We need a new category: Trimble Connect

Since Trimble Connect is being implemented in SketchUp Pro, more and more (support) questions derive from users.

• Trimble ID
  • Workings of the app
  • Possibilities
  • Feature Request
  • etc.

Perhaps it is time for a new category?
@jbacus @jody

3 Likes

I’m fairly certain it would get far more activity than the Sefaira Category!

Especially as Trimble Connect is the default file storage location for web based versions of SketchUp.

4 Likes

I agree completely. I’ll see if I can find a place to put it later today.

3 Likes

Perhaps a new top level category: “Associated Trimble Products” with sub-categories “Trimble Connect”, “Sefaira” and “Sefaira Plugin”?

For now, I’m just making it top level… we can revisit the “associated products” at some point. Maybe we let the product manager for each product fight for where they want to be positioned. Here’s the new category, it’ll need a description but I’m out of words to type today, so we’ll add it later.

The “About” thread needs to be filied out. @sjdorst, any ideas ?

Use the following paragraphs for a longer description, or to establish category guidelines or rules:

Why should people use this category? What is it for?

How exactly is this different than the other categories we already have?

What should topics in this category generally contain?

Do we need this category? Can we merge with another category, or subcategory?

Something like:
Trimble Connect is a separate Trimble product that interacts with SketchUp to provide the following:

• For web based versions of SketchUp (Free and Shop) it is the primary storage location for your models. (SketchUp for Schools uses Google Drive).
  • For desktop based versions of SketchUp, it can be used for file storage if you use the Trimble Connect extension, but unlike web based versions, it isn’t real time, nor is it required.
  • The free version (included with SketchUp Free and Shop - and available to anyone else who signs up) provides a limited file sharing ability that is more flexible than the “Everyone or Nobody” options available through the 3D Warehouse. Paid versions significantly enhance this ability.

The above uses of Trimble Connect are fair game for discussion in this category.

Trimble Connect offers more functionality than described above including gathering models (SketchUp, Layout, and others!) and documents into projects which you can share with your choice of reviewers. You and others can then collaborate on the project with collaboration tools including commenting, suggesting, and (I think) versioning.

These other uses of Trimble Connect are a bit far afield from the central focus of this overall forum (SketchUp and Layout) and might be better discussed elsewhere - but the people here are quite helpful - if they think you’ll get better help elsewhere, they’ll say so and usually point you to where you should post. So don’t worry too much about whether your Trimble Connect inquiry exactly matches this category/forum.

2 Likes

At the bottom the following links …

* [Trimble Connect Forum](https://community.trimble.com/community/find-answers/connect-help/content?filterID=contentstatus%5Bpublished%5D~category%5Busers-forum%5D)

* [Trimble Connect - Sales Contact Form](https://connect.trimble.com/contact-us.html)

* [Trimble Connect - Support Request Form](https://www.trimble.com/support/support_request.aspx)

@jody The “About” thread still needs to be filled out. The 2 posts above give ideas for content.

1 Like

I pretty much stole Steven’s description. Well stated and has a perfect helpful, community tone. Thanks for staying on this in spite of my best efforts (apparently) to forget about it. (c:

2 Likes

Don’t forget to credit @DanRathbun for the links!

Thanx. I guess you just did. :man_shrugging: It wasn’t much work really.