Waiting for a call from SketchUp sales

I teach at the Brookfield Craft Center, in Connecticut. Our digital lab has computers loaded with SketchUp Make 2017—obviously not a good long-term propositon. So about three weeks ago I went to the SketchUp web site to inquire about discounts on SketchUp Pro. “You’re all set! Someone will be in touch soon” was the message I got after filling in all the blanks.
Well, I’m still waiting. What does a fella have to do to hear from SketchUp’s sales people?

I’m curious why ‘years of using the free version’ would speed up a decisions on organising a discount for you?
Just to be clear David, I’m well aware of who you are and your work, I was present during a basecamp presentation of yours, but I don’t understand how that’s relevant

Good question. I have two concerns. One, since Make 2017 is no longer supported, if something were to go wrong, I’d be out of luck; either I wouldn’t be able to teach an upcoming class or, worse, I woudn’t be able to proceed when in the middle of a class. Two, The newer versions of SketchUp have features that Make 2017 lacks. Chief among them is Flip replacing Flip Along. Sure, the fundamentals of SketchUp haven’t changed in decades. But those details matter.

I deleted my post before you replied.

I don’t understand what you are now saying, if something were to go wrong?! If you are teaching using 2017 Make then something has already gone wrong. However it isn’t suddenly going to stop working mid class, unless someone perhaps updates their operating system mid class.
Trimble doesn’t have an off switch they are waiting to use, if you upgrade your systems beyond what they support then things may change.
Flip along may have recently changed, and will probably continue to develop, as teachers we need to move with those changes. If we don’t we run the risk of designing steam engines for work rather than for fun.

Yeah, I overstated the potential problem of running outdated software. But, as you say, if we upgrade our systems beyond what Trimble supports, then problems can arise.

OK, I have undeleted my earlier post in an attempt to avoid any thread confusion.

But I’m still lost.

Simply put, Make 2017 is six years out of date, no longer supported, and missing newer features. Why wouldn’t I want to teach with a more up-to-date version of the software?

Have you investigated pricing for multiple seats or perhaps the Brookfield Craft Center might be able to qualify for educational pricing. You might try going through the Educational contact line?

I’m open to anything. But I’m a little miffed that SketchUp hasn’t responded to me.

I did tell the EDU people about your post three days ago. One complication is that education sales are handled through Creation Engine, and I don’t have a direct way to prompt them to reply to you. You could look at this page to see what the costs would be for students or teachers:

About older versions of SketchUp on newer versions of macOS… SketchUp only support the current version and the two previous versions, which at this point means that even 2020 is off the list, so you won’t get any official answer about whether 2017 Make should work ok.

For what it’s worth, on my own Mac I have macOS 14.0 running (the one that will be named Sonoma), and 2017 Make still opens and runs ok. But, it’s a general case that the earlier you go with SketchUp, and later with macOS, the less likely it is to work. 2016 opens ok, but doesn’t last all day. 2015 doesn’t even give a hint of starting up ok.

So, a much later macOS than the one you are using might still open 2017 Make, but there would be a good chance it might crash during a school day. Reopening it ought to give you another few hours.

Many thanks, Colin. I’ve looked at the Creation Engine site and forwarded the information to the executive director and artist in residence at our craft center. They’re the ones who write the checks.