Walls don't appear to form a loop

Hello, I’m new to SketchUp. About a week and a half old, to it. I’ve watched most of the beginner videos and I’ve built my house with floor plans imported. I’m at the point where I need to add a roof and I’ve tried to generate the roof, however it tells me I can not generate the roof because, “my walls don’t appear to form a loop.” Does anyone know how I can form a loop? I’ve tried connected all the walls. I’ve even deleted some walls I thought where not connected and redrew them. Thanks for your help

Upload your model and show us a screen shot of the error message so we can see exactly what you are getting.

Ok. Will do. Give me one second.

Here is a screenshot of the error. As well a google drive link to the model.

Uploading: claytonhome.png…

Your file is huge. Before I download it, would you please go to Window>Model Info>Statistics and click on Purge Unused. Then save the file and upload that.

lol…oh! ok. I thought it was but didn’t know. I think I’ve been doing something wrong for it to be so huge…lol…Ok give me a sec. I’ll do that.

it’s still too large to upload here. I have to get rid of some stuff. I have like 1 million edges it says in that stat report and like 2 mill faces. How can i delete some of that? My gut tells me that shouldn’t be that high.

Probably shouldn’t bee that big. My guess is you’ve gotten ahead of yourself and started adding furniture from the 3D Warehouse and you like over-stuffed couches and chairs and highly detailed beds, toilets, and bath tubs.

Your image didn’t upload either.

I’m about to get started with a student so for the moment, try this: I’m thinking you’re trying to use Follow Me to create the roof. trace around the perimeter of the walls and make sure you get a face (sort of the ceiling for the entire house. Select that face and then get the Follow Me tool. Click on the profile. See if that gets you what you are after.

Yes! That’s exactly what I’ve done. I’ve added 3D stuff. I will try what you said. Thank you.

Good general practice is to refrain from cluttering your model with furniture and stuff until after the house is built. Imagine if you were a carpenter trying to build a house while the owners were moving in. Also avoid adding textures because they can conceal problems with the geometry. Get the house built correctly first. Only then go back and add materials and finally add the appliances and furniture.

Ahhhh! ok. I may start over now.

2 Likes

You can save the furniture if you like in the old file and just transfer it over when your model is ready for that. Still most Warehouse models are not good. Some are from other programs and are too complex for SketchUp.

It sounds like you are using a roof plugin. Please let us know what that is.

I’m using Plusspec roof tool.

Yeah I had no idea about Warehouse. Just opened it and saw some things I liked and went for it. lol…What do you recommend I use for furniture and things, when I get my house built?

Well that would be important information to help you.

The Warehouse is fine but best practice is to bring components into a separate file to examine and clean up before putting them in your final model. Often components are bloated and overly detailed for using in larger models.

2 Likes

Reinforcing and building atop what @DaveR wrote, it is important while developing a model to distinguish between the essentials of the model and those things which are often called “entourage”. That is to say, decorative elements that may be useful for giving a fuller presentation but that aren’t really parts of what you are modeling. Furniture and furnishings almost always fall into this category as do things like artwork on walls, table lamps, vases, etc. Always delay adding entourage until you have got the real model finished, then add them if needed to make a nicer presentation.

2 Likes

Well you may find some good things there too, from specific authors and manufacturers. Search SketchUcation for free posted furniture, and they do have some for sale that is good (if you don’t mind spending a few bucks for each).

The main thing to do with 3DWarehouse is to first look at the size of the file. Getting above 1 MB is unecessary for much furnishings but some models warrant that. Look for lower poly counts and fewer textures.

Download it separately or into a blank file and look at it.

Does it have nice textures ?( you will eventually learn to see whether it has TOO LARGE (in bytes)textures or poor textures). If you aren’t in love with them, I’d remove them and add your own at some point. I often find models online where the texture is the wrong scale or too large ( bytes -pixels). (The byte size of the textures can also be reduced without hurting the effect in SketchUp but you have to learn how to do that later.)

Does it have nice geometry?Use “show hidden geometry” and see whether the geometry looks messy or way too detailed for what you need. Some furniture or even things such as wine glasses can have more faces and edges than anything else in the model, or sometimes the whole model. They will slow your model down.

Trees and plants are necessarily complex too so you have to watch that. Add all this stuff with care and later in the process of working on your model.

And another thing with the warehouse, the models there may give you ideas for modeling your own lean and nicer furniture (etc.) models for use in your buildings.

Thanks for that tip. I’m going to remove all that stuff and start over.

@pbacot raises an important bit of info: trees, shrubs, grass, and similar vegetation are notoriously over-modeled in the 3D Warehouse and can bloat your model so badly that it becomes unworkable. I’ve seen models of trees in which a single tree has nearly a million faces!

Save a copy of the model and you can get some things later if you change your mind. And when you do remove unwanted materials, “purge unused” in the Model info window. That will get rid of materials and other things you don’t need. Be aware that components that are in the model’s collection but not used in the model itself will be removed thereby as well. Also it will purge empty layers or tags.

Another thing that imported models do is import extraneous layers. I usually like to remove all those layers and have all the furniture model elements assigned to Layer0 (Tag0). I find other people’s layers clutter the organization of my model. Later you can assigned the imported furniture component to a catch-all “furniture” layer / tag.

Good evening. I was wondering if you could help me with my roof. Im now trying to add a gable. But I seem to be running into an issue because my wall heights around my house are not the same. At least that’s what my designer tells me, based on the floor plan. Can you take a look at what I have?

Inside my file are the pdf files of the floor plan and elevations. My Sketchup File