.

I’d say I’m intermediate with skills, definitely not a pro, but I am learning every day. I did utilize a lot of the online courses via Sketchup’s website and they are very helpful!

I am attending Basecamp for the first time this year!! :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

Hello Community,

Shaneroo here. I am a visual arts teacher in Los Angeles and will be teaching a new course, Architecture and Innovative Design. Students will be drawing floor plans often and I hope SketchUp is good for this. Simple 2D floor plans that can become 3D if we choose. Will keep in touch with this forum and wish all success.

Shaneroo

1 Like

Hi! Now that I’ve been getting acquainted with the forum and have experienced the willingness to help here, I feel comfortable enough to introduce myself. I’m Babs and I’ve been introduced to SU many, many years ago. I only used it for small furniture designs and simple construction drawings so a joiner (or even I myself) could build it.

I have since revisited SU in many of its forms and versions to design more furniture pieces for our house as well draw interiors for ourselves and for some of my office spaces.

Presently, I have switched careers from webdesign/development to interior design – something I have wanted to do for a long, long time. So now, I started using SU professionally and have finally allocated a lot of time to really ‘dig in’ to this wonderful application and all its features. I’m no pro (yet) but I am starting to feel very comfortable in it. I feel more proficient in SU and Layout than I did in VW even though I was trained in using the latter. I have completed all but 2 courses in SU Campus and had a lot of fun doing them. I also developed this habit where I watch one or two SU Skills videos on YT while enjoying my morning coffee.

I’m looking forward to learning more and more of SU – both through doing as well as through learning from all the wonderful people here on the forum. Hopefully, one day soon I will be proficient enough to help someome else in turn.

B.

5 Likes

Hello Members, Jack Robinson joining you all.

I am a Semi - Retired Senior Citizen, a practicing Servant of God. I am not a religious fanatic, it’s all about choice. Just old enough to focus on my Soul more than my Flesh and Bones.

Life’s journey had me working at 14 as a landscaper at my school, a paper boy in the neighborhood, an a deckhand on a small shrimp boat. I earned a Certification in HVAC. Devoted 20 years to it. Then I went back to school and earned a Bachelors in Computer Science. That help me with a higher starting pay and the ability to have Cash Flow. Communications career lasted for 20 more years starting in Fiber Optics. Then migrating to building Cellular Base Stations and Cell Towers as a Construction Manager in the Wireless Communication Industry.

Currently I just bought a lumber milling machine, some land and plan on taking timber off the land to build small mobile shelters.

This journey brought me to SketchUp.

My Favorite thing about SketchUp is price.

If all goes well, and God wills it. I will be able to generate a drawing package an Architect can certify.
A certified drawing package should help me with getting permits for my plans. SketchUP should cut the expense of an Architect doing the CADD work to generate a certified drawing package.

Have a great day and a better tomorrow,

Jack

3 Likes

That’s awesome :slight_smile: Good luck with our endeavours!

Hi
I’m Hein Zaw Htet, 24 and CAD Operator. I started learning SketchUp a while ago and I think it is nice software both for who works at office and who works on ground. By the way,I’ve been trying to use VR Sketch plugin and I can’t validate my key. If there’s anyone who can help, please give me some advice.
This is my post link VR Sketch cannot contact license server

I am a 95 year old retired EE and software engineer living in a retirement community.
We have a nice wood shop and I often us Sketchup to provide plans for projects we undertake.
I do not consider myself highly skilled in Sketchup but am a notch above beginner.

recently, my Win10 PC crashed and lost all of my apps. I have not been able to get SU 2017
reloaded back on my PC. I still have on another old machine working fine with SU 2017 but I want it on
my best machine. Is ther any way to get it back as an app?

If you look in the downloads folder of the ‘old machine’ you may find the .exe file you need to install 2017. If you have that file you can copy it to any computer you own and install it.
If you don’t have that someone may send you the file via a Private Message. I can’t at the moment but others may be able to.

Hey everyone, I am an architect and design enthusiast running a small practice in the Chicagoland area. I’ve been using SketchUp for almost 20 years now and I still prefer the interface and tools over some of the more “powerful” programs. I have some interesting techniques I’ve developed over the years and I’m starting to share my knowledge as an experienced experimental user. Here’s a personal project I started in an effort to showcase SketchUp’s performance capabilities as we dive deeper into an era of 3D printing:

Quite close to where I am - just east of New Haven. If you’re coming to 3DBasecamp, I’ll be there and speaking in fact on Match Photo.

Thanks for making your product library available in SketchUp form, not just Revit like a lot of other manufacturers.

[quote=“SketchUpTeam, post:1, topic:6944”]

• **`Who are you? Fibber

• **`What is your industry and profession? Homeowner

• **`Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Personal

• **`Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Easier than Visio! :soccer:
    Picture1

• **`How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner

Hello! I’m Kierstin :wave:t5:

inventor. designer. traveller. musician. scrabble enthusiast. amateur numismatic. nerd. other words…

I work at a design consultancy in brooklyn, nyc as a program director. we do cool things.

I use sketchup for interior design, woodworking schematics, invention, and just playing around. Would love to get more proficient (read: faster) so i can have greater applications in my day-to-day.

I’m a beginner (i’ll say) because as in all things, i love to learn, and love to challenge my notions of proficiency and mastery by always starting at the beginning. BUT i have tinkered with plenty a modeling and digital design software/platform, so i am probably more proficient than the ABCs…

This is my FIRST 3DBasecamp and I am BEYOND stoked. Can’t say it plainer than that.

I have a MacPro running Monterey, Sketchup Pro and an Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB card. I have never actually built or made a machine specified for animation use, but who knows… maybe this experience will inspire change.

I don’t have a warehouse page (i am not generally a “sharer” of my graphical work… until it is exactly as i want it. maybe this bootcamp will make me better about that :smile:)

My favorite emoji is :joy: because it is the most accurate expression of what i am likely doing 45-55% of the time (i love to laugh). When the interwebs was but a baby and emojis were still catching on, i used to articulate me laughing out loud at something as “als;dkfja;dflkjasdflkasdfl;kjasdf;lk” because i felt it was a good way of capturing the extemporaneous and random nature of actual laughter. (Good thing I wasn’t on the team who came up with acronyms…)

I live: in nyc, but i consider myself a citizen of the world: born in the south, grew up overseas, have passport will always travel
I love: long walks on the beach… in aruba, meeting people, movies, animation/comics, sci-fi anything, people who love sharing what they love, newness, learning, and just about everything
I am passionate about: design as a force for equity, equality and behavioural capacity building, in how create, collaborate and engage with each other to make a better world
I am working on: mustering up the courage to actually defeat all divine beasts and save hyrule before botw2 comes out (i am freaked out by the blood moon, and things jumping out at me) :point_left:t5: those of you who get this reference, let’s be friends :joy:

Looking forward to seeing y’all in a few weeks!

4 Likes

Hey. I used to have an account on this forum years (decade. a solid decade) ago, as student.

Guess I’ll have to restart fresh as a professional.

• Who are you?
    Pierre. aka AtelierNab. or just Nab. I’m French.

• What is your industry and profession?
    I trained and graduated as an architect in France and Germany, then moved toward 2d graphic design. Since 2016 I’ve been teaching sketchup, almost full time since 2019. and I do 3d models for a couple of architects from time to time.

• Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
    on… on my computer, duh.

• Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favourite thing about it?
    to… to do 3d models ? I like it’s simplicity, the extensions, and the ability to do complex things still.

• How proficient are you in SketchUp?
    advanced. I’ve been using skp since 2007 and teaching it since 2016

• Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
    In the US ? no. of course, if you were to pay for the travel and lodging, sure, why not.

• What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.]
    Main machine is a mac mini M1 with 16Gb ram and a pair of screens (27 and 23). Secondary machine is a victus gaming laptop with an i5 (2,9 ghz?), 8Gb ram (for now) and an RTX 3050. Both run skp 2022. I’ve been on every versions since skp 6.

• Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
    I deleted my old crappy student account a few years ago, my current account has… one model for now on the warehouse, my desk. I plan on releasing more stuff on it, but it can’t be client suff (the architects and their NDAs…)
    on the side, you can see stuff I did on my website and instagram (@ateliernab)

• What is your favourite Emoji?
    :upside_down_face:

• Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...?
    no. I like cold weather. Well I guess yes, I like to walk on the beach in winter. yeah ok.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Peter. I live in Puerto Rico and am working on purchasing some land that contains a sacred mountain in the rainforest.

I needed to create some 3D models for the business plan and investors, so I hired a civil engineer who said that had lots of experience w Sketchup. Turns out that he did not have enough knowledge to help with my project. After a month of struggling, he finally gave up and returned my deposit.

Apparently round buildings, curved walls and a pyramid temple are a bit tricky and not so straightforward.

So I decided to do it myself. Bought a new gaming laptop and a free trial to Pro and I’m off to the races. Almost done w my first house. With the learning curve, it’s slow sledding, but I’m getting the hang of it. Although I find that measuring for the doors and windows is quite tedious. I don’t know if there’s an easier way…

Welcome @La-P , The forum is a great place to ask question and get help progressing with your modeling skills. You can always search using key words for answers as it’s highly likely that some else has had your same questions before. Or start a fresh thread with a specific question, there is usually someone knowledgeable hanging around from somewhere in the world at all hours to help out.

Don’t forget to fully fill out your profile with computer details and operating system as that information is crucial for getting relevant help.

Happy SketchUpping.

Welcome. Building massing is level one. Putting roofs on those massing models is level two. Putting doors and windows in is the next level. You may or may not find the Flextools extension your answer to doors and windows on a Schematic Design/Design Development level to be helpful, so you may want to take a look at that. I find terrain modeling to be quite taxing. Be ready for a challenge there.

Hi Im Karl
Im a Grade 10 Student we use this to learn for our future about designing and architecture.
I like making Buildings and also parts in free time ( Like Comtemporary Bungalow House)
since we are starting to use this application, We are only beginners ( Except for the teacher )
Nope, Not yet
I use Mid 2012 Macbook pro 13 Inch Intel i5Core 4GB RAM
Nope not yet, Someday
I was once a Sketchup Website user in Grade 8
:skull:
Yes

1 Like
  • **Who are you?Jerome
  • **`What is your industry and profession? Custom cabinet maker & remodeling contractor
  • **`Where do you use SketchUp? Professionally
  • **`Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? The ability to essentially build a cabinet before making any sawdust.
  • **How proficient are you in SketchUp?One or 2 steps beyond beginner after 10- 12 drawings
  • **Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No
  • What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] Pro 2022 on a PC
1 Like

bytesyze

Who are you?

• Beav
    What is your industry and profession?
  • Engineer
    Where do you use SketchUp?
  • Personally
    Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
  • Ease of use for quick 3D
    How proficient are you in SketchUp?
  • Beginner
    Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
  • No
    What is your current set up?
  • Windows 10 64-bit in home office
    Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
  • No
    Anything else you would like to tell us?
  • Eager to learn
    What is your favorite Emoji?
  • None
    Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
  • Probably