I’ll ask one more time. Please share the .skp file so we can see exactly what you are working with.
Don’t soften, Hide.
And do as Dave says and attach the file so we can all stop guessing.
eghi_sketchup.zip (11.9 MB)
here’s the project file!
for me it look like jpeg or compression artifacts, how big are the images and do you use the maximum texture option?
I use the maximum texture option. The texture resolution of each texture is 954x1060. They are streched to make them fit in the tile.
I also tried to make them fit without streching them, but I have the same result.
Weird one, I have a patched version, still sussing whats going on exactly, its a function of darkness of the other side of the same tile in the texture. I nudged the images round to fix. Have to run but I’ll look into this more in a bit, or another will come along to figure out whats goin on.
eghi patch.skp (6.2 MB)
Thanks for your help. This seems to be an interesting problem haha
The darkness is an artifact of the importing process, I was not able to get rid of it yet, nor can I explain it yet either. I was able to merge the four images in a graphics editor (the darkened edges are not in the originals as you noted) then paint that larger image as a seamless texture across the four faces. I did notice that the aspect ration of the images and the size of your target surfaces do not match. Wish I had a more definitive answer right now.
Are you still having those dark edges though? Your way you showed would be a method, but it obviously doesn’t fit the tiles yet…
No, there are no dark edges when I paint a merged texture across multiple surfaces.
Yes, well this is what I was curious about. The images you have do not fit the surfaces you made. In your version you stretched the image in one direction to make it fill the surface, but this makes the dimensions depicted in the satellite image wrong I would think. You could resize the surfaces to fit the texture. If you know the surfaces are the correct size and you stretch the image to fit then you will have to know that measurements taken from objects in the image are wrong.
I’ve tried to build tiles where I don’t need to stretch the texture, but I still have the same result. Another idea I’m having is to stretch the images themselves in Gimp or photoshop to fit the tiles in SketchUp without having to stretch them in SketchUp. What do you think about that?
Try my method with the image I posted. Import the image as texture, stretch it across all the tiles, then hit return. The first tile will be painted with the texture, then sample that surface with the eye dropper and paint the rest. No dark lines. You can size the surfaces after to fit the image.
Hi I just tested your method and it works. However I need seperate textures for each tile in order to work with the flight simulator system. So my idea was making every texture in each tile a unique texture by using the ‘Make unique Texture’ feature. After testing this in the sim I see some different black lines at specific distances and angles, which is also visible in SketchUp as seen in the attached video.
Does anyone have a solution for this specific problem?
can you post the original full image or a link to it…
a png without alpha would be the best starting point for SU…
Here is the picture - I hope this will help to understand. What I did was softening edges between each tile ( the goal is to have seperate textures for each tile ) and then clicked ,make unique texture". The result are those black fading black lines at bigger distances and angles starting at about 30°.
What about reversing your workflow: make the textures unique before hiding or softening the edges. BTW, I would Hide the edges instead of softening them, as that doesn’t affect the shading.
Tried both methods but I still get the same result
Here is the SKP file if you’re interested ( the texture that’s used in empty copy is called ,combined’ )
eghi_2.skp (12.1 MB)
I erased the edges between one row of faces, painted the large face with the “combined” texture, positioned the texture to fill the face, split the face to four again, made the texture of each unique, painted a new row of faces with the new materials and lastly softened the edges between. This is the result:
I see no new artifacts. The image has old faint tiling where the original aerial photos have been stitched together but they have nothing to do with SketchUp.