Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi Everyone! :slight_smile:

Who are you?

• What is your industry and profession?

Visual Artist

• Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?

I use Sketchup personally for my visual art.

• Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?

The reference/ locking interface while drawing is my favourite thing. Sketchup is quick and easy.

• How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?

Advanced I would say. But I can not write plugins. :slight_smile:

• Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?

Nope

• What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.]

A pc (no laptop) with the latest version of Sketchup

• Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?

Yes! I have two websites:

Citypixels - 3D visualisatie

• Anything else you would like to tell us?

I once modelled this 1,5 meter heigh scale model in Sketchup. It took me a looong time. :slight_smile:

• What is your favorite Emoji?

The one that vomits. I don’t know why.

• Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...?

Not really. :slight_smile:

• Who are you? My name is Henry Denny
  • What is your industry and profession? I work for the college I go to, I work as an engineering project assistant at University of Maryland, Baltimore County… or UMBC
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? professionally
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I have been working on a 3D model of my campus. I find using follow me or 3D extruders to be quite satisfying
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? nope
  • What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] One absolute unit of a computer, the Dell T7500, Windows 10, Sketchup Pro 2018…
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? I wish :cry:
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? Um…
  • What is your favorite Emoji? :grimacing:
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? Sure. As long as I don’t burn :rage:
1 Like

Hi, I am Smith Novel.

Doing own business apart of printing services.
Living in California.

I would love to explore the knowledge and world as well. I have visited 100+ countries and still visiting.

Looking forward to learn more at Sketchup.

1 Like
  • Who are you? My name is Letizia, 21 yo, from Italy :slightly_smiling_face:
  • What is your industry and profession? I’m a surveyor and I’m also studying graphic design
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I use SketchUp both professionally and personally. I use 3D models in my graphic design works and i work with an architect on exterior and interior design
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I love the fact that it’s so easy and intuitive to use. “Beginner-friendly” I would say :laughing:
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Intermediate I think :sweat_smile::thinking:
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No :worried:
  • What is your current set up? I have a 1 yo pc that I love so much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I just added a 4TB HDD so now I have a looot of space :money_mouth_face: My graphic card is an Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti and is my treasure :sparkling_heart: The SketchUp version that I use is the 2018 Pro
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? This is the link to my 3D Warehouse page: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/by/LetiziaCipriani I don’t post a lot, just when I feel like doing it
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) I leave the part in brackets here, just because is so accurate lol if you go to my 3D Warehouse profile you’ll just get what I’m talking about :rofl:
  • What is your favorite Emoji? All of them! But if I have to pick one, it’ll be this one: :star_struck:
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? Yes!! :ocean::parasol_on_ground::milky_way::crescent_moon::footprints::walking_woman:
2 Likes

I’m Byron, a corrosion geek from Cocoa Beach, FL. We use SketchUp Pro to depict structures that need repair and remediation. It is much easier to show a 3d rendering of “things” than to try to Autocad them…usually. We are presently only Sketching simple things put with practice will slowly grow into sketching the Eiffel Tower!

I just finished Bootcamp ATL and it was awesome. Could have easily stayed for another day or two.

Byron
h2ologged
SketchUpper

3 Likes

That’s great! Between Bootcamp, 3D Basecamp, and learn.sketchup.com, they are all great learning resources for the stuff you know you need to learn. Hang out here and you’ll learn the stuff you didn’t know you needed to learn until after learning it.

Selfi
William McDonald Here!
I am a carpenter, and I want to use Sketchup to design decks for homes.
My favorite thing about Sketchup is how if integrates with Google Earth. I hope to use this to show ideas to customers.
I am a beginner at Sketchup, so I’m playing catch up!
I’m working on an older laptop, and Sketchup is making me consider an upgrade.

2 Likes
  • Who are you? :no_mouth:
  • What is your industry and profession? Industrial design/exhibit design
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Both!
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? It’s fast.
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Intermediate-advanced (I know enough to know I have a lot to learn)
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Never
  • What is your current set up? PC at work, Mac at home, Sketchup 2019 on both.
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Nope.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? UFOs don’t exist. But if they did and I’d seen one I would totally model it and hope they don’t find out.
  • What is your favorite Emoji? :man_shrugging:
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Sure.
2 Likes
  • Who are you? Billy Dickler
  • What is your industry and profession? Healthcare. IT Field Services Lead
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? home but I’ve sketched my office for planning purposes.
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Its easy to plan wood working project or design objects for 3D printing
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? i know it enough to demo the built-in tools proficiently (I know enough to know I have a lot to learn)
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? I wish.
  • What is your current set up? PC at work, PC at home, Sketchup free on both. I have older versions still on my PC. Sketch if 17 Make.
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Nope.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? love wood working and developing practical objects.
  • What is your favorite Emoji? :ninja:
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? are you asking on a date?
1 Like

Hi I’m Nick and new to Sketchup. We design hotels internationally from the southern tip of Africa and sketchup is a great bit of software we use in the process

Looking forward to developing our use of Sketchup, personally using an MS Surface Pro

:footprints::south_africa:

2 Likes

Hello Sketchers! Ken here.
I’m a leader of technical (software development) teams, but that’s boring and I’d rather talking about fun stuff, like woodworking, which is my hobby. I use SketchUp to help me iron out the design flaws in cabinetry before ruining any timber, and to run ideas past my wife.

Very much a beginner, but learning fast. I’ve not attended any formal SketchUp training events, and not likely to, as I’m doing everything on zero budget. I run Sketchup Web on a Linux laptop. YouTube has taught me a lot!

The most frustrating thing I’ve come across so far is the inability to remap hotkeys or define new ones - for instance, I never use the tape measure, but frequently use the Dimension tool. It’s a bit of a PITA to break my flow, click the button on the left side, then select the Dimension one, then get back to where I started. Hitting D or shift-T or even just T would be so much quicker for me!

I look forward to leaning loads from the community, and eventually contributing to it.

4 Likes

My name is Ernesto Martin. I am 75 but refuse to retire. I own an engineering company in Venezuela and I live in Spain.

Since there is no economic activity in Venezuela I got seriously interested in 3D printing. I have used SketchUp for about 15 years mainly for designing solids processing equipment and whole plants.

Drawing 3D parts for printing is a very different matter, and -being familiar with SU- I started to explore its capabilities for handling complex shapes and meshes.

I discovered that SU is an excellent, competitive software if you get into the detail of both, native tools and plugins. And avoid large, irregular meshes! (as those produced by scanning equipment).

I use a Mac Pro early 2009 with Windows 7 (not compatible with Windows 10) with 8 nuclei (16 threads) and 32 GB of RAM, two screens; and an Asus I7 laptop. SU Pro 2016 runs very well on both. The Mac comes in handy when processing photogrammetry scans and other programs that require parallel processing.

And that’s about it. One more thing, I don’t like online programs, perhaps because it’s difficult to teach an old dog new tricks.

2 Likes

New here but not to computers. Was given a Finder and have done nothing yet because I dont know how to

1 Like

Hi, Im a graphic designer, I work for an education furniture supplier, having to branch in to 3D sketchup modelling for work.

3 Likes

hi, my name Martono, from south of Sumatra. i am a new comer and please advice me to make a good designer

2 Likes

So I am new to this blog and have started sketchup campus, only my pc cannot open the practice files. I am on windows 10 OS. any ideas?

Are you actually using SketchUp 2014 Make? If so, you need to upgrade. You could open them in SketchUp Free or upgrade to SketchUp 2017 Make. Both will open the files and are available for non-commercial use.

1 Like

Who are you? James R. Tew Jr.
What is your industry and profession? Just getting into Indie games.
Where do you use SketchUp? Use SketchUp from home.
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Use Sketchup because it was the second 3D software I learned. Favorite thing is how natural it is for me to use it and how accurate I can make the models.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Intermediate.
What is your current set up? Alienware R5 laptop, Samsung LED Monitor 24"(second monitor), Wacom Intuos 3, Alienware Elite mouse, Razor Kraken X headset, and WD easystore 2TB external SSD drive for backup storage.

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? None right now, Website is coming as soon as I get done making it.

Anything else you would like to tell us? Started learning SketchUp back in 2015, took a 3 1/2 year break and now back.

2 Likes

Is Sketchup 2017 free?

SketchUp 2017 Make is free for non-commercial use.

1 Like